Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Boiler insulation

Hi,
    Does anyone have any foam insulation material available? Armaflex HT or similar.

Re: Wanted: Boiler insulation

How much are you after?

Comment

The topic of the Armaflex boiler insulation has been mentioned more than a couple of times now.
      Is this item something that Andy might consider adding to the Beanbay at some stage? 8-)
      Sorry to go a bit OT.

Comment

Im currently looking at something for my 2 litre Diadema boiler--but havent found what I want yet.

Greg

Comment

I have a two group Rancilio so I guess I will need about 1 square m?

Comment

Might have that spare will have to check.

Comment

Thanks moto.

Comment

I have a project in the works so I will get to it this weekend and see how much is left over and I will let you know after the W/e.

Comment

Hey moto coffee,
                  did you insulate your boiler on the weekend?

Comment

Hi all,

When I finally had a good look at my boiler, I realised that foam insulation would be difficult as a number of the pipes run quite close (mm) to the boiler, and I really didnt feel like re-routing everything on a brand new machine.

My local kiln insulation supplier was able to provide some offcuts of spun ceramic insulation (good to 1500°C). These were mounted in a pattern of high and low on some aluminium foil insulation and fixed, with some difficulty and no neatness, around the boiler and underneath the existing pipework. I did not insulate either the top of the boiler or the bottom as both have too many connections to make it practical or easy.

The result was that the pressurestat now cycles on for 4 seconds every 75 or 80 seconds rather than 4 seconds ever 50 seconds. Its not as impressive a change as I was hoping for, but it will have to do. And I guess I really shouldnt have expected better than that--its about a 60% improvement.

Sorry, no pics--as I said--it is not pretty!

Greg

ps--the offcuts cost me $10 and I have lots left--if anyone in Adelaide wants to try it, PM me. The aluminium insulation was also a offcut from my local air-con installer--it was free.

Comment

Sorry Ralph, no go on the weekend, my wife decided to organise a social weekend so the machine was on most of it. Not going to insulate a hot machine. ;D Will have a close look this week and estimate how much I will have left and then I can let you know if I am going to have much left.

Comment

Originally posted by 25100705350D100F030E06620 link=1245561908/9#9 date=1246313394

Sorry, no pics--as I said--it is not pretty!

Greg

ps--the offcuts cost me $10 and I have lots left--if anyone in Adelaide wants to try it, PM me. The aluminium insulation was also a offcut from my local air-con installer--it was free.
                        Hey GW

could we have a picture of the "product" you are using, or one of the "sandwich" you made. (left overs)

i am about to rebuild a machine and was going to insulate along the way and looking for ideas.

I would also be interested in some A / HT as well if any pne has some spare or group buy etc

Comment

Hi Maheel,

If you want to see the product, just go to the wifes (or girlfriends) make-up area and look at a bit of cotton wool. Its exactly the same except made from spun ceramic.

Its much finer than glass wool, and not quite as itchy--although I recommend rubber gloves.

The roll I have is about 2-3 inches wide and about the same thick. It separates in layers quite well. I reckon I must have about 10 feet of it, and I have used about 2, separated into layers of about 20-30 mm.

Greg

Comment

Ceramic insulation materials are very hazardous if some of the fibres are inhaled, similar outcomes to those poor buggers who inhaled asbestos fibres. You need to observe stringent personal protection including physical barriers so as to ensure no particles are inhaled either during the installation or afterwards....

Much better to opt for bio-soluble long strand fibreglass materials for this sort of thing, youd hate for you or your family to become exposed to this stuff...

Mal.

Comment

Ill second Mals comments. Spun ceramic insulation is certified for use only in fully enclosed/encased/stabilized applications. While its a great insulator it is not your healths friend.

Java "Dont breathe glass!" phile
                              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X