Any tips for dose quantity gadgets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for dose quantity gadgets?

I know about the Scottie Callaghan dosing tools and for now an old credit card with two different arcs cut on the long sides is meeting my needs. But I have a question about bean dose, not grind dose. I have a doserless Rocky and dont want any beans left in the grinder after I make my shot. Im using a plastic measuring scoop to get the right amount of coffee into Rocky, but a few beans more or a few beans less can make a big difference to the final dose. How are others dealing with the issue of getting the exact same amount of beans into your grinder for each shot? Is there something like the Scottie C kit but for bean quantity rather than final grind level?

Re: Any tips for dose quantity gadgets?

Digital scale.

Comment

DIY one from a business card

Also level fill the basket you use with beans as a very accurate guide of the amount of beans to grind

KK

Comment

+1 for the scales. I use a cheap (<$15 shipped) set of digital scales from DX that are 300g max with 0.01 gram resolution. More than adequate for my needs.

Comment

Digital scales, cheap, quick and very accurate, add to this a small brush to clean the chute and doser out and its pretty much a case of 18 grams in 18 grams out.

Comment

SeanSheep... nice scale! Do you mind sharing the brand?
            Something weird happened with mine today or my cleaning technique changed a bit... I usually get ~0.5g less than what I put in... I ended up with more than I put in!

Comment

Ditto vyapadas question: I seached the DealExtrem site and cant find a digital scale that looks like SeanSheeps. They look cool.

Comment

I dont want to breach any posting guidelines, so mods if this is too much then i apologise and feel free to delete.

If you go to the site in question these are the product numbers, which are searchable:

17486 300g/0.01g Black
                17481 300g/0.01g Silver
                17485 200g/0.01g Black
                17480 200g/0.01g Silver

Mine is actually the 200g/0.01g Black model (not 300g).

Comment

Oh, I had no idea DX was dealextreme, haha. Cheers mate!
                  If mine ends up throwing a tanty I might need to get a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by 514A404B425147424F424142230 link=1297899281/0#0 date=1297899281
                    How are others dealing with the issue of getting the exact same amount of beans into your grinder for each shot?
                    Its not very often that I get to pull only one shot in a session but on those occasions that I do, I just use a standard 1 Tablespoon Measure x 2. Just strike the beans level with the rim and dump into the grinder. About 19g +1.0/-0.0 whole beans go in...

After first pulsing the grinder a couple of times (to remove any old grinds, about 1.0g) then grinding properly and sweeping out the grind chute, I end up with about 18g +1.0/-0.0 of fresh coffee grounds. After dosing , I end up with either a perfectly level dose in the filter basket or a very slight mound that gets swept off.

Makes a perfect shot every time (even if I do say so myself).... 8-) and no need for digital scales or any other device.

Mal.

Comment

I use the palm of my hand to feel the level in a spare basket that is now only used for measuring beans to go into the hopper.

Ive checked the accuracy of my hand using digital scales and its consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by 6E524F545E5F485D555E3A0 link=1297899281/10#10 date=1297926168
                        I use the palm of my hand to feel the level in a spare basket that is now only used for measuring beans to go into the hopper.

Nice! What kind of resolution do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by 003C213A303126333B30540 link=1297899281/10#10 date=1297926168
                          How often do you recalibrate your hand?

Comment

Originally posted by 76796170616461000 link=1297899281/11#11 date=1297928677
                            Nice! What kind of resolution do you have?
                            Only 1g.

Originally posted by 59656C7461000 link=1297899281/12#12 date=1297929850
                            How often do you recalibrate your hand?
                            Not often enough for you so Ill try get around to it tomorrow.

Comment

How do you account for the uneven grind that gets produced when there is no wait settling the beans onto the burrs?

I have seen some people use their tamper as a weight, is this what you do?

Comment

Working...
                              X