Attento Click Mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attento Click Mat

Just came across this item on the net.  Cant find anything in OZ about it.

Has anyone tried it?

Heres an overseas link just to show you what it looks like and what it does:
    http://tinyurl.com/y95oq6p

I guess its OK to post the link seeing the product doesnt seem to be available in OZ  

Apparently it sits under your group handle and emits a click when you tamp with the preset pressure which is adjustable.

Sounds like a good idea because you could use it with any tamper and is easily adjustable.  :

Re: Attento Click Mat

Originally posted by 456264636E170 link=1253938340/0#0 date=1253938340
    Apparently it sits under your group handle and emits a click when you tamp with the preset pressure which is adjustable.

Sounds like a good idea because you could use it with any tamper and is easily adjustable.Roll Eyes
    Yes I agree
    Its a great tool for consistent tamping

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 153138383B3B0115312D33315E0 link=1253938340/1#1 date=1253940856
      Yes I agree
      Have you used one, and do you know if they are available locally?

Comment

Originally posted by 4C6B6D6A671E0 link=1253938340/2#2 date=1253941410
        Have you used one, and do you know if they are available locally?
        No I havent used it or seen it in Australia

However after a few hundred tamps you will do it intuitively

KK

Comment

Ive emailed our sponsors to see if they know if its available locally.

Ive found two overseas sources who ship to OZ
          Espresso Road in USA AU$75.65 delivered
          Coffee Hit in the UK around AU$65 delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by 183C353536360C183C203E3C530 link=1253938340/1#1 date=1253940856
            Originally posted by 456264636E170 link=1253938340/0#0 date=1253938340

Sounds like a good idea because you could use it with any tamper and is easily adjustable.Roll Eyes
            Yes I agree

KK
            Hi KK with all respect if you havnt used it or heard any user reviews then all you can claim is that it sounds like a good idea, It could be a completely rubbish product that sux even for use as a door stop or it might be awesome, only people who have used it actually know.

Comment

Originally posted by 2E36333326371C2E222D7574430 link=1253938340/5#5 date=1254015066
              Hi KK with all respect if you havnt used it or heard any user reviews then all you can claim is that it sounds like a good idea, It could be a completely rubbish product that sux even for use as a door stop or it might be awesome, only people who have used it actually know.

Ok then

It sounds like a great tool for consistent tamping as it works on the same principle of the click tamper but in a tamper mat adaptation

Please read all the replies e.g.

Originally posted by 082C252526261C082C302E2C430 link=1253938340/3#3 date=1253941787
              However after a few hundred tamps you will do it intuitively
              KK

Comment

It seems the Attento was once called Xpressivo and is now called Espresso Gear

Does that ring any bells :

Comment

I havent used it and by the look of it I wouldnt bother.  

If youre really concerned about tamp pressure a set of scales will help, as will a decent tamper.  You do have a decent tamper dont you?  :-/

Comment

Originally posted by 4F6E656562780B0 link=1253938340/8#8 date=1254037983
                    If youre really concerned about tamp pressure a set of scales will help
                    I tried scales and was surprised to see how erratic and over the top my tamping was  

The Sunbeam tamper is not all that bad by reports from other CS.  Greg Pullman suggests that if asthetics are not my cup of tea it will probably do the job  

Originally posted by 6C796E6C7B7E6767666A650B0 link=1253774275/3#3 date=1253794442
                    As Dennis has mentioned, more expensive tampers are generally heavier, they can also sometimes look nicer, have better quality machining and better ergonomics. As far as the ones we make, theyre machined to fit properly for each machine (in our books, which is a lot better than 1mm of clearance - can you jiggle your tamper from side to side in the basket much?), youve got height adjustability in the Barista, better ergonomics and comfort, several hand-turned timber handles in the Deluxe, definitely better machining on both than the Sunbeam jobbie, the list goes on. We dont make a big thing out of weight because heavier isnt automatically better; I did however put a lot of work into getting the Barista to be lighter (thats right, not heavier) but balanced, and the feedback weve had is that its a lot nicer to use a lighter and more evenly weighted tamper than swinging half a kilo of bottom-heavy steel all day. People presume heavy = better quality, but when it comes to actually using it its not quite so.

