This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg Pullmans Pressure gauge on the road

New thread started here with updated details. To avoid confusion this thread has been locked.

Hi guys,

I thought that this thread was better placed in the general coffee related area.For some reason, it disappeared on the move. Posts are below. Fortunately I still had a separate window open.

2mcm

telemaster
    OlSmokey

one of the joys of life
    is good coffee

Greg Pullmans pressure gauge for hire- anyone interested?
    Sep 8th, 2009, 6:44am * * Im hiring Gregs gauge which attaches to a filter handle. The deal is that an individual pays Greg $20 and he posts it to you and then you post it back.
    Alternatively, if a few of us do it, he posts it to the first person for $15, who posts it to you (youve paid Greg $15), you post it to the next person whos also paid their $15 and the last person posts it onto Greg.
    Anyone interested?
    Brett
    Back to top *

Nico
    GreenBean

CoffeeSnob
    Sydney, NSW
    Re: Greg Pullmans pressure gauge for hire- anyone interested?
    Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2009, 7:10am I am in. I definately need to adjust the OPV on the Pavoni. Let me know when you are ready to mail it off, and I will PM you my address.

I am in North Ryde, 2113, btw.
    Back to top *
    La Pavoni Pub Single group || Cunill El Tranquilo * * IP Logged

Pullman Espresso Accessories
    Site Sponsor

Tamper Craftsmen, Roaster
    Purists
    Perth / Adelaide
    Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2009, 9:24am Hi guys,

Nice to see some takers on this. The original post is under our sponsor area http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933751 which contains the rules and conditions so Id encourage you to familiarise yourselves with that. After that its basically as telemaster has said - express your interest in a thread such as this one, contact me to arrange payment and then just wait for it to arrive!

Greg

Back to top *
    Premium Designer Stainless Steel / Hardwood Coffee Tampers
    http://www.coffeetamper.com.au

Hottop and Gene Cafe Coffee Roasters
    http://www.thingscoffee.com.au IP Logged

bjeck14
    Roastalot

CoffeeSnob
    Sydney
    Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2009, 10:58am Im definitely interested. Im hoping to have my machine up and running in about a week so any time after then is perfect.

Im in Randwick 2031.

Cheers,
    Ben
    Back to top *
    ||| Gaggia Classic (with silvia steam wand) | Mazzer Mini Manual | Bumper Tamper | Brasilia Portofino 2grp (in progress) ||| Coretto Roaster ||| * * IP Logged

muppet_man67
    OlSmokey

CoffeeSnob

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2009, 11:02am Im also interested, Ive never checked my silvia opv
    Back to top IP Logged

Greg Pullman
    OlSmokey

Tamper craftsman
    Adelaide
    Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2009, 1:24pm OK great guys. Email me to sort out the payment side of things *greg[at]coffeetamperDOTcomDOTau and Ill get the gauge off to telemaster who will forward it on to the next person. Presuming the expressions of interest above are confirmed, itll go to Telemaster, Nico, bjeck14 and muppet_man67 and then to anyone else who wants to get on the end of the queue and then to anyone else in order of payment received.

With all due respect to music snobs, the 12 bar blues has no place round here! *

Greg
    Back to top « Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009, 9:11am by Greg Pullman » *
    Silvia + Watlow SD3C PID | Presso | Mazzer Super Jolly + Mini | Hottop B/P + Gene Cafe | tampers
    Premium hardwood / stainless steel coffee tampers
    http://www.coffeetamper.com.au IP Logged

Greg Pullman
    OlSmokey

Tamper craftsman
    Adelaide
    Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2009, 12:08pm The gauge is now with Telemaster and I expect itll be on the road for the next few weeks, so if anyone else wants to get in on this please express your interest sooner rather than later so youre in line before it finishes its scheduled travels.

Greg
    Back to top *
    Silvia + Watlow SD3C PID | Presso | Mazzer Super Jolly + Mini | Hottop B/P + Gene Cafe | tampers

prc6of7
    GreenBean

CoffeeSnob
    Newcastle
    Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2009, 12:32pm Im in, email on its way.
    Back to top *
    Rancilio Silvia, Rocky Doserless, Corretto Roaster, a dog that looks at me funny... * *IP Logged

telemaster
    OlSmokey

one of the joys of life
    is good coffee
    Winmalee Blue Mountains
    Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2009, 7:08pm Ive done some preliminary testing and seem to be sitting at a hair over 9.5 bars- not bad considering the valve screw was loose when I got the machine and guestimated it! Ill probably post it on to Nico Tuesday.

Does 9.5 sound good do you think?

PS I needed to use plumbers tape as well as the o ring as the kitchen was getting flooded with a fine but powerful spray!

