She just doesnt get it - Tampers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She just doesnt get it - Tampers

Just a couple of days ago upgraded to the Rancilio Silvia, super excited and happy with the shots made and of course they could be better!

The tamper that came with the silvia is soooo crappy, wife told me to get it replaced by rancilio? What? Told her that wasnt possible, is it possible? anyone?

Told her I wanted a Pullman Tamper and it cost $100, she total freaked out and said do I really need to get something so expensive?

Ive been looking around and most range about $50 to $75 depending if they are aluminium or Stainless Steel. The most budget one I can find are the full silver ones that go for about $25 from most sponsors that has a slight convex.

Most here probably have a Pullman, and I would probably get one down the track when I win lotto or something jk :P
    Would any of you CS recommend a noob CS a half decent and affordable tamper.

Hope Im not asking for too much!

Poohjay

P.s: Anyone from Pullman Tamper reading this, when are you going to do a little financial crisis sale so we all can get a decent tamper ;D

Re: She just doesnt get it - Tampers

The SS one from Coffee Parts is nice.
    Not as expensive as a Pullman but not fitted either.
    They weigh over 1/2kg and feel very nice and the weight seems to make tamping feel easier.

Comment

Anything will be better than the plastic job you get with ones machine
      And it does not matter if the machine costs over 3K you still get the same plastic tamper

I am sure most sponsors will stock a rattle-ware tamper at a very reasonable price

Or you can put in an add in the wanted section of the forum and if someone has a spare one they want to part with

I am sure you will find one

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 0F303037353E265F0 link=1242797071/0#0 date=1242797071
        get it replaced by rancilio? What? Told her that wasnt possible, is it possible? anyone?
        They probably would replace it - with another plastic one!

Have you tried the vendor you bought the Silvia from? They might do a deal on a better tamper.

Comment

On a budget another vote for the Rattleware, I had one for my old machine, good quality stainless base and well weighted handle it was  good fit to the baskets I had too.

That being said I am currently waiting on a custom Pullman (should be in the mail by now I hope ). edit just got an email from Gregg it has left 8-)
          Best solution is these cases is sell the SO to fund the desired device what ever it may be ;D

Comment

I got a rattleware one that worked OK, but quickly upgraded to a pullman. nice to have a tamper that fits...

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! Actually bought my Silvia from CoffeeParts as they were doing the machine for fairly cheap -$689 and the lady on the phone was pretty nice about reserving me one.

My dilemma is if I spend $50-$60 for some a rattle-ware or something similiar its getting very close to the price of a Pullman.

Need to wear the wife down with the justifications & nagging ;D

wish me luck!

Comment

Just get it. As the saying goes "Easier to beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission"

But I never have met anybody who lived by that...

Comment

Hmm ... maybe a Pullman will magically appear one day and hopefully she doesnt notice!

That is so evil but I totally dig the idea!

Now the long wait for payday booo!

Comment

Not sure where you are located but here in Brisbane Di Bella sell decent quality stainless steel tampers in various sizes... mine cost around $25 and it does the trick very nicely for my little setup. Worth a trip... and pick up some green beans or roasted while youre there.

Comment

Just go for the Pullman, it will be worth every cent!!!

Just tell SWMBO that it will outlast any pair of shoes she is likely to buy ;D

Comment

While not wanting to rubbish a product unsighted if they are the same Tampers that Di Bella had in Melbourne then they were not very comfortable in my hands anyway. The Handles were skinny and to tall.

Comment

Hmm ... maybe a Pullman will magically appear one day and hopefully she doesnt notice!

That is so evil but I totally dig the idea!  Wink

Now the long wait for payday booo!
                          Lol. Totally sympathise with you mate. I also would love to buy a new tamper. I ended up buying the cheap stainless steel evilbay $25 job and I have learned to use it. Would I buy the cheap one again in hindsight? Nope, but I pick my battles and at the time I was justifying the new espresso machine!

Used a mates pullman and it is a lovely piece of art. Definitely on my birthday list.

All the best!

Alistair

Comment

Hi Poohjay

The Pullmans are a nice bit of kit - no doubt about it. I have a deluxe and barista model that were two of few items that survived a fire and the restorers! I happen to prefer using my old deluxe model, particularly when busy, as it has a little more breathing room than my barista model which I find seems to catch on the side of the baskets readily (and yes, the baskets came with the tamper). I also have a personal preference for the bottom weight of the deluxe.

IMHO, the rattleware tamper is great value. Not as easy on the eye, but more than adequate.

And if youre looking for something with a price range in between, and remarkably similar to the barista, the Coffeelab tampers are well worth considering.

Comment

my pullman tamper is being made now i hope, i just tryed a large amount of tamps in the shop and found nothing under $65 that went close to fitting the 58buckets in the silvia, so there was only one option. getting the tamp and bucket made to fit from pullman

Comment

Working...
                              X