Boiler Insulating with Armaflex HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler Insulating with Armaflex HT

Last week I bit the bullet and ordered a box (6 square metres) of 19mm thick  Armaflex HT. Yesterday I used some of it to lag (cover) the boiler on my Futurmat 2 group.

http://www.armacell.com/www/armacell/armacell.nsf/ansHTMLSeitenLookUp/AusTI_Frame?OpenDocument

I am only sorry that I didnt do it sooner.

Last weekend I replaced the diaphragm in my machines pressurestat and measured the duty cycle of the heating element which was as follows:-
    Heating element on:- 50 seconds
    Heating element off:- 250 seconds (these measurements were the average taken of the machine once fully warmed at idle over 6 readings)

After covering the boiler with Armaflex the readings were taken in the same way:-
    Heating element on:- 50 seconds
    Heating element off:- 710 seconds

This is a huge reduction in heater element activity (read power consumption).

It also appeals to me that associated electrics are no longer exposed to boiler heat as before. If I turn the machine off it still retains heat to the tune of 65C 6 hours later, which means it is really quick to get up to speed if turned on again at this time. From a startup where the water is at room temperature, the machine is fully-warmed up in 10 minutes less than before insulation.

After installation I havent noticed any new smells and if you read the safety information on the Armacell website you wouldnt expect to either. It has no shards like asbestos or glass fibre and is safe to contact materials that have an operating temperature of 150C with spikes up to 175C.

I am impressed!!

Cheers,
    Paolo

Re: Boiler Insulating with Armaflex HT

Good one Paolo..... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Mal will this mod work the DG
      I was told to leave the slots on top of my machine unblocked to allow for
      1) heat to escape
      2) keep cups warm

Originally posted by 7C4D4340432C0 link=1234688068/0#0 date=1234688068
      t also appeals to me that associated electrics are no longer exposed to boiler heat as before.
      Based on Paolos info this could be to keep the electrics cool so if the boiler is insulated the electrics would stay cooler due to less radiated heat

I have some insulating foam but am reluctant to fit it

KK

Comment

So any chance of getting hold of some of the 6m2 sheet????

Comment

Thanks, Mal....you can probably gather that I am really happy with the results.

KK, just be sure that the foam that you use is safe ie. no fumes, shards etc. Is it temperature rated? The Armaflex HT is actually designed as a heat insulation material. What sort of foam do you have?

Hi Moto Coffee....I used less than 1m2 to do my boiler. Just pm me if you would like some Armaflex HT.

Cheers,
          Paolo

Comment

Originally posted by 67434A4A49497367435F41432C0 link=1234688068/2#2 date=1234749874
            Mal will this mod work the DG
            I was told to leave the slots on top of my machine unblocked to allow for
            1) heat to escape
            2) keep cups warm
            I dont think Paolo insulated the internal surface of the s/s panels, etc.... Just the Boiler itself. It is, as you have pointed out, highly detrimental to insulate the internal panel-work surfaces.

Whether you want to attempt this with your Bezz DG will probably have more to do with its current warranty status as doing this may be grounds for refusing to uphold the warranty.... Unless you can get permission from your vendor in writing of course....

Mal.

Comment

Hi KK,
              Mal is of course correct. It was only the boiler that I insulated.

Comment

Originally posted by 1D30343835590 link=1234688068/5#5 date=1234777722
                I dont think Paolo insulated the internal surface of the s/s panels, etc.... Just the Boiler itself. It is, as you have pointed out, highly detrimental to insulate the internal panel-work surfaces.

Yes I only want to insulate the boiler also
                It just the correlation between the heat generated by the naked boiler and the open slots go hand in hand

I will take a drive to Barazi and ask Jack I have to return a PF basket to them and ask some questions while I am there

Originally posted by 0938363536590 link=1234688068/4#4 date=1234777071
                KK, just be sure that the foam that you use is safe ie. no fumes, shards etc. Is it temperature rated?
                Paolo the foam is for steam pipes so it should be ok I think??
                KK

Comment

Hi KK,
                  Armaflex makes HT in sheets (like I have) and also in tubular form to cover pipes. The specs state that the Armaflex HT is designed and rated to thermally insulate objects that have a temperature of (up to and including ) 150C.

The rep. told me that it will be effective at temperature spikes up to 175C.

Maybe Jack will be able to tell you what temperature espresso boilers surfaces typically reach.

Cheers,
                  Paolo

Comment

Gday KK,

Its not a good idea to insulate any pipework involved in the thermosyphon/HX circuit as this will alter the thermodynamics of the machine, maybe even to the stage where it becomes unusable. Insulating the pipework to the Steam Valve should be OK though.

It just the correlation between the heat generated by the naked boiler and the open slots go hand in hand
                    Im not sure what you mean exactly here mate? Are you referring to a reduction in cup warming capability? If so, you are correct; the top of the machine (and interior space) will run cooler as Paolo mentioned, mainly as one justification for doing it in the first place. If cup warming on top of the machine is important to you, then insulating the Boiler may not suit you....

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 4F62666A670B0 link=1234688068/9#9 date=1234879967
                      Im not sure what you mean exactly here mate? Are you referring to a reduction in cup warming capability? If so, you are correct; the top of the machine (and interior space) will run cooler as Paolo mentioned, mainly as one justification for doing it in the first place. If cup warming on top of the machine is important to you, then insulating the Boiler may not suit you....

Mal.
                      Sorry what I meant was the design of the machine enables heat is to escape past the slots on top to keep the electrics inside the casing cool as well as cup warming

If I was to insulate it would be the boiler only
                      Reducing the on/off nature of the element will hopefully extend its life along with associated switches

I dont use the top of the machine for cup storage/warming

Good point you raised about the HX circuit

KK

Comment

Hey Paolo,...
                        Nice work.... do you have any pics???!?

Comment

Hi Zedd,
                          Ill take the sides off the Futurmat when I get a few minutes and take some photos. The ones that I took last weekend were with a borrowed camera and are a bit fuzzy.

Comment

Hi Zedd,
                            I took some more photos of the insulated boiler.

I used 5cm wide velcro rather than 2cm as it provides a MUCH greater support and also wont tear or "worry" the Armaflex HT like the 2cm velcro would tend to do.

Cheers,
                            Paolo

Comment

And some more....

Comment

Working...
                              X