Is there a machine that does not require tampering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a machine that does not require tampering

Hi there i want to buy a coffee machine that does not require any tampering! I love my coffee but i couldnt be bothered to get that messy with coffee I dont have money for an automatic machine so ill have to settle for the next best thing! Cheers

Re: Is there a machine that does not require tampering

Originally posted by 2D3B3E2F24212B4E0 link=1262555112/0#0 date=1262555112
    Hi there i want to buy a coffee machine that does not require any tampering! I love my coffee but i couldnt be bothered to get that messy with coffee I dont have money for an automatic machine so ill have to settle for the next best thing! Cheers
    Hi CJ,

You probably dont want to hear this, but good coffee takes time and effort and if you are not prepared to take the time and make that effort, your best option is to get a bloke/girl to do that for you in a great cafe not too far from home....

If you just want to push a button, you will get an outcome which reflects your effort- i.e average. CS thoughts are that Jura is the way to go in Superautos but you are advised to steel yourself for regular services and $$$.

Without some specifics on budget and laziness level, thats about the best I can offer ...

2mcm

Comment

Hi CJ

you should consider a POD coffee machine..............

that said the coffee may not be any good......

if you buy something with a group-handle you will have to "muck around with messy coffee"

Comment

Have you considered a plunger or pourover?

Comment

When you say "I love my coffee", what coffee do you mean, espresso? Drip? Instant?

What do you mean by "Messy", do you mean literal or metophorical? :-?

Ive heard you can get away without tamping to some degree with pressurised baskets, ive never done it or seen it done as ive never owned a machine with pressurised baskets.

Prolly need to explain a bit more in order to get some sound and constructive advice.

cheers mate
          warren

Comment

Originally posted by 5F494C5D5653593C0 link=1262555112/0#0 date=1262555112
            As per all above.

1: Good coffee is not that messy...

2: Many manual systems are worthwhile, but they all require fresh beans and a good grinder... That means a little work on your part.

3: Automatic machines from Hardly Normal and many other places are a lot more work than you think... Every system requires maintenance and fresh raw products...

If you only want to press a button and have it all done.. Then Instant or pod... But would not say that it is Good coffee...

I am assuming you like it BLACK... If you like milk... Then Autos can often require even more effort to keep the milk part clean... Unless you like sour milk...

Comment

Ive recently purchased a GPP and have to say with a good grinder and this machine there is really little mess with making a good coffee. Even with my previous machine a Gaggia there was only a little mess, mainly ground coffee on the bench which can be wiped up quickly and easily. I think Id prefer to clean up the little mess with my current set up than having to clean an auto machine. A neighbour of mine got an auto machine for Christmas last year and just doesnt use it because it takes too long to clean - they come to our house for coffee now!! AND they can see the mistake they made!!

Tampering is not hard or messy!!

Comment

I am learning so much! Keep talking LOL!

Ok so let me clear this up and give a detailed reply...

I like cappuccinos but it takes me forever to make one in my pourover and then to clean everything up! I just use ground coffee which tastes amazing! I hate cleaning the milk frother after every freaking drink!

My parents have Jura and i loved it cos i just had to press a button and occassionally empty the grounds and fill the water! I use to unplug it in the kitchen and take it to the study and just keep making white coffee while i study with no effort what so ever! Thats how much i love coffee

I have recently moved to Australia and have tasted the best coffee in the world! My addiction has grown to dangerous levels I want to buy a coffee machine... but i have heard people selling coffee machines knocking manual machines saying they are hard to clean and you end up with coffee on the counter and you need to grind your own coffee tamper the coffee etc.

I dont mind doing all of this but im the only one in the house drinking coffee now. Currently im using a pourover which is a freaking mission! First off its a 6 cup espresso maker and if i make coffee i have to drink 5 other shots as well! So i have wasted coffee! But it takes so long to prepare a cup of coffee that i cant even prepare a cup in the morning! I really miss my morning cup but now i dont have the time to make one!

