X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler insulation & noise dampening

G’day all,

First let me apologise. I was going to take copious before and after measurements: heat-up time, precise on/off times while idling, and noise levels while pumping; but I couldn’t wait for it to heat up and then cool down before I insulated the boiler and Dynamated the case, so there are no exact figures.

Before
    Boiler: was on for about 4-5 seconds and off for 50-55.
    Noise: reasonably noisy while pumping although a full water tank helped. Turning on the machine with the toggle switch made a hollowish metallic clang as if a toggle had been installed on a 44 gallon drum, except higher pitched. Rapping the sides or rear panel also gave an ‘empty drum’ type noise.

What I did (see pics)
    Boiler: three layers of Insul-Brite, fastened with Velcro strips contact cemented to the I-B, and a drawstring in the top to tighten around the top lip of the boiler. No insulation was placed on the bottom of the boiler due to the many connections and the top was also left basically bare.
    This was really easy to do, the I-B is easy to work, cuts with scissors, very clean and was manipulated into place in minutes. According to the data both glue and all materials are good to >150°C.

Dynamat: 5 inch squares were stuck on all 4 side panels of the case. Strategically placed 25 or 50 mm wide strips on the top, by the pump on the floor of the machine, on the metal pump bracket, and any other bent metal bracket that I thought might vibrate. One 5 inch square is left over.
    This stuff is a polymer bonded to a thick aluminium foil and is very pliable and soft, cuts easily with scissors, and sticks like nothing I’ve ever used before! The sheet is about 1.5 mm thick and since it is designed to withstand the heat in car engine compartments is good to about 149°C. It is “peel and stick.”

After

WOW.

Boiler: now on for 4-5 seconds and off for 80. This is a increase of 25 to 30 seconds in the cycle time! A very worthwhile saving.

Noise: Reassembling the machine was much quieter, the case didn’t ring at all while fitting. What noise there was sounded really well-damped—thuds and thumps rather than clangs as before the treatment.
    The toggle switch now sounds like a quiet toggle on a high quality amplifier—more of a loud ‘snick’ with no reverberation from the case at all.
    Turning on the pump almost gave me a heart attack—the whole thing is so quiet I thought I’d broken something! I can hear the water rushing through the system.

Was it worth the total of less than $45? You bet.

Would I do it again? Sure would. The whole job, including waiting for the glue to dry took about 2 hours.

If there is any change I’ll update this but I’m not really expecting anything.

WOW.

Greg

Re: Boiler insulation & noise dampening

Thats a beautiful job Greg- well done. I hadnt thought of the noise insulation- a multisensory approach! I guess my Faema has those synthetic panels on the end and a lot of space around the boiler and pump.
    Im glad it all worked out
    Brett

Comment

Hi Greg,
      nice easy stuff to do which seems to offer great bang for the buck.
      I have looked into the Dynamat, but its horribly expensive, like $200 a pack.

Can you tell me wher you got yours from, as I note that you have only used small quantities.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Here you go Apple.... http://tinyurl.com/yahwrv6

Cheers,
        Mal.

Comment

Hi Apple,

Most car audio shops will carry it. I got the smallest packet--as per Mals post--the speaker kit @ $29.

Greg
          Still loving the difference in the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by 1D283F3D0D3528373B363E5A0 link=1258726137/4#4 date=1259237817
            I bet.... 8-)

Thinking along similar lines for my DJE. Was nice and quiet up until about 6-8 weeks ago then this noise started to creep in during a shot pour. Have changed out the pump courtesy of CosmoreX and this has quieted her down quite a lot but have been eyeing off what youve done (and since Ive got her partially disassembled), and reckon thats worth applying to my baby as well.... Might as well, eh?

All the best mate
            Mal.

Comment

This is great greg, what effect do you think this sort of mod would have on warranty? or is it removable?

Comment

Thanks for the link guys.........will be getting some today!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 53667173437B6679757870140 link=1258726137/4#4 date=1259237817

Most car audio shops will carry it. I got the smallest packet--as per Mals post--the speaker kit @ $29.
                  You can get it from Auto Barn as well its called Road Kill..$29.95

Thanks for the heads up Greg makes a big difference.

Cheers Gra

Comment

Originally posted by 7470564F4F4A55424D230 link=1258726137/6#6 date=1259280704
                    This is great greg, what effect do you think this sort of mod would have on warranty? or is it removable?
                    While technically it might be removable Im sure it would be a right pain to do so, and youd be cleaning the residue with alcohol for hours.

As to the warranty I dont really know. As I had to disassemble my machine twice to effect warranty repairs myself the point remains moot.

I cant see it affecting the performance, I guess it would depend on what needed warranty work.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 04292D212C400 link=1258726137/5#5 date=1259241880
                      Originally posted by 1D283F3D0D3528373B363E5A0 link=1258726137/4#4 date=1259237817
                      I bet.... 8-)

Thinking along similar lines for my DJE. Was nice and quiet up until about 6-8 weeks ago then this noise started to creep in during a shot pour. Have changed out the pump courtesy of CosmoreX and this has quieted her down quite a lot but have been eyeing off what youve done (and since Ive got her partially disassembled), and reckon thats worth applying to my baby as well.... Might as well, eh?

All the best mate
                      Mal.
                      Just finished doing mine ;D

Two wraps of Insul-Brite on the boiler and one and 1/2 squares of the Dynamat placed on the 3 sides... With attention to the area around the pump and the plate that seperates the water tank from the boiler..

Sounds a little quiter... But has a deep mor mellow sound.. I think I like..

At present... My Rocky is in bits as I am going to do it as well:

Comment

Definitely sounds like a worthwhile thing to do alright.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Have just given my machine the Dynamat treatment, as Greg suggested went into Tonkin car radio in Adelaide to buy the small $30 pack, to my chagrine they had sold out, however they offered me a much bigger pack at a discount, cost me $40 and I was able to cover 2 sides and back panel completely, as well as applying it to other strategic areas and still a little left over.
                          The result? difficult to say, but certainly a significant improvement, as AngerManagement said
                          Originally posted by 16393032251A36393630323A323923570 link=1258726137/10#10 date=1259323793
                          But has a deep mor mellow sound..
                          And I agree.
                          Did not insulate the boiler with Insulbright as the company I bought the machine from indicated to me this would void the warranty, perhaps later.
                          Was the noise dampening worth doing, you bet.  ;D

Comment

Great job Greg. Ill be insulating my boiler V soon.

Comment

For anyone interested in changes after boiler insulation on a Giotto here are my findings:

1. Any changes to cup warming are negligible. They still get very warm within 30 minutes of start-up.
                              2. Cycle time increased from 60 seconds to 80 seconds.
                              3. I expect temperature in the water reservoir will still get high if the machine is left on for a long period of time.

Here is a photo:

Comment

Working...
                              X