This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: E-61 Group Machines - Brew Lever Lubrication

oh come you guys, dont you think youre all being a little harsh on me, it was Nescafe Blend 43 afterall 8-)

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Banjo link=1229912600/0#15 date=1230098188
      oh come you guys, dont you think youre all being a little harsh on me, it was Nescafe Blend 43 afterall   8-)

Darren
      Gasp! Have you completely lost your sense of decency Darren? You ARE a CoffeeSnob are you not? I thought it was an unwritten law that Thou shall not voluntarily drink instant coffee. At least it wasnt Caterers Blend

Comment

the other thing with vaseline is it may affect the rubber and neophrene seals as it seems to absorb the petroleum based product and cause the seal to soften and expand, also can cause the seal to break down and melt into a black goopy mess :-p

I use a food grade lube on my beer keg Orings, it seems to be petroleum based, over time the Orings expand and it becomes very hard to fit the snapon beer line and gas connectors, fitting new Orings fixes the problem,

the high temp silicone product would be the best all round.

Comment

Where can I get cheap Molykote 111 or similar?
          I dont really want to spend $42 to lube my brew lever.

Comment

Originally posted by 627E680A0 link=1229912600/18#18 date=1232081131
            Where can I get cheap Molykote 111 or similar?
            See Reply #7 above. Link provided there

Comment

Owners of E-61 Group Machines - Lever Lubrication

Gday CSrs....

This has been a topic on and off over the last few years and it just so happens that a source for an ideal alternative has come to light, from our friends at Jaycar.... Whod a thought

Anyway, heres a link to the stuff Im referring to just in case youve got some maintenance planned for your machine in the near future.... http://tinyurl.com/bwhw6a

Mal.

Comment

Re: Owners of E-61 Group Machines - Lever Lubrication

Yep
                We all could use some of that
                Lucky for me my closest Jaycar store is 4 km or 2 suburbs from home

KK

Comment

Say, how do you remove the lever to lube? Is it as simple as unscrewing the bits that can be unscrewed or are there parts that might pop out and not fit in properly if done wrongly?

Comment

Originally posted by 5F7466457E546261637462627E110 link=1235049281/2#2 date=1235082311
                    or are there parts that might pop out and not fit in properly if done wrongly?
                    Ooh yeah!

The shaft on a HX machine has a spring and a couple of seals on it, the latter centre the shaft and allow it to rotate. These seals should be replaced every so often eg. annual service. The fun begins when relocating the cam on the end of the shaft back into place. Its a bit fiddly.

Comment

Originally posted by 5F7E757572681B0 link=1235049281/3#3 date=1235084034
                      The fun begins when relocating the cam on the end of the shaft back into place.Its a bit fiddly.
                      Thanks for the warning. I have my new seals ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by 0C302D363C3D2A3F373C580 link=1235049281/4#4 date=1235086872
                        Thanks for the warning. I have my new seals ready to go.
                        If you have a digital camers handy, take pics at every stage. Can be very helpful in a number of applications.

Comment

Originally posted by 17363D3D3A20530 link=1235049281/5#5 date=1235089234
                          If you have a digital camers handy, take pics at every stage.Can be very helpful in a number of applications.
                          Okey dokey.

Comment

Heres a couple of links to an exploded parts diagram, a parts list reference and a How-To which may be of some assistance....

http://biobug.org/coffee/giotto/diags/e61.jpg

http://biobug.org/coffee/giotto/diag...parts-list.pdf

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/e61-group-servicing

Cheers,
                            Mal.

Comment

For anyone wanting to service their dry lever , the task is simple enough ........ BUT please use the correct tools.

10mm ring spanner to remove lever nut
                              22mm ring spanner to remove spring and bush retaining nut
                              5mm allen key to remove lever support case bolt.

None of these nuts or bolts were all that tight on my Piccolo when I took it apart , so on re-assembly all were done up no more than firm pressure.

Like others I also used a bit of 240 grit wet & dry to lightly buff the cam surface before applying grease. Operation of lever after this minor service was silky smooth.

So all is good

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 2C2B30372C2B20440 link=1229912600/20#20 date=1236810513
                                Like others I also useda bit of 240 grit wet & dry to lightly buff the cam surface
                                Having serviced a number of machine levers, Ive never found the need to use an abrasive on the cam surface. If I did, Id probably start by trying an 800 grit and work down from there if need be. Its probably no big deal though, as I dont think a micron either way would matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X