Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual walled filter baskets - Where?

Hi
    Been searching the net for a dual walled 14g basket and hard to find.
    Then I thought...hmm..join a coffee forum...someone will know a place that sells them? Im in Melbourne but it is for my sister near Tweed Heads. Any online store will do. I read that one of the sponsors  have them so I tried one...then noticed there are several sposors (which is great) but any clues as to which one would be appreciated.
    Ive been using a dual walled pressurized basket for ages and find them heaps better even though I grind my own beans.
    Anyway, glad to be onboard, as I love my coffees. Cheers  :P

Re: Dual walled filter baskets - Where?

Originally posted by 7E5C5C5D405B5A5D56330 link=1261101860/0#0 date=1261101860
    Hi
    Been searching the net for a dual walled 14g basket and hard to find.
    Then I thought...hmm..join a coffee forum...someone will know a place that sells them? Im in Melbourne but it is for my sister near Tweed Heads. Any online store will do. I read that one of the sponsors  have them so I tried one...then noticed there are several sposors (which is great) but any clues as to which one would be appreciated.
    Ive been using a dual walled pressurized basket for ages and find them heaps better even though I grind my own beans.
    Anyway, glad to be onboard, as I love my coffees. Cheers  :P
    Most of us dump / crush any we have... Good for stale beans only..

What machine are you chasing them for... If a 58mm basket... Plenty of Sunbeam EM6910 ones should be around..

My opnion.. They are good for Stale supermarket beans and only help to produce fake crema..

Comment

I have a Dual walled filter basket to suit the Ikon 52mm and  Breville 800 and the lower end Sunbeam machines, that you can have for a 5 dollar donation to fair crack and postage costs.

Comment

Ima tell you what you need to hear Moonshine....

With your own grinder on hand..why is it your still using the dual floor pressurised baskets when you could be having better quality coffee?

Like AngerManagement says...we crushed them long ago...thats why were here

They will lead you to believe that you are making ok coffee all the while hiding any faults you are making in your preperation process and thereby not letting you become the coffeesnob you aspire to be and thus negating the need for your grinder at all?

I understand that your inquiring about the baskets for someone else and like AM says.... there should be a LOT of Sunbeam baskets around.

NOW!...pass the bootleg moonshine

Comment

Originally posted by 4C6E6E6F7269686F64010 link=1261101860/0#0 date=1261101860
          This sort of caught my eye, I respect your opinion on your own cup. But how did you gauge your own response, in a sense that its heaps better.. heaps better than?

Get a spoon, taste the crema itself and try to understand that the viscous oils youre forcefully extracting through a double walled basket is not pleasant, nor a representation of any shot due to the very nature of why those baskets exist. Also, please let us know what machine youre using.. That way, we could point you in the right direction for the right baskets, double walled or not.

Comment

Guess ya got the message Moonshine, nobody likes em.

Comment

He pmd me before and said he was after a one for a Gaggia baby, so my 52mm is unable to fit (would like to take the time to point out it sits in the little toolbox under the watertank and has never came out)

Comment

Originally posted by 0C594A513F0 link=1261101860/6#6 date=1261144858
                He pmd me before and said he was after a one for a Gaggia baby, so my 52mm is unable to fit (would like to take the time to point out it sits in the little toolbox under the watertank and has never came out)
                Never used one so cant comment, they dont seem to have many friends. ;D

Comment

Hi snobs

Thanks for your posts. I appreciate all of your views, and yes, Ive got the clear message about the dual-walled baskets being blasphemy on this forum :-D
                  Although I am inquiring for my sister, I am using one myself as mentioned even though I grind as I go.

I have a DeLonghi BAR-M290 (rrp $350)
                  DeLonghi Grinder (rrp $140)
                  Beans: Coffex- Super Bar, Cisco atm
                  Preference: Merlo, St Ali (Nth Melb)

Ok snobs...Im a noob... and ignorance is bliss

According to my "uneducated tastebuds this cheap little setup along with the dual-wall basket happens to bring much pleasure to my pallette...believe it or not.

I found, and my sister as well find that the coffee runs through too quickly through the standard open weave (name?) baskets and therefore favor is diluted.
                  Im aware of the need for a finer grind and compacting the coffee in the basket.
                  I admit I havent tried the other basket for a long time and will try it again to compare it, as everyone except Sunbeam believe standard issue is the way to go.

Just out of curiosity though, what pump pressure do the expensive say $5,000 machines operate at.
                  As you know, the cheapies use 15 bars. Now chill out dudes when you hear this question...remember Im a noob...here goes..
                  If the good machines use a higher pump pressure to get better extraction, is there any...I emphasize...any possibility *gasp*...err.. that the dual-walled design creating more pressure
                  for extraction compensates and dare I say it, enhance the effectiveness of the cheap 15 bar
                  machines to produce a coffee that punches above its weight?

After catching your breath and picking yourselves up off the floor...Id be interested in your comments on this....hang on a tick while I grab my suit of Armour :-D

Cheers...and thanks for your tolerance and understanding

Comment

Originally posted by 46646465786362656E0B0 link=1261101860/8#8 date=1261274449
                    Hi snobs

Thanks for your posts. I appreciate all of your views, and yes, Ive got the clear message about the dual-walled baskets being blasphemy on this forum :-D
                    Although I am inquiring for my sister, I am using one myself as mentioned even though I grind as I go.

