Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessories for the Rancilio combo

Hello anybody....

Im looking to accessorize for my much anticipated Rancilio combo and seeking help/advice on a few items.

Does anyone have the s/s drawer?
    Description- Rancilio Double S/S Coffee Drawer
    The Rancilio Double S/S Coffee Drawer matches perfectly the Rancilio Silvia and the Rancilio Rocky Grinder Combo. It keeps your coffee station clean and well organized.

Its left draw, features a wooden rod across the draw to knock your coffee residue into. The right one is a drawer for all your coffee accessories: thermometer, tamper, dosing tools, etc.

I would like to know if this is practical? Do the grinder/espresso units sit on top ok? Any wobbling? Does the pullout knockbox work? Does the other drawer hold all the tools?
    Or am I best to spend the money on a Quality Pullman Tamper & Synesso dbl basket? (although already considering this a must)
    Just wondering if the $180 price tag for the drawers is practical?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Re: Accessories for the Rancilio combo

Originally posted by 272225233F2C2B4D0 link=1243734630/0#0 date=1243734630
    Does anyone have the s/s drawer?
    Description- Rancilio Double S/S Coffee Drawer
    The Rancilio Double S/S Coffee Drawer matches perfectly the Rancilio Silvia and the Rancilio Rocky Grinder Combo. It keeps your coffee station clean and well organized
    See this Di Bartoli link
    http://www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=25

KK

Comment

Thanks KK - thats where I got the description from, just wondering if anyone has it and does it work?

Comment

HI sm,
        I bought the Rancilio Silvia and matching ss/drawer a couple of weeks ago. It looks nicer on the bench but I dont think its a real necessity. In the drawers im just keeping spare baskets, cleaning brush, thermometer and a few other bits and pieces. I dont think youd empty the used puck in the drawer, it would become a cleaning nightmare, thats what the KB is for. The Silvia wobbles a bit because of this drawer but not to be a deal breaker.
        The only reason I bought the stand is to give the machine more height so that when frothing milk you have more height to remove the jug without tilting it and this to me was worth it alone. If I had to do the deal again id still buy it. And Id still buy the pullman and synesso ridgeless as well. Im waiting for my synesso ridgeless to arrive this week sometime.  

.bill

Comment

Thanks Bill.

Yeah! I was wondering what it would be like to empty the drawer after knocking pucks into it, trying to get those little bits that get stuck in the corners - not to mention the residue!
          Didnt think of the height it would give for steaming, a point well noted.

Thanks again.

Comment

get the tamper much more practical and if you are still using the plastic one then it will improve your coffees heaps. i got the synesso basket for the silvia because tamp made to fit and i was worryed about the ridge disturbing the puck

Comment

Thanks Azz I agree.

Not sure about difference between tampers eg. convex/flat and all round weight vs bottom weight. Tried to find some answers thru previous posts so I could stop annoying everyone with sooo many questions - but couldnt find the answer.

Comment

Hi short mac.
                Convex or flat, the ongoing debate. I dont believe that even the experts agree on the answer to this question. Only you can decide on whats right for you. I opted for a convex base when I bought my Pullman Barista tamper recently based on the fact that I had been using a generic convex tamper for well over a year without any problems and also the fact that Silvias shower screen is convex so that the puck fits the shower screen. I am really happy with my choice and apart from its usefullness, it is also a work of art.
                You will probably find that there are other Silvia owners who have flat tampers and are completely happy with them.
                Dont know if this is any help.

Cheers,
                Alan

Comment

Hi Alan...
                  This helps hugely as I was unaware the shower screens were convex. Would I be right in saying that depending on the shower screen shape, this might be a way of determining the shape of a tamper?

Thanks for the advice

ps. Never seen or heard the debate.

Comment

Your guess is as good as mine. It was a fact that I used to make my decision. I might be wrong, but I am happy with my choice.
                    If you look back some ways in the posts you will find threads debating this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 3623383C223328510 link=1243734630/7#7 date=1243757866
                      ...the fact that Silvias shower screen is convex so that the puck fits the shower screen....
                      Hmmm - I though the Silvia had a flat s.screen (certainly looks flat) while the e61s were the convex ones.  Sods - I was getting close to ending the procrastination about ordering a new tamper, now Im all dithery again because I was going for a flat  
                      Sigh.

Comment

Cheers Alan

Comment

they are flat on mine but with the bolt in the middle i can see how the convex would be of advantage. i have a flat pm tamper and have used it with no probs. just personal choice i think it comes down to.

Comment

Hmmm. I dont agree that Silvias shower screen is flat. It may not be very convex but it is still convex just the same. If you put a straight edge across it you will see this, the sides being about half a mm lower than the centre section. If you want to add the standard industrial fixing bolt into the equation then it becomes very convex. I have a very small fixing screw that I turned up using a countersunk phillips head screw, so I wasnt counting that. Other machines that I am not familiar with may have more exaggerated convex shower screens.
                            Anyway, convex or flat tamper? The decision is yours alone.

All the best with your decisions,
                            Alan

Comment

Having not a great deal of experience, I think Ill go convex. I read somewhere convex is good for beginners as it helps maintain an even tamp including sides blah blah something like that!

Thanks again for the input gents.

Comment

Working...
                              X