Dema.RAL tamper discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dema.RAL tamper discussion

So since youre here... was this the "revolutionary new design thats supposed to dramatically reduce channelling" youd heard about some time ago?

Re: Dema.RAL tamper discussion

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1226934588/0#11 date=1227148433
    So since youre here... was this the "revolutionary new design thats supposed to dramatically reduce channelling" youd heard about some time ago?
    No.  That tamper still hasnt made it to market.

Angelo has released his tamper with prongs to keep it level, though.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1226934588/0#12 date=1227152191

No.  That tamper still hasnt made it to market.

Angelo has released his tamper with prongs to keep it level, though.

Cheers,

Luca
      And that tamper made an appearance at the vic barista/latte art comps recently.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreasM link=1226934588/0#13 date=1227170715
        Sooo... What makes this Tamper distinctive? Any photos or sketches?

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1226934588/0#14 date=1227170939
          Originally posted by AndreasM link=1226934588/0#13 date=1227170715
          Sooo... What makes this Tamper distinctive? Any photos or sketches?

Mal.
          I think that Angelos tamper is called the "Demaral." You can google for the web page with the manual. I havent used it yet. The three prongs on the side are supposed to keep the tamper base level. I dont think it goes by pressure; you can set the depth. It feels like a nice hunk of metal.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

James Hoffman uses one (ripple base tamper) on one of his vomeo vids.

Although the circles cover the entire surface of the puck.

[img][img]

Comment

I think that Angelos tamper is called the "Demaral." You can google for the web page with the manual. I havent used it yet. The three prongs on the side are supposed to keep the tamper base level. I dont think it goes by pressure; you can set the depth. It feels like a nice hunk of metal.

Cheers,

Luca

The only distributor noted on the "Demeral" site is Diamond C Services
              I might call the Brisbane office after things settle down from the recent storms to see if one is available to see and $$ cost

KK

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1226934588/0#15 date=1227180142
                Thanks Luca....

Very clever. I think the handle wouldnt suit me though, I need something with a bit more width at the top so it will sit in my hand a bit better. Only a small whinge though...

Mal.

Comment

was looking at that Demeral tamper a little while ago.... one question though... what happens if you want a real low dose... are you gonna end up with a light tamp cos you cant tamp down far enough? Just a thought. Cool bit of equipment though.

Comment

Hi Mal. Luca and YeeZa. This is Angelo. Luca Ive known you for a while now, the others I dont Know. The reason behind this tamper is to introduce concistancy across the board for a franchise company or a chain of coffee shops using set doses not grind on demand, yes if you want a real low dose and is outside of your normal range it wont press it but then again if you consistantly drop a low dose you can setup the tamper to this depth. The prototype was first shown to a close friend Milton, 3 months later I showed it to Joseph (Caffenatics) I have two other styles I am working on and will hand delliver to Andreas ("ATMC" Melb") and Con 7 grams Melb. Mal: The handle size is straight out of an Ergonomics hand book, it is to suit the happy medium but custom sizes will be hand turned for the professional/comp barista. Cheers, feel free to e-mail.

Comment

Regarding the tamper with grooves on the tamping face! This reminds me of Chill Plates used in Sand molds in particular, casting alluminium. Im my time at Comalco research center we used chill plates to controll solidification rates, selecting material, depth and width of grooves in the chill plate resulted in a vast diference in cooling rate, the same principle may apply here, by increasing depth, width and spacing of the grooves you are increasing the surface area therefor increasing the volume of water which first comes in contact with the coffee, and if this is the case would only work well with restrettos as it will take 2-3 seconds for the water to fully saturate 5mm depth into the coffee puck.

Comment

The "Demaral" looks very interesting from what I could see from the image, I theorize that its design is a useful addition for those who have difficulty tamping on the level (including folks with some sort of physical ailment or disability such as carpal tunnel, etc.) or even in a shop where it would cut down on coffee wasted by unskilled labor. It is one of (if not the only) "innovative" tampers that I would be interested in reviewing.

The benefits in terms of better espresso of the ripple-bottomed tamper appear questionable. if someone has one of them, try this: tamp as usual, and before locking the PF in place, pour about one-half ounce of hot water into the top of the PF. Allow it to soak in and check the depth of the remaining rings. I would think that coffee does not possess the "structural integrity" (cohesiveness, or whatever you wish to call it) to hold up to the flow of water in such a formation as created by the ridges. But much like crosshatch grill marks on BBQ steak, it looks pretty, but in the case of the espresso, does not visually enhance the final product.

The most important factor in choosing a tamper is that it fits your hand and allows you to tamp on the level. If it looks good to you, like jewelry, then that is fine as well. I like nice tools, but ones that get the job done affordably I find just as enticing... As long as it works for you, whatever the reason you bought it is what counts. But I doubt that anyone could taste the difference between two espressi made with two different tampers is handled by an experienced barista- home or otherwise.

Comment

Hi Ang,

I think that the others are scattered all around Australia, so no real reason why you should know them.

If youve got any tampers sitting around spare, Id love to give one a try.

Cheers,

Luca

PS. Not sure if I ever got to say nice work on the lights that you put in the FB80 at Cafenatics Suncorp.

Comment

Hey Angelo

Good work on the design
                            Its good to see someone is thinking outside the square

Your design will probably help with my machine as I need to tamp 8mm deep for the puck to clear the screen

Does it come with a convex profile?

KK

Comment

Hi KK, Yes it will be available with a convex tamping face, I can see you are one of the few to keep clear of the shower screen.
                              As soon as the toolmaker is finished with the profile cutting tool Ill make a few and let you know how thay went. I do need to know basket diameter, How deep is the Groove on the basket from the top and is the groove inwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X