I have a DeLonghi BAR-M290 (rrp $350)
                    DeLonghi Grinder (rrp $140)
                    Beans: Coffex- Super Bar, Cisco atm
                    Preference: Merlo, St Ali (Nth Melb)

Ok snobs...Im a noob... and ignorance is bliss

According to my "uneducated tastebuds this cheap little setup along with the dual-wall basket happens to bring much pleasure to my pallette...believe it or not.

I found, and my sister as well find that the coffee runs through too quickly through the standard open weave (name?) baskets and therefore favor is diluted.
                    Im aware of the need for a finer grind and compacting the coffee in the basket.
                    I admit I havent tried the other basket for a long time and will try it again to compare it, as everyone except Sunbeam believe standard issue is the way to go.

Just out of curiosity though, what pump pressure do the expensive say $5,000 machines operate at.
                    As you know, the cheapies use 15 bars. Now chill out dudes when you hear this question...remember Im a noob...here goes..
                    If the good machines use a higher pump pressure to get better extraction, is there any...I emphasize...any possibility *gasp*...err.. that the dual-walled design creating more pressure
                    for extraction compensates and dare I say it, enhance the effectiveness of the cheap 15 bar
                    machines to produce a coffee that punches above its weight?

After catching your breath and picking yourselves up off the floor...Id be interested in your comments on this....hang on a tick while I grab my suit of Armour :-D

Cheers...and thanks for your tolerance and understanding
                    From my iBrick... So short and swet..

1: Use teh advanced search function and you will find many answers...

2: 15 Bar is a Marketing tool... 9 bar is what ya looking for... A top system could provide much more but are set at 9Bar. They have the capicity to delever... Many little system can not. Thus they us a pump that is rated highter and expect that you will get about 9 under load.

3: If ya using stale beans and or a cheep grinder.. Then the dual floor will give you a fake pour, but better than instant...

There are a number of other sites that you should go and visit and read about coffee... Two in particular ... Randy C and home Barister have some geat how tos and good reading.

Comment

15 bar is the max operating pressure of the pump not the actual pressure. The norm is around 9 bars for most machines some prefer a little more some prefer a little less. The "benefit" of the dual wall is that it produces a fake crema due to the pressure buildup so you can use cheap beans and it looks better. I have only used this type of basket a few times and it doesnt taste better and I found it much harder to use.

Dont be afraid everyone is very understanding of noobs as we were all there once.

Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by 4C424F405741402E0 link=1261101860/10#10 date=1261275332
                        15 bar is the max operating pressure of the pump not the actual pressure. The norm is around 9 bars for most machines some prefer a little more some prefer a little less. The "benefit" of the dual wall is that it produces a fake crema due to the pressure buildup so you can use cheap beans and it looks better. I have only used this type of basket a few times and it doesnt taste better and I found it much harder to use.

Dont be afraid everyone is very understanding of noobs as we were all there once.

Welcome  

WRONG... I am not and detest nubes with a passion.... OPPS.... After many years of coffee and 3k posts... I am still a nube.....

I guess that means I dont like myself ;D

PS. Welcome to CS it is a long journy...

Damm i-bricks.

Comment

Hi

Just wondering?
                          If the dual floor basket was designed for stale ground coffee in supermarkets to create artificial crema, then if as I do, grind my beans each time, is the crema produced also considered artificial?
                          I reverted back to the standard single floor basket, and according to my taste buds the dual floor makes a much tastier coffee.
                          Just because they designed it for stale coffee, yet happens to get better results using freshly ground coffee, why then are they considered trash by so many people around here?
                          Of course it is individual preference, but for lattes that I drink, and my sister agrees, it is a slam dunk for the dual walled basket.
                          Heaven forbid if it ended up being a design improvement on the traditional one?!! :P

Comment

Originally posted by 745656574A5150575C390 link=1261101860/12#12 date=1265941005
                            according to my taste buds the dual floor makes a much tastier coffee.
                            I wonder what the different taste is?
                            You do know that all sorts of gunk can grow between the walls dont you? :P

Comment

Originally posted by 0D2F2F2E3328292E25400 link=1261101860/12#12 date=1265941005
                              Hi

Just wondering?
                              If the dual floor basket was designed for stale ground coffee in supermarkets to create artificial crema, then if as I do, grind my beans each time, is the crema produced also considered artificial?
                              I reverted back to the standard single floor basket, and according to my taste buds the dual floor makes a much tastier coffee.
                              Just because they designed it for stale coffee, yet happens to get better results using freshly ground coffee, why then are they considered trash by so many people around here?
                              Of course it is individual preference, but for lattes that I drink, and my sister agrees, it is a slam dunk for the dual walled basket.
                              Heaven forbid if it ended up being a design improvement on the traditional one?!! :P
                              Couple of questions, is it fresh coffee not just freshly ground and are you getting approx 30mls in 30 sec type pour? I have used the dual walled basket vs single and the quality of coffee is better with the single IMHO. Saying that if that is what you like then more power to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X