• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boiler insulation & noise dampening

Pauly what did you use to insulate?

Comment

Ill just wonder out loud as to how many $ per year this will save. $10? $50?

Id be really curious to know if theres a brainiac out there....

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

I suppose I could calculate the $savings in power, but that wasnt really one of my principal reasons.

I like the quiteness of the casing insulation.
        Im helping save power and (maybe) the planet.
        As Mal pointed out somewhere else, any reduction in heat transfer to the electronic components is worthwhile.
        Some of the very high-end pro-sumer machines come with insulated boilers, so not doing it is probably a cost saver at the manufacturing end.

Besides--I like tinkering.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 77425557675F425D515C54300 link=1258726137/17#17 date=1267773263
          Hi Chris,

I suppose I could calculate the $savings in power, but that wasnt really one of my principal reasons.

I like the quiteness of the casing insulation.
          Im helping save power and (maybe) the planet.
          As Mal pointed out somewhere else, any reduction in heat transfer to the electronic components is worthwhile.

Some of the very high-end pro-sumer machines come with insulated boilers, so not doing it is probably a cost saver at the manufacturing end.

Besides--I like tinkering.

Greg
          Greg.. I agree with ya comments... My main reason was not Costs ?

It was about the noise and the fact that it was a simple mod. The fact that there appear to be some upsides is a pleasant positive that was not on the radar.

As to costs.. With out a standard method / process and some hard data and projected savings as to "Insulate ya boiler and save X" would be a bit of snake oil.

However a slight wording change and a possible projected band of a saving of x - y % of element on time - might be more reasonable / accurate....

Not sure what the carbon cost is of manufacturing the insulation material etc... But would like to think the outcome would be a TRUE saving over 6 or 12 months..

Not like teh con job over solar power generation that every one is being sold on today.

PS. Will be doing to my NEW machine and have done to all other systems that I have worked on...

I have also found that the insulation helps to keep heat away from the GiCar box and thus possible, that it will save further costs down the road as these often fail early due to heat related stress.

Excluding teh Em6910 ;D

Comment

This is a rather professional looking insulation job- they used FDA-Compliant Silicone Foam Rubber rated to 232 deg c.

Comment

That is indeed a fine job. I wish Id been able to source foam like that--I couldnt locate anything at all. Although the Insul-Brite continues to work well I doubt that it is as insulating as the foam.

Its almost a shame to hide the loverly orange inside. ;D

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 5B6E797B4B736E717D70781C0 link=1258726137/20#20 date=1267837099
                That is indeed a fine job. I wish Id been able to source foam like that--I couldnt locate anything at all. Although the Insul-Brite continues to work well I doubt that it is as insulating as the foam.

Its almost a shame to hide the loverly orange inside. ;D

Greg
                Greg - Fitch the Rubberman has this stuff. But it isnt cheap!! Youre looking at something like $60 per square foot for it.

You can also source sound-deadening material from crash repairers suppliers. I cant remember the brand name, but you can get 3mm thick sheets (600x900) for less than $50. They have a high-tech "constrained boundary layer" adhesive and significant mass. The sheets I bought (NOT for a coffee machine, but it has now given me ideas!) were the 10kg sheets. They do other grades too. Dont know exactly what they put in the sheets - depleted U-235 is still expensive

/Kevin

Comment

yikes i dont wanna jump the gun but pauly looks to have insulated the boiler with dynamat :S

Comment

In reference to the high density foam installation shown in Runfasts picture, how would the ends be secured. A few dobs of high temp glue is about all I can think of. I have some arriving soon along with other parts for my little project.

Comment

Originally posted by 3E212B3A2729252D3A480 link=1258726137/23#23 date=1279315473
                      In reference to the high density foam installation shown in Runfasts picture, how would the ends be secured. A few dobs of high temp glue is about all I can think of. I have some arriving soon along with other parts for my little project.
                      I doubt it needs much fixing--some zip ties for around the boiler and some basic contact cement for the ends. According to my reading the contact cement I used is good to 145°C--or about 20° hotter than the boiler should get at +1.2 bar.

Greg

Comment

Ive just been having a bit of a read up on the net. Something like Permatex Ultra Copper silicone gasketmaker looks like it could be OK.
                        Any suggestions/feedback is most welcome.

Comment

Silastic will do the job Vic, I imagine most of us would have a cartridge in the shed, will withstand car exhaust manifold temps, just make sure surfaces are clean and will stick like sh*t to a blanket.

Comment

Hi Vic

If you use the Permatex product or something like Loctite 596 (probably overkill), I suggest you first find out whether these products have any reaction with the insulation material you are using.

I dont recommend you simply go out to the shed and use Silastic as has been suggested. Silastic is a brand name, not a product name, and like Loctite, there are numerous products that fall under those brands and are suitable for different purposes.

You might also keep in mind that if you use products of this type, its likely that they will need some form of physical clamping until curing takes effect. They are also likely to require mechanical removal should the need arise, so use sparingly, if at all.

Comment

Hello Dennis
                              The insulation material is a high temp closed-cell silicone sponge and something like Permatex Ultra Copper Gasket maker is listed as a high temp silicone, Im just thinking out loud here that it would be compatible.

Comment

Im no expert Vic, and didnt intend to scare monger. Just that I tend to err on the side of caution momentarily before I go ahead and do it anyway! ;D

If the information isnt available from the manufacturer or sales person, I reckon Mal would be able to provide sound advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X