Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nudifying a PF

Hi all,

Thanks to AM I an now the proud owner of a second PF.

I was going to get my cousin to nudify it for me, but was just wondering if someone had some guidelines. Ive looked up the online guides but I was wondering in particular

how much in mm should i leave around the edges when I cut the PF?

Re: Nudifying a group handle

I did the same thing as you and sourced an extra group handle to nakedise... i took it to the local metal worker to chop the bottum off it but i didnt really specify how i wanted it done. As a result it looks a bit rushed and for $10 im not too worried as i got the group handle for free anyway.

If you do take yours to the local metal worker...make sure you mark it as to where you want it cut tashie

Hard to say without seing it or knowing what machine its for but something like this should look nice?
    P.S. This is the work GH not my DC one

Comment

I would suspect that how its done probably depends a lot on how the group handle handle connects to the group handle head (er... mmm, I hope you know what I mean) - hopefully clearing the filter area of the basket.

FWIW - a pic of my coffeeparts one with measurements...

Comment

Hmmm nice shot there CD I suspect my first few attempts will be quite messy.

Thanks Scarey, thats fab. Im sure it will be helpful to many other CSers.

Im going to take a closer look at mine and measure it against your GH before I get my cousin to cut it. Hopefully it all goes well *fingers crossed*

Comment

If you get stuck Ive done a few dozen Sunbeam PFs so far on my lathe. You can do it with a holesaw or a die cutter but a lathe will give a cleaner edge.

Comment

I have done three using a bi-metal hole saw and a drill press. They do take a bit more hand finishing than a hole cut on a lathe would, but they came out very nice. After drilling out the bottom (from the inside) I used a round file to radius the edges of the hole a little and clean up any rough edge of the chrome, then some wet-dry to finish off the brass where it is exposed. Of course, I used a vise, bolted to the table to secure the portafilter. I am getting to old to dodge flying portafilters.

Comment

Originally posted by 447778726F495138160 link=1262062546/5#5 date=1262155278
              I am getting to old to dodge flying portafilters.    
              Hee, hee

Being the owner of no such metalworking equipment, I was going to ask my cousin to cut it on... i think he said it was a mill, then hand finish it, he said sand it down?

How do I know how big a hole to cut? If I cut it too small, it might make it too hard to cut a second, larger hole around the first.

Comment

A mill would definitely do it when operated by a knowledgeable machinist. Measure the diameter of the bottom of the basket and have him make the hole about 3 to 4mm wider. It is better to take just a little more than too little, but even the same width as the basket (like around 59-60mm) should work. With the PFs that I drilled out there was plenty material left around the handle where it meets the body to maintain strength. If just a little radius is left at the bottom edge of the body it will be plenty strong. And yes, a bit of hand finishing after milling with wet/dry should be an easy matter.

Comment

Re: Nudifying a PF

[movedhere] General Coffee Related... [move by] Javaphile.
                  Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X