X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boiler insulation & noise dampening

Vic I can assure you Dow Corning Silastic 732, temp stable to 230c
    http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBANKProduct.aspx?SG=2000165&S=4084748&G=200422 2&P=2027481 will do the job, however also check this Bostik product out, temp stable up to 350c http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBANKProduct.aspx?SG=2000165&S=4084748&G=200422 2&P=7741858 certainly ticks all the boxes in spades.

Comment

Im no expert Vic, and didnt intend to scare monger. Just that I tend to err on the side of caution momentarily before I go ahead and do it anyway!
      Same here Dennis, advice is appreciated.
      Jon that Bostik 936 looks the goods.

Comment

Originally posted by 302F253429272B2334460 link=1258726137/31#31 date=1279358817
        Jon that Bostik 936 looks the goods.
        Have not used it Vic, but Googled listing criteria and up she came, and of course available from Blackwoods.

Comment

I wouldnt "glue" the end-covers on vr....

Can make life difficult later on for any number of reasons. Far better to use suitable Velcro fasteners so that the system can be easily de-constructed when maintenance dictates that the end covers need to be removed. That Silicone Sponge Sheet is very soft material and easily torn so (if glued) the only way to remove it cleanly down the track, would be to slice the joint open with a scalpel or really sharp hobby knife - Still not ideal in my view.

Also, if you cut the material to size such that the end-covers are slightly over-size, then when you cable-tie the cylindrical section around them, the interference fit will hold them in place quite snugly - an even simpler method....

Mal.

Comment

Also, if you cut the material to size such that the end-covers are slightly over-size, then when you cable-tie the cylindrical section around them, the interference fit will hold them in place quite snugly
            I thought of that Mal, but after I ordered it, I should have requested 1/4" thick for the ends, it migt not work so well with it being 1/2" thick.
            Far better to use suitable Velcro fasteners
            Velcro sounds good but how would I attach the velcro to the foam?

Comment

Originally posted by 527F7B777A160 link=1258726137/33#33 date=1279385515
              Can make life difficult later on for any number of reasons. Far better to use suitable Velcro fasteners
              Good thinking Mal, like that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by 6C737968757B777F681A0 link=1258726137/34#34 date=1279406075
                How about high temp adhesive ;D seriously though, any one with a sewing machine could stitch it on, easy.

Comment

Onto 1/2" foam.

Comment

Originally posted by 69767C6D707E727A6D1F0 link=1258726137/37#37 date=1279408229
                    Onto 1/2" foam.
                    OK, hand stitch.

Comment

Originally posted by 465953425F515D5542300 link=1258726137/34#34 date=1279406075
                      Also, if you cut the material to size such that the end-covers are slightly over-size, then when you cable-tie the cylindrical section around them, the interference fit will hold them in place quite snugly
                      I thought of that Mal, but after I ordered it, I should have requested 1/4" thick for the ends, it migt not work so well with it being 1/2" thick.
                      Probably work even better with thicker material...

Originally posted by 465953425F515D5542300 link=1258726137/34#34 date=1279406075
                      Far better to use suitable Velcro fasteners
                      Any good quality Silicone Adhesive will do the trick...

Mal.

Comment

Yep a few things to try when it gets here thanks all.

Comment

Nearly done, I left some tabs sticking out on the ends to tuck in, a bit lumpy but good enough, itll do the job.

Comment

Should do an excellent job vr.... 8-)

Nice work too... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal

Comment

Originally posted by 624F4B474A260 link=1258726137/42#42 date=1280649098
                                Should do an excellent job vr.... 8-)

Nice work too... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.
                                Hi VR,

Can I ask where you bought the insulation foam from? Looks like a good idea. You can PM if its not ok to post the link in here.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                                X