This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water filtration and espresso machines

Thanks Greg - Ill give that a try. I wouldnt describe my coffee as tasting flat but it does often taste burnt - to do with cooling flushes no doubt but thats off topic for this thread.

If your machines havent rusted out with 25% Adelaide tap water run through them then it must be safe!

Brisbane tap water isnt very soft but nothing like the stuff from the Murray.

Comment

Originally posted by 1F2A3D3F0F372A3539343C580 link=1245022812/6#6 date=1245926810
      I mix rainwater:Adelaide water at approx. 3:1 for the HX and feed the boiler when I can with pure rainwater. Both are filtered through a .5 micron carbon filter.
      maybe I missed something here, but is there a reason to not use 100% rainwater in espresso machines?

Comment

Originally posted by 6E7B7F6C7D7B671E0 link=1245022812/31#31 date=1264352890
        maybe I missed something here, but is there a reason to not use 100% rainwater in espresso machines?
        Taste for one.

Some units need minerals in the water for the electrical sensors to read correctly.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 4E7B6C6E5E667B6468656D090 link=1245022812/32#32 date=1264376698
          Some units need minerals in the water for the electrical sensors to read correctly.
          I didnt realise that rain water didnt have enough to activate the sensor? So its the process from the dam to us that places teh necessary minerals? I just thought it was RO water that had the problem.....oh well, learn something new everyday hey!

Comment

Originally posted by 6D694F5656534C5B543A0 link=1245022812/33#33 date=1264379164
            I didnt realise that rain water didnt have enough to activate the sensor? So its the process from the dam to us that places teh necessary minerals? I just thought it was RO water that had the problem.....oh well, learn something new everyday hey!
            I suspect that the minerals in dam water are leached from the waters contact with the soil, both during run-off and while sitting, and not from the dam to the house. Even the very highly mineralised water from the Murray originally fell onto the catchment areas as rain.

My rainwater doesnt touch the ground at all--straight into the tank from the roof. The last time I had it tested it didnt have enough minerals in it to register on a TDS meter, and the coffee from it definitely tasted a bit flat although it ran the machine OK.

Greg

Comment

Installed my new Water Filter hardware from Bombora yesterday.... Photo Below:

After flushing a few litres through the new setup as recommended, a series of TH tests revealed the following results...

Water In - ~100ppm
              Water Out - 15-20ppm

A terrific result for sure and subsequent brews today after flushing out the Boiler and Thermosyphon were very nice indeed; pretty good before too as it happens :

A big thank you to Bernard for his assistance and advice in this filter upgrade, much appreciated.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Comment

I see you got the "Bazooka" version Mal!

If its the same as mine (and I think it is) there was absolutely no scale present in the group jets (.75mm) of my machine after 12 months in service.

Not bad eh?

Comment

No mate, that sounds excellent.... 8-)

It is a bit like a Bazooka isnt it ;D.... A bit tricky getting it to fit under the sink though

Mal.

Comment

I just fitted a Brita filter / softener from Bombora as well. Its replacing a scale stopper 3M filter which was used for about a year before that.

Adelaide water in: 130ppm
                    out: 30ppm

This filter has a bypass valve which was set to 30%, when achieving the above.

Ive fitted a T piece as well, and plumbed it into the laundry mixer tap so it can also be used for drinking water.

Comment

I have been using 25% water run through a brita jug, 75% reverse osmosis water. The thinking being this will cause less scale than 100% brita water, yet still be safe for the water level probe. So far so good, and water tests confirm.

Comment

Which water filter to use???

Im in the process of upgrading to either a Bezzera Galatea Domus or a Rocket Giotto Evoluzione and have decided to throw a water filter into the mix to ensure I look after the new baby!

Can anyone shed some light on how far I need to go with a filter? Would a 2 or 3 stage filter be sufficient or am I best to go for the reverse osmosis filter?

I have been told by a water filter company that a reverse osmosis is the only way to take out all chemicals including fluroide and not have any scale but not sure if its going too far. Also I want to use the filter for drinking water as well so dont really want to take out the fluoride.

Any thoughts??

Comment

Re: Which water filter to use???

I recommend you talk to Bombora.

Comment

Ive got something from this page for my GPP
                            http://www.bomborasupplies.com.au/home.php?cat=8718

cant remember which one though. I think it cost just over $100 for parts from Bombora and then another $100 worth of parts to get it all hooked up. Pressure regulation valve, tap, couple of water hoses, fittings etc

A plumber friend of mine did all of that for me, you might have it set up slightly differently to me if you go for a plumbed in machine.

Comment

First comment is that MOST of the mass marketed water filtration companies are built on marketing spin and bulldust. Doesnt apply to professional companies such as Bombora.

Before you go anywhere near R/O filtration you need to consider the water quality going in. If it is already fairly clean and low in mineral content then you can get to a point where the boiler autofill wont work resulting in burnt out elements for a start. There are ways to avoid this such as remineralizer cartridges.

I am running R/O water after a sand and a triple stage filter but we also have bore water to start with :P Resulting taste and taint is as good or better than rain water and it still contains trace minerals which work fine on my Autofills.

Rough guide on most decent water supplies would be a good sediment filter followed by a 1 micron Carbon and then look at a Bombora conditioning filter after that.

Comment

I have pretty good water to start with (around 150ppm) but using a little portable RO filter it eliminates all the minerals. I then add back about 20% brita jug filtered water to put back in some minerals so that the autofill sensor can work. Works very well and no scale after 1.5 yrs. I will definitely stick with RO, it just works so well and is cheap in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                                X