Those sorts of qualities are irrelevant to some people, to others theyre worth a lot. If youre the former type Id just stick with what youve got; if the latter you might like to pop into a nearby sponsor and have a look at a few different tampers. Even if you dont find one you particularly like, you should at least get a bit of an appreciation of where the money goes in the pricier units.

Comment

Well Rusty, I beg to differ. The SB tamper is certainly better than most of the excuses for tampers that come with other espresso equipment, but a decent tamper will improve your shots far better than this attento gizmo.

Anyway, if it makes you happy I think you should go for it.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Dennis. Im leaning towards the Coffee Lab Design tamper or the Pullman Barista. The Coffee Lab is half the price of the Pullman but I like the precision that Greg works to and his very helpful attitude.

I guess the bottom line for a pensioner is the cost

Comment

Why not a Demeral tamper instead? The pressure can be set to whatever you require...

Just a thought...

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 1A3D3B3C31480 link=1253938340/9#9 date=1254039862
                            Originally posted by 4F6E656562780B0 link=1253938340/8#8 date=1254037983
                            If youre really concerned about tamp pressure a set of scales will help
                            The Sunbeam tamper is not all that bad by reports from other CS.  Greg Pullman suggests that if asthetics are not my cup of tea it will probably do the job  

Originally posted by 6C796E6C7B7E6767666A650B0 link=1253774275/3#3 date=1253794442
                            As Dennis has mentioned, more expensive tampers are generally heavier, they can also sometimes look nicer, have better quality machining and better ergonomics. As far as the ones we make, theyre machined to fit properly for each machine (in our books, which is a lot better than 1mm of clearance - can you jiggle your tamper from side to side in the basket much?), youve got height adjustability in the Barista, better ergonomics and comfort, several hand-turned timber handles in the Deluxe, definitely better machining on both than the Sunbeam jobbie, the list goes on. We dont make a big thing out of weight because heavier isnt automatically better; I did however put a lot of work into getting the Barista to be lighter (thats right, not heavier) but balanced, and the feedback weve had is that its a lot nicer to use a lighter and more evenly weighted tamper than swinging half a kilo of bottom-heavy steel all day. People presume heavy = better quality, but when it comes to actually using it its not quite so.

Those sorts of qualities are irrelevant to some people, to others theyre worth a lot. If youre the former type Id just stick with what youve got; if the latter you might like to pop into a nearby sponsor and have a look at a few different tampers. Even if you dont find one you particularly like, you should at least get a bit of an appreciation of where the money goes in the pricier units.

Umm... not quite Rusty! I can count at least seven items in that list which have nothing to do with aesthetics and I never actually passed any comment on the SB tamper being not that bad. Im quite happy to say the SB tamper IS better than most factory tampers, but thats because most factory tampers are SO bad - compare mediocre to rubbish and the mediocre looks good. Most factory ones are two discs of black plastic (about 3mm undersized) connected by a thin stalk. The SB tamper is better because at least its close in size and its more comfortable to hold, but in absolute terms its still 99% plastic, light, cheap, loose-fitting, the metal cap over the tamping surface unsticks in time (a small piece of double-sided tape doesnt last that long :) and the surface is normally brushed linearly like the machine - so when you try to polish the puck it rips it rather than smooths it.

Aesthetics are one part of a good tamper but its sometimes the unseen elements which really set them apart from the cheapies.

I guess it really comes down to: For factory tampers you could do a lot worse than a SB unit; for aftermarket ones you could do a lot better.

Greg

Comment

I guess I misinterpreted your comments :-[

I hear you loud and clear this time.

Greg, am I wrong in assuming that the Synesso basket is unsuitable for the 6910? Or would your tamper and a Synesso make an ideal combination for the SB?

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                              X