Brett
    Back to top *
    Faema 2 gp Due S, *ECM botticelli single boiler (Watlow 93 PID kit from www.pidkits.com), Greg Pullman tamper, Nuova Simonelli MDXA and Rocky grinders, Gene Cafe roaster * * IP Logged

Nico
    GreenBean

CoffeeSnob
    Sydney, NSW
    Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2009, 9:08pm Hi,

I think bjeck14 needs to get it next, then me. Check with Greg.
    Back to top *
    La Pavoni Pub Single group || Cunill El Tranquilo * * IP Logged

bjeck14
    Roastalot

CoffeeSnob
    Sydney
    Reply #10 - Yesterday at 9:08am Nico,
    Youre next mate. Im flat chat for the next couple of weeks so put myself down the order. I think Im somewhere around last.

Any way, hope its useful for everyone!
    Cheers,
    Ben
    Back to top *
    ||| Gaggia Classic (with silvia steam wand) | Mazzer Mini Manual | Bumper Tamper | Brasilia Portofino 2grp (in progress) ||| Coretto Roaster ||| * * IP Logged

Greg Pullman
    OlSmokey

Tamper craftsman
    Adelaide
    Reply #11 - Yesterday at 9:40am telemaster wrote on Sep 17th, 2009, 7:08pm:
    Ive done some preliminary testing and seem to be sitting at a hair over 9.5 bars- not bad considering the valve screw was loose when I got the machine and guestimated it! Ill probably post it on to Nico Tuesday.

PS I needed to use plumbers tape as well as the o ring as the kitchen was getting flooded with a fine but powerful spray!

Brett

The actual pressure is something you choose. Of course 9 bar is considered optimal but like flat vs convex tampers and how much tamp pressure to use, there may not be one absolute answer. The Coffee Barun set their Synesso for 8.75 bar for example. 9.5 is certainly in the right ball-park, if it was me Id set it at 9.0 but if youve got time itd be interesting to experiment with different pressures and how it affects taste to your palate.

Good note about the plumbers tape on the thread too; feel free to add it it to the instructions sheet!

Greg
    Back to top *

Chris D
    GreenBean

CoffeeSnob
    Melbourne
    Reply #12 - Yesterday at 11:20am Can you please add me to the list of people who need this contraption...

Need to descale and do some general service work on the Grimac this weekend and a shot at finly tunning my machine to 9 bar will top off the service like no tomorrow.

cheers

Chris
    Back to top *
    Full Time Machines
    Grimac La Uno || Gino Rossi RR45

Part Time Machines
    1. La Pavoni
    2. Gaggia Classic
    3. Atomic
    * *IP Logged

telemaster
    OlSmokey

one of the joys of life
    is good coffee
    Winmalee Blue Mountains
    Reply #13 - Yesterday at 12:34pm Greg Pullman wrote on Yesterday at 9:40am:
    telemaster wrote on Sep 17th, 2009, 7:08pm:
    Ive done some preliminary testing and seem to be sitting at a hair over 9.5 bars- not bad considering the valve screw was loose when I got the machine and guestimated it! Ill probably post it on to Nico Tuesday.

Brett

The actual pressure is something you choose. Of course 9 bar is considered optimal but like flat vs convex tampers and how much tamp pressure to use, there may not be one absolute answer. The Coffee Barun set their Synesso for 8.75 bar for example. 9.5 is certainly in the right ball-park, if it was me Id set it at 9.0 but if youve got time itd be interesting to experiment with different pressures and how it affects taste to your palate.

Good note about the plumbers tape on the thread too; feel free to add it it to the instructions sheet!

Greg
    Last edited by Javaphile; 1 November 2013, 12:25 AM. Reason: Add link to new thread

Re: Greg Pullmans Pressure gauge on the road

Reply #12 - Yesterday at 11:20am Can you please add me to the list of people who need this contraption...

Need to descale and do some general service work on the Grimac this weekend and a shot at finly tunning my machine to 9 bar will top off the service like no tomorrow.

cheers

Chris
    Full Time Machines
    Grimac La Uno || Gino Rossi RR45

Part Time Machines
    1. La Pavoni
    2. Gaggia Classic
    3. Atomic
    IP Logged

telemaster
    OlSmokey

one of the joys of life
    is good coffee
    Winmalee Blue Mountains
    Reply #13 - Yesterday at 12:34pm Greg Pullman wrote on Yesterday at 9:40am:
    telemaster wrote on Sep 17th, 2009, 7:08pm:

Brett

Greg

Hi Greg and All
    I dialed it back to the 9 bar mark (just a fraction over 9 on the machines gauge too)- the lock nut was completely loose. There seems to be an increased sweetness. I just a had a double flat white pulled at 14 sec. Also cappuccino and espresso at 25 sec both very sweet and rich (possibly debatable as humidity has just increased). Either way, it is a good experiment and shows that fiddling with the pressure "blind" and relying on pour and taste can get you close!
    Now Ill check the Botticelli (single boiler w PID) and see how close I was with the usual method of volume of water through OPV in 60 sec, then pass gauge onto Nico early next week.

