X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimal
    replied
    Yep, you're wasting your time unless you have your water professionally tested by someone like Bombora...
    Test Strips are just indicators really, not suitable for determining the type of filtering you may need.

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• Caffeinator
    replied
    Have your water professionally tested. It's unlikely that any filter system will be suitable for you location.

Leave a comment:

• kexkez
    replied
    Originally posted by Dimal View Post
    Ive been using a Bombora Scale Inhibitor system for some time now and am very happy with it. Initially, I tried a resin exchange system and when compared with the inhibitor system, I cant really pick any effect from either, on the palate.

Like you though, I opted for the system which was easiest for me to deal with in my circumstances, and chose against the resin exchange. Given that neither system seems to add or subtract anything from the coffee flavour profile (that my son and I could detect), swapping out a cartridge every 12 months or so is a very convenient option for me.

Mal.
    Hi I was wondering if you are still using this. I'm looking into filters now. Having just ordered a fridge with inbuilt water system (piping is ready to go I'll jsut need it to be plumbed in.connected) I was considered the option of put the fridge town on a filter and then using water from that for my coffee machine. Was your filter used for more than just your coffee making water?

Have jsut tested the water coming out of the tap and some how despite the fact that we've been told over and over our water is very hard here( buy the expensive hot water heating element for hard water and it still lasts less than 2 years) on the test strip i just did, hardness is close to 50PPM and according to the Water Board their readings in 2018 are Min 65- Max 120 average 98??? now I'm wodnering do I need a filter?
    Last edited by kexkez; 23rd November 2019, 07:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    Unexpected Consequences...

Some thoughts...

Have recently replaced our water filter, going from the much vaunted "Brita C150 Finest", back to a "3M HF15-MS" unit which we were using prior to switching over to the Brita unit, several years ago.

Given that the taste of coffee in the cup should always be the final arbiter in deciding the choices we make, the most noticeable thing, is the significant improvement of the quality of the flavour of the coffee in the cup. To me at least, it is almost a night and day comparison and surprising given that we were using this before the Brita. Don't know what the explanation is but the resulting brews are sweeter, no bitterness at all and a much more interesting overall flavour profile.

We don't own a semi-auto espresso machine any more, so the claimed better anti-scale performance of the Brita isn't really an issue but we do use our Brazen quite a bit so still feel the need for a filter that controls TH satisfactorily which the 3M always managed well before.

So, what am I trying to say here? I guess if you are still not quite satisfied with the quality of the coffee in your cup, it pays to experiment with all facets of the coffee making process, one at a time. I decided to head in this direction because, from my records of when we were using the 3M units originally, one of my "starred" points, was the improvement in flavour detected when we made the switch from the original generic anti-scale filter we were using. So, thought... Why not? We'll try it again and sure enough, the difference is quite remarkable (to me) and as a result, will be sticking with the 3M filters from now on...

Mal.
    Last edited by Dimal; 17th October 2019, 04:35 PM. Reason: Add title...

Leave a comment:

• Dimal
    replied
    A Water Treatise for Coffee Lovers...

I know that there are plenty of articles "out there" that deal with the need for maintaining good water quality, when making coffee and caring for your hardware, but I thought that this one was quite well laid out and contained most, if not all, the required information...
    https://dailycoffeenews.com/2018/08/...ionals-part-i/

Mal.

Leave a comment:

• cookster
    replied
    Sorry for coming to the chat a little late, but having read loads on here I am still a little confused.

Being a rural vic country property we have rainwater tanks for our drinking water supply (roof collected) which is pumped through a 5 micron particulate filter. The water tastes great and 'not flat' (to my taste anyway).

Do I need a filter??? given that its already filtered just post pump, but I do want to look after my Giotto EVO Rotary Pump and am thinking of getting it plumbed in and didn't want to miss a filter to the install if I need one?

thanks in advance.

Leave a comment:

• simonsk8r
    replied
    Hey guys quick question! When filling up your water tank with filtered water (I have the Aqua Pro Benchtop Filter System), do you let it run for a minute or so before filling the water tank?

It says that before use you should let it run for a minute if not used often, or just as a recommendation. (upon very first usage it says two minutes, but subsequent times let it run for a minute)

Does anyone do this, and is it really necessary? I really only use the filter in the morning once, no other times during the day, so not sure if I need to let it run for a bit first.. just don't wanna unnecessarily use up the cartridge so to speak..

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• JohnA
    replied
    I have been using the c150 underbench kit for almost 2 years now with my r58 plumbed in.
    However we just sold our house and will be renting for a little while till our new place is built.

So i wont be able to plumb in the machine and dont want to be setting up the the c150 kit on the kitchen tap which will also be used to wash dishes etc.

So was wondering if the aqua pro benchtop setup will be as good to protect the machine from scale build up

Leave a comment:

• kopiku
    replied
    Thanks for the replies

Leave a comment:

• coffee_machinist
    replied
    Also the coffee tastes better with balanced mineral content but thats boring

Leave a comment:

• coffee_machinist
    replied
    Absolutely.

As water increases in purity it also becomes more of a solvent, and wants to leach things out of metals it contacts. This is particularly bad with stainless steel and the strange metallurgy around welds. Thus it's a very very bad idea to use non-remineralised RO in your expensive multiboiler LM, synesso etc. and of course same is true for domestic machinery. Everything in moderation!

Leave a comment:

• TC
    replied
    Originally posted by kopiku View Post
    Hi,

I am just wondering whether water with 0 ppm is good for an espresso machine? I've been using this water for about month, and it's so far so food.

Thanks.
    All depends what it's 0ppm of!

In general, machines use electrical signals to sense the presence of water. For example, many boilers employ a probe which earths on contact with water informing the control board to halt the boiler fill process. No conductivity = overfill.

You need some stuff in water and to use something approaching distilled is a no go.

Leave a comment:

• kopiku
    replied
    Hi,

I am just wondering whether water with 0 ppm is good for an espresso machine? I've been using this water for about month, and it's so far so food.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• trentski
    replied
    Usually rated at 12 months or x litres whatever comes first.

Leave a comment:

• simonko
    replied
    Just got the C150 Finest recently - was concerned about the replacement cartridge cost but seeing the size of it and rated capacity I though it was ok. 1100 L at a water hardness rated double of what I have here locally, so I'm good for ages. Plus manufacturers would build in a decent factor of safety with capacity, the bean counters too probably encouraging early swap over.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X