Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pullman Barista Handles - Matte or Glossy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pullman Barista Handles - Matte or Glossy?

Hi CSers,

Id like to get a bit of feedback please. We just received a batch of Barista handles which I asked to be anodised in a matte finish as I felt the glossy finish on the previous units was a bit glossier than I really wanted. Matte tends to make colours look a bit more saturated than gloss as you see more of the pure colour and less of the reflections in the room; but you also run the risk of it looking dull and dirty, particularly in the darker colours.

CSers are known to be a very particular bunch so as Robin and I are of mixed opinions as to which we prefer it seemed sensible to ask such a wide and pedantic bunch! While its always going to be a subjective question Id appreciate your input as to which you prefer from these photos.

Thanks,
    Greg

Re: Pullman Barista Handles - Matte or Glossy?

... and of course any comments you might like to add would be most welcome!

Comment

I like the matte finish except for the black which looks like it could be made of rubber.

Could you have both available and see what users would like

Comment

Out of that bunch, I would choose:
        blue - matte
        red - matte
        black - glossy
        pink - matte

Pretty much exactly what flynn said

Comment

Originally posted by 4B434C4A42181D290 link=1260505968/3#3 date=1260507503
          Out of that bunch, I would choose:
          blue - matte
          red - matte
          black - glossy
          pink - matte

Agree! But only just. Both look great!
          If possible maybe offer both?

Comment

Originally posted by 6C6F7D7D796F770E0 link=1260505968/4#4 date=1260508326
            If possible maybe offer both?  
            Originally posted by 6C646B6D653F3A0E0 link=1260505968/3#3 date=1260507503
            ;D

Comment

Im currently using a Coffee lab design tamper, I will eventually order a Synesso basket & Pullman. Prefer gloss as I feel it is more resistant to wear and will look better for longer.

Steve.

PS. A choice of both would be ideal.

Comment

Both would be an option, but providing options are a two-edged sword. Generally speaking I like to give people as much choice as possible, so we have 14 handles in the Barista range already, 10 with a choice of insert colours. The flipside is that if you provide too many options it makes choosing complicated. How much harder is it to choose a mobile phone plan these days than 10 years ago?? : We already get questions about ridged vs ridgeless Synesso baskets. Also photos dont always do products justice and thered be bound to be comments like I ordered matte but this looks a bit glossier than I was expecting etc etc etc. Again, we get the odd complaint that the colours look different to whats on someones computer monitor (and of course monitor settings could be anything...) and the more subtle the difference between handles the greater the likelihood someones going to get disappointed - and blame us!

The matte handles can show fingerprints a bit more which doesnt really come up in photos, more so on the darker colours.

I guess one option to nail this would be to perhaps send a few over to a BB pickup and let you inspect them in the metal and see what you reckon. Not dissimilar to the prototype tours when I was developing the Barista in the first place...

Comment

I prefer the colour intensity of the matte and the shine of the glossy. (Ducks and runs for cover. ;D)

Greg
                  (but I really prefer the grape)

Comment

Greg - matte for colours, glossy for black

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 2B3E37272B3030440 link=1260505968/9#9 date=1260524966
                      Greg - matte for colours, glossy for black

Cheers
                      Yep, same here.

Comment

OK do I have to different
                        I personally like satin (not to glossy not to matt)

Greg if you can come up with a pearl lustre and pearl colour I would buy one to alternate with the silver I now have

KK

Comment

My concern is, does the gloss wear away over time? or perhaps maybe itll give it that rough edgy look.

Either way, I seem to be leaning towards the matte side. To myself, aesthetically, it has that Im more expensive and of higher quality look.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, seems to be a reasonable consensus there. Ideally Id like to use the same finish for all handles but that may not be the best overall solution.

@mono - The anodising is the same strength regardless of whether its a matte or gloss finish. Reflective surfaces are more inclined to show scratches and dents that matte ones, but matte surfaces can tend to show glossy substances like grease more than a glossy surface.

@robstar - no the anodising is quite hard, and gloss or matte would both wear away at the same rate (which is very slow!). Some of the gloss Burgundy handles look really nice in the metal, almost like the wet look of a highly polished car, but at the same time I think matte does exude a more subdued classiness than a more out-there glossy appearance.

@kk - thats actually my preference too. The image below is from the first run of Barista handles we had done which is basically what Im wanting to get, though of course I wouldnt be selling them in their current form if I wasnt sufficiently happy with them. For reasons beyond my control the manufacturing process has had to change which is giving the aluminium a shinier surface pre-anodising.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 5F4A5D5F484D5454555956380 link=1260505968/7#7 date=1260520926
                              I guess one option to nail this would be to perhaps send a few over to a BB pickup
                              An alternate option would be to send a couple to my house  

Failing that, I vote for the matte finish  8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X