Brett
    Faema 2 gp Due S, ECM botticelli single boiler (Watlow 93 PID kit from www.pidkits.com), Greg Pullman tamper, Nuova Simonelli MDXA and Rocky grinders, Gene Cafe roaster IP Logged

Bill
    Roastalot

CoffeeSnob

Reply #14 - Yesterday at 11:56pm Can you add me to the list as well? Ive never got around to checking the pressure on my Faema and I suspect its set far too high.

Email sent.
    Faema E98 Compact S1, Mazzer Mini E, Pullman Tamper, Modified B&D Popper

Comment

Money has now been sent to you, Greg.

regards,
      Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill, all through. The order so far is:

Telemaster
        Nico
        muppet_man67
        prc6of7
        bill
        ChrisD
        Bjeck14 will be in the mix somewhere but as he explained he prefers to wait a few weeks so will be around the bottom of the queue.

Comment

Hi All - apologies for not sending the pressure gauge on (got it last Thurs) as Ive been laid up for 5 days with some kidney related thing. I post it to Nico ASAP
          Brett

Comment

Update- when I tested the ECM Botticelli with the gauge, I found the trick of amount of water passing through the OPV over 60 sec may have some foibles. Using that method, I set the machine at what was supposed to be 9 bars- Gregs gauge tested it at 11.5 bars, now wound back to 9.
            BTW the gauge is on its way to Nico
            Brett

Comment

The gauge arrived this morning, and I rigged it up earlier this evening. I had some issues at first, since the grouphandle has a little cutout at the top of the lip, and with the gauge on, all the water was streaming out the top. Same tape applied to the rim before fitting the basket, and I managed to get it going.

Shocker!! The machine is pumping out just shy of 15 bar. It explains why I am still getting a relatively fast pour even on the finest grind setting. I reckon the grind I am using would choke the pav if I was getting 9 bar.

I am looking forward to pouring some shots at the correct pressure, even though I am pretty happy with the taste in the cup at the moment.

Comment

Interesting re change in pressure nico- the Botticelli was 2.5 bars too high and really only needed the tiniest grinder adjustment (the Rocky is now stepless and it only needed about 1mm twisted finer) when wound back to 9 bars.
                Brett

Comment

I have not actually adjusted the opv yet. So the comment about the fastish pours on the finest grind apply to the current 15 bar pressure. I am only guessing that I will need a courser grind once its at 9 bar.

Comment

Originally posted by 46414B47280 link=1253305789/8#8 date=1253827769
                    I have not actually adjusted the opv yet. So the comment about the fastish pours on the finest grind apply to the current 15 bar pressure. I am only guessing that I will need a courser grind once its at 9 bar.
                    Id reckon youre right. Id be guessing one click finer on the Cunill (an underrated grinder- just sold mine)

Comment

Originally posted by 5A5D575B340 link=1253305789/6#6 date=1253794921
                      Shocker!! The machine is pumping out just shy of 15 bar. It explains why I am still getting a relatively fast pour even on the finest grind setting. I reckon the grind I am using would choke the pav if I was getting 9 bar.
                      Not necessarily. Higher pressure can often produce slower pours, contrary to common thinking. The higher brew pressure compacts the coffee more tightly, thereby creating a greater restriction to water flow.

Comment

Hi guys.

Sorry about hogging the gauge, but Ive had some gremlins. I will try to get it off to Muppet_Man over the weekend, and Monday at teh latest.

Comment

Originally posted by 787F7579160 link=1253305789/11#11 date=1254443045
                          Hi guys.

Sorry about hogging the gauge, but Ive had some gremlins. I will try to get it off to Muppet_Man over the weekend, and Monday at teh latest.
                          I suspect thatll be the case with most of us- life doesnt run smooth and nor do machine adjustments
                          Brett

Comment

Thats the purpose of getting the gauge and doing the adjustments - eradicating the gremlins! ;D

Theres no particular limit to the time one person can have the gauge because as youve demonstrated you dont know quite what you may find when you come to measure things; the main thing is to get your adjustments done and the espresso flowing true! Im sure others in a combined hire arrangement such as this appreciate that, so as long as theyre kept in the loop and know its not just sitting idly in a drawer somewhere Im sure theyll be happy to bide their time.

Thanks for the update Nico and good luck with the adjustments! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
                            Greg

Comment

Hi all,

As i am expecting the gauge in the next few days, I have been reading what i need to do to adjust the OPV, and found the PDF instruction on how to do it all.

After Reading these instruction and when i descaled my machine, i saw it had the white Nylon type OPV. The PDF say DO NOT ADJUST these.

Firstly has anyone with this type of OPV actually adjusted it succesfully.

If you cannot, where can i buy a new OPV?

Thanks

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X