Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

I have a manual DeLonghi and wondering what the best value (effectiveness & cost) descaler/cleaning method going around?
    Tablet...liquid...do I need a blind basket and backflush?
    Bit of a noob so would appreciate your help.
    Cheers

ps. Have I missed something... iike FAQ?...as this would be a common enquiry?

Re: Descaler/cleaner - quality & value

Originally posted by 547676776A7170777C190 link=1261741376/0#0 date=1261741376
    I have a manual DeLonghi and wondering what the best value (effectiveness & cost) descaler/cleaning method going around?
    Tablet...liquid...do I need a blind basket and backflush?
    Bit of a noob so would appreciate your help.
    Cheers

ps. Have I missed something... iike FAQ?...as this would be a common enquiry?
    Users Manual is teh first place to look...

In addition, as there are hundreds of machines out there a simple FAQ is not as easy as it first sounds.. In addition, many will still post the same question many times but not bother to search or use an FAQ...

Further more, there are many manual DeLonghi systems and thus... Without specifics, even another manual DeLonghi user is not going to be able to assist.. They would need more detail.

Comment

Thanks for replying Anger.

Purchased machine 2nd hand off eBay without a manual.
      I have emailed DeLonghi Customer service to ask them about cleaning method.

Comment

Originally posted by 486A6A6B766D6C6B60050 link=1261741376/2#2 date=1261777514
        Thanks for replying Anger.

Purchased machine 2nd hand off eBay without a manual.
        I have emailed DeLonghi Customer service to ask them about cleaning method.
        Opps.. evil place is great for blowing monies if your not experienced and or able to do a pick-up...

You have still not provided Model information ???

Others may have or used the same machine... But as stated before they are different...

Comment

DeLonghi BAR- M290 - retails $349

Cheers - (sip sip latte) :P

Comment

Originally posted by 406262637E656463680D0 link=1261741376/4#4 date=1261798984
            DeLonghi BAR- M290 - retails $349

Cheers - (sip sip latte) :P
            User manual on the Delonghi home page along with all their other models..

http://www.delonghi.com.au/support/instruction_manuals/BARM290_im.pdf

Google is a search eng ;D

Comment

Fantastic...thanks Anger!!
              descaler = white vineager

Comment

Funny though, before posting here I did go to the DeLonghi site, clicked on products and typed in model No, and each time no results.
                Didnt try all the combinations but it was there obviously.
                Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by 47656564796263646F0A0 link=1261741376/7#7 date=1261826244
                  Funny though, before posting here I did go to the DeLonghi site, clicked on products and typed in model No, and each time no results.
                  Didnt try all the combinations but it was there obviously.
                  Cheers  
                  I just used the numbers... All to often.. If ya try to be to specific, ya get lost as the filters do not always work as one might expect...

Script kiddies and GUI interfaces is the result of todays requirements for many coders... It is time efficient and a cost issue... Further more, as most users dont complain, the owners never know how good or bad their web pages are...

I always try to leave feedback as to 404 errors or missing pages / links etc... Most are very happy to actually get feedback... The smaller places that are starting out like it.... The bigger places often dont care as they have the numbers and throughput...

Opps..... OT

Comment

Originally posted by 7A585859445F5E5952370 link=1261741376/6#6 date=1261821293
                    descaler = white vineager  
                    Nowadays it is recommended to use specially designed solution for espresso machines descaling  that are far more effective and less harmful to your coffee machine.

Check our cleaning solution page for product info: www.dibartoli.com.au/products.asp?cid=42

This link on Bombora web site will provide even more info and interesting answers to questions like:"why not vinegar?"
                    www.clean-machine.com.au/images/CMTAD100_link.PDF

Ofra

Comment

I was curious as to whether citric acid is the active ingredient in that 100% descaler that Ive seen - can it be used to descale a coffee machine?

Comment

Was speaking to a rep from one of the better known producers of descaler the other day, he told me the main ingredient in their product is Citric acid. :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 102C253D28490 link=1261741376/11#11 date=1262953717
                          Was speaking to a rep from one of the better known producers of descaler the other day, he told me the main ingredient in their product is Citric acid.  
                          Interesting, I wonder how it works on dandruff?

Apparently www.rocket-espresso.com suggests hair shampoo for group handle cleaning and backflushing in "How to clean your Giotto or Cellini".
                          Some of our brethren may not consider this as designed for purpose, hope it doesnt cause a tiff.

Comment

Originally posted by 5B676E7663020 link=1261741376/11#11 date=1262953717
                            Was speaking to a rep from one of the better known producers of descaler the other day, he told me the main ingredient in their product is Citric acid. :-?
                            Yes Jon, pretty much correct BUT they also use other acids so as to dissolve the plaques which citric acid will simply lift. Without using the other stuff, these plaques can and do block things like gicleurs and thermosyphon restrictors.

Never ceases to amaze me that people will spend thousands on a machine and then look to save a few bucks by attempting to cobble up their own version of what they think a cleaner should be :

Comment

Originally posted by 696C6B6176647C7764050 link=1261741376/12#12 date=1262958706
                              Apparently www.rocket-espresso.com suggests hair shampoo for group handle cleaning and backflushing in "How to clean your Giotto or Cellini".
                              Some of our brethren may not consider this as designed for purpose, hope it doesnt cause a tiff.
                              I suspect this is a translation issue and they dont intend for you to actually use shampoo.

Next or weekly, put a small amount of head shampoo into the blind filter and repeat the process as above. Repeat this process until the shampoo runs clean into the drain tray via the exhaust solenoid. Ensure that you back flush the machine once again so the shampoo residues are washed way.
                              Quoted from care and cleaning document found here: http://www.rocket-espresso.it/downloads/How_To_Clean.pdf

Java "Oh the fun you can have with translations!" phile
                              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X