knockbox which one??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knockbox which one??

hey guys I know it really isnt a huge thing, but I need a new knockbox, what brand should I get, there are plenty out there!
    Im look at a Grindestein box... thoughts??

cheers

Re: knockbox which one??

I use a Bumper knock box, cost me $49.95, does a good job, there are cheaper ones that Im sure do just as a good a job. My son has a Sunbeam bang bang its nice and solid.

Comment

Here is another vote for a Sunbeam bang bang, nice solid unit no fuss unit. Sits solidly on the bench and doesnt move around.

Comment

Or you could make one...then youd get exactly what you want and probably at less than half the cost...

Comment

I really like the Grindstein.  Great design, tough, great size, fits under the grouphead for neat/convenient storage if needed, choice of colours, Aussie designed, Aussie made.

Whats that TG, you think its too small?

Bah!!!  :P

(Ive never had a puck miss yet, it holds about 6 before you need to consider emptying it and I dont get stray puck bits falling outside the container - but I know Thundergod aint a fan, hence the mild wind-up!)

Epic76

Comment

Im with scoota gal, why not make your own?
            Some PVC pipe, caps and your choice for the bar you bang the puck out on. apart from a bit of time, it will be much cheaper.
            Works great, can be made as long, or short as you like.
            You could paint it any colour you like, and
            you can even make a lid for it to keep the aroma in check.
            ( I cant smell the contents even when Im on top of it, but my wife has keen sense of smell and she doesnt get offended when the lid is on)

Comment

Check out the various DIY ones found here inspired by NewToEspresso.
              http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1233380075/0#0

Comment

Hi mmmcoffee:

I guess choosing the right knock box is a bit like choosing a Tamper (or even choosing an espresso machine for that matter, a wide range of products would "do" the job (espresso, residue storage, create resistance, etc...), but not all would match your preferences, kitchen bench and wallet.... we normally advise base on the following:

1. Dimensions: Are we limited with bench space? then we may look at the smallest foot print knock box, some people would even put it in their cabinet after the coffee making....Grindestein would do a great job with that, being only 10cm in diameter..

2. Aesthetics : do we personally like plastic, wood, stainless steel? do we have a kitchen color scheme wed like the knock bin color / material to match to? do we aim at matching it to the machine or other barista accessories color? the Grindestein are available in 5 different colors, the Coffee Been available in 8 colors. Bumper has a shiny metal finish and would go well with an all steel look..

3. Volume: if were a serious entertainer, we may want to choose a wider diameter bin that contains more cakes, like the Bumper, saving you those visits to the rubbish bin when youre really busy....the Grindestin can hold only 5 cakes max before youd need to empty it.

4. Durability / cleaning: the Grindestein is easy to clean and it is dishwater proof. I wouldnt recommend putting the Coffee Been or the Bumper in your dishwasher....additionally, the hard plastic rod in the middle is tough, and would take many banging before itll show signs of wearing out...the Coffee Been rod is made out of rubber that would wear out more quickly, however it is available as a replacement part. The Bumper has a thicker and better grade rubber rod that would take long to wear out and it also come with an extra set of all the rubber parts.

I have a white Grindestein at home. Not very practical color, as coffee stains are noticeable and not easy to get rid of, however weve been using it for almost 3 years and it hasnt shown any signs of fatigue...I may have upgraded to the Bumper if I had more space just because I love the look of it but theres really not much left on my bench to remove making the extra room for it...:-/

All knock bins, including coffee draws (suitable for those limited spaces and as a leverage for your grinder) are available online on:

http://www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=43

Hope that was helpful! Ofra

Comment

Dont forget our good friends at CoffeeParts.... http://coffeeparts.com/accessories/knockingtubes.html They have most of the KBs referred to above, plus some very nifty little units in a wide range of colours to pretty well suit any decor,

Mal.

Comment

my grindenstein snapped in the middle of the bar - they say it has a lifetime warranty (i think), but receipt is well gone. Still using it snapped (as the rubber bit holds it together still). After taking it apart, it does look like there is actually a join in the middle of the bar where it snapped. So if you get one, maybe hold onto receipt just in case! other than that, I dont have any problem with it.

Comment

Thanks guys looked at the Grindstein today we r very limited for space and like how small but useful it is. Dont mind having to empty itmore often.
                      Does anyone know if there is a replacement rubbers for the bar??

Comment

Damian1 just read that there is a 30 year warrantye on Grndensteim box should be able to call them and sort out a replacement? Google them its easy to find

Comment

Thanks for that - I will have to see if I can get myself a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by 4144484C444B14250 link=1239111464/12#12 date=1239431175
                            Thanks for that - I will have to see if I can get myself a new one.  
                            Have you gotten an update on this Damian? Looking to buy one myself and would like to know what sort of follow up customer service you get.

Comment

no - too busy at the moment. I have libved with it broken for about 1yr, so it can wait for now. But I will try eventually!

Comment

Working...
                              X