This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Sandi,

Will likely cost me or someone else a sale, but if it was just 2 or 3 months, the $$$ equation will probably favour a suitable bottled water alternative and I think that's what I'd be doing.

It's also what I do with my travel machine...

Chris

Comment

• Thanks, Chris. Always spot on.

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
      Hi Sandi,

Will likely cost me or someone else a sale, but if it was just 2 or 3 months, the $$$ equation will probably favour a suitable bottled water alternative and I think that's what I'd be doing.

Chris

Comment

• Forgot to ask. Does a brita jug sold in supermarket help? I know (as per the previous postings) that this is only good for a limited period, but is it still good for, say, 200 liters? Anyone knows the limit of the jug? I am considering the most economical option. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by kopiku View Post
          Forgot to ask. Does a brita jug sold in supermarket help? I know (as per the previous postings) that this is only good for a limited period, but is it still good for, say, 200 liters? Anyone knows the limit of the jug? I am considering the most economical option. Thanks.
          Interested. This is what I fill my machine up with. Brita water jug

Comment

• Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
            Hi Sandi,

Chris
            Any recommendations on bottled water or is it all the same?

Comment

• Originally posted by kopiku View Post
              Forgot to ask. Does a brita jug sold in supermarket help? I know (as per the previous postings) that this is only good for a limited period, but is it still good for, say, 200 liters? Anyone knows the limit of the jug? I am considering the most economical option. Thanks.
              They do filter, but don't do too much else Filtration | Talk Coffee

Comment

• From what I read in the previous postings, not all bottled water are the same. Some have lower TDS and some are higher. It was said that Mt Franklin bottled water seems a better choice. Cmiiw.

Originally posted by Loki23 View Post
                Any recommendations on bottled water or is it all the same?

Comment

• I have an electric powered UV water filtration system and it works well for 3 years

Comment

• Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                    Most CSers are aware that filtered, softened water is best when it comes to espresso machines.
                    I've read most of the water-quality related threads on CS, although I confess that I haven't re-read them all again before making this post. The general impression I get, and particularly from sponsors, is that you should always run a softening filter of some kind if you're using mains water. There's also a general warning against over-filtering, e.g. RO, or using water that's too pure, e.g. very pure rainwater, as the machine won't be able to measure the water level correctly and such pure water won't result in good tasting coffee, and least not without adding something back in.

This raises two questions in my mind. What level hardness should I be targeting for my espresso machine, since clearly is is possible to have water that's too soft? Related to this, how soft must mains water be before you'd dispense with a softening filter?

I ask this because I live in a location where the water is soft, and I've just moved into a new house in a new development, and the water here measures as very soft. If I use a softening filter then the filtered water measures as incredibly soft and the coffee taste suffers.

Comment

• Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                      Can a small water taste difference really be detected in a brew.
                      In my experience, in an expresso ... yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by K_Bean_Coffee
                        The above is only true for machines that sense low water level with conductivity. Some machines use water weight and others use magnetic sensors.
                        Cheers
                        Paul
                        Not in the Boiler(s) though...

Mal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                          Not in the Boiler(s) though...

Mal.
                          Javaphile tosses a wrench into the discussion......In all of the multi-group La Cimbali's that I have seen the water level switch/sensor is a float in the boiler with a magnet attached to it that opens/closes a magnetic switch on the outside of the boiler.

Java "Monkey Wrench" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

• The point I was actually trying to make, was that a lot of manufacturers depend on conductance to maintain and control the water level inside the Boiler(s), as well as a Safety Cutout should the water level get too low and expose the Heating Element...

Therefore, a minimum availability of ions in the water is needed...

Mal.

Comment

• The discussion has wandered away from my main question. The comment about needing some ions for measurement was just an incident observation in line with post 62 in this thread, for example. In short, my question was: softer water is better, for machine cleanliness, but only up to a point, where it starts to impacts on taste, so ... what's that point????

After all, no-one uses unmodified RO water, do they? This is partly because it's bad for the machine, but also because it doesn't taste any good. I did for a short time try double filtering, which must have resulted in water that was close to RO, and the coffee was pretty flat and boring. Some mineral content is necessary. The reason I'm asking this question now, is that I live in a location where the water utility reports soft water (42ppm) and I've recently moved into a newish house in a newish development with new clean pipes and the water is measuring something like 25ppm, give or take. Using a known blend, the coffee isn't tasting as good as it used to, and I suspect that the mains water is a touch too soft. How soft is too soft?

Comment

• Yep, fair 'nuff Gunda...

Have a read through Jim's Insanely Long Water FAQ linked to above somewhere but provided here again....

Almost a treatise on the subject but a good read nonetheless...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                                X