Is a manual machine really a lot of work? in terms of cleaning after each use and prep time?
                If i do get a nespresso machine (i prefer not to) i have geard that you need to put in like 3 pods before you actually taste the flavour of the coffee in your cuppaccino. Is this true?
                Would it be easy to make a cuppaccino with a manual machine?

I guess im just so over the hard work created by my frother and pourover that i dont want to do anymore work. But i get the whole what you put in is what you get out when you talk about a manual machine!

Cheers

CJ

Comment

Also i only want to spend like $1000 max on my new machine

Comment

Hi CJ,

I think its time for you to view a great Aussie film: The Castle. In that film, you will meet a very wise bloke by the name of Kerrigan and he will help you come to fully understand the great Aussie saying "Tell im es dreamin ".

My advice to you is that if you want superauto and to simply push a button at any quality level whatsoever, you will need to purchase a Jura machine and youll need much more than $1000. If you proceed down this pathway, dont expect anything better than decidedly average.

2mcm

Comment

Max $1,000? Like cappuccinos? Get a Lelit Combi, AND a tamper. And then get the best beans you can get (see BeanBay, Cuppacoffee, or roast your own), a bit of practice learning technique, and away you go.

If you really love coffee, thats my recommendation. The Lelit is a good unit - a manual (see semi-auto) single boiler machine with built in (Lux standard) grinder. I found it easy to use, not messy (doserless grinder, straight into the basket, plus 3-way valve relieving group pressure). I use a timer switch, turns it on in the morning about a half hour before I drag myself out. Put in as much beans as you need, grind into the basket, tamp (takes 3 secs), pour the shot, press the steam button, steam the milk (then switch off the steam button and refill boiler whilst giving the wand a wipe). Done. No mess, no fuss. Of course a little bit of cleaning and maintenance is always required. Providing you use good beans and do your bit, it makes beautiful coffee and youll wonder why you thought of doing it any other way.

If the above sounds too much, find a good cafe.

You can find the Lelit on the web-sites of site sponsors Talk Coffee and Cuppacoffee. IMMHO the best value under $1,000.

(Tamping is not a hassle. Drinking bad coffee would be a hassle.)

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 392F2A3B30353F5A0 link=1262555112/7#7 date=1262637902
                        what you put in is what you get out
                        Now you understand.

You mentioned using ground coffee; do you have a grinder?

Comment

Greg you the man!

Im still tempted with the nespresso concept... i think i just lost a couple of friends

Comment

Originally posted by 6B7D786962676D080 link=1262555112/12#12 date=1262646898
                            Im still tempted with the nespresso concept...
                            I was tempted by the $40 colour printer too...and then I realised that the cartridges would be twice the cost of the printer

Comment

Originally posted by 7A6C697873767C190 link=1262555112/7#7 date=1262637902
                              My parents have Jura and i loved it cos i just had to press a button and occassionally empty the grounds and fill the water! I use to unplug it in the kitchen and take it to the study and just keep making white coffee while i study with no effort what so ever! Thats how much i love coffee:)
                              Second hand Jura?

The Problem is CJ, you have come to a community of Manual Making Coffee lovers, coming in and saying you dislike what we like will return some "average" responces, i think, from reading your posts, that any manual coffee making procedure will be too messy for you, if you want a fully auto machine then be prepared to pay for it, both upfront and in ongoing maintenance, Nespresso machines arent cheap either, plus i think around .50c per pod!, so i see the following options;

1. Get messy like the rest of us....and love it! ;D

2. Stay clean with full auto or pod.....and have no $$$$ or quality coffee to speak of:

3. Get a tin of instant and a can of Fluffy Whip cream......at least its cheap, and it does contain caffeine! ;D

there will always be trade offs........

best of luck with your search mate
                              cheers
                              warren

Comment

Working...
                              X