Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VST Machined Filter Baskets

Hey all,

So VST has recently made filter baskets that are machined so some ridiculous accuracy. Read about them here if youre interested:

NON Site Sponsor link removed in accordance with Site Sales and Posting Policy
    Brochure PDF File attached below...

Id order these in a heartbeat if the owners werent such tools and didnt charge $85 for postage!? What the hell is that?

Anyway, definitely looking forward to places getting these in stock so I can buy them locally instead of paying $110 for a filter basket delivered. Or, if a bunch of people were interested, we could do a CS bulk order?

~M

Re: VST Machined Filter Baskets

Well, they have a product that *may* be *somewhat* better. I can see a shop that wants to gain consistency might find it useful to buy one for each head/handle---but---if I have to learn how to use it, I cant see it making a big change when I only have one machine and one group handle.

As for the shipping rip-off---they have to make a profit somehow!

I got a pair of shoes express delivered from the States in 7 days (over Easter!) for less than half that price.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by 5E404A575640330 link=1304666268/0#0 date=1304666268
      Or, if a bunch of people were interested, we could do a CS bulk order?
      Ive made enquiries.

Will let everyone know the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by 2137323223212D24242727420 link=1304666268/2#2 date=1304679996
        Originally posted by 5E404A575640330 link=1304666268/0#0 date=1304666268
        Or, if a bunch of people were interested, we could do a CS bulk order?
        Ive made enquiries. 

Will let everyone know the outcome.
        We have lift off!

These baskets can be purchased on the US website for US$25 plus US$85 postage.

I am going to place an order for the 18gm and 22gm baskets and have been assured of a better postage rate.

Cost for either of the above 2 baskets will be around AU$35.

Is anyone interested before I confirm my order? If so, could you please indicate which size you would prefer?

Comment

if we can get them for around $35, id be interested in one of the 22gm baskets, assuming it can fit the group handle for a Sunbeam 6910. (same to say it will?)

~M

Comment

Originally posted by 455B514C4D5B280 link=1304666268/4#4 date=1304856941
            if we can get them for around $35, id be interested in one of the 22gm baskets, assuming it can fit the group handle for a Sunbeam 6910. (same to say it will?)

~M
            Ill let you know the exact dimensions when they arrive. No one is under any obligation to buy by expressing interest and have had a few pms.

If anyone had told me a week ago Id be ordering well over $1k worth of baskets Id have laughed myself silly!

Comment

Originally posted by 3628223F3E285B0 link=1304666268/4#4 date=1304856941

~M
              Ive used non-Sunbeam 58mm baskets in a 6910 without any problems.

Comment

The reason why these baskets are important for coffee shops is because they allow you to fully extract a coffee. A basket that isnt machined properly (have holes not fully punched out etc) will cause you to underextract your espresso no matter how hard you try, all refractometer readings will give you a TDS reading below your target range.

Comment

Re TDS, have you used one of the following David?

http://www.coffeechemistry.com/index.php/Lab-Equipment/Coffee-TDS-Meter.html

Comment

We have placed an order for these.

The 22gm baskets will be the first to arrive and the 18gm baskets are expected some time in June.

Cheers!

Comment

Will you be selling them in the shop Dennis?

Comment

Originally posted by 7A434949454645664B5E5E4F2A0 link=1304666268/10#10 date=1305246056
                        Will you be selling them in the shop Dennis?
                        Yes, will let everyone know here in this thread when they arrive, and the cost.

Comment

My baskets (18g & 22g) arrived Sat morning and had the opportunity to compare the VST baskets with my Synesso double and the Expobar double that came with the Minore. Ive only used the 18g basket so far for comparative reasons. I cleaned all components, Machine, basket and grinder.

First impressions - Better build quality than the others, with visibly more holes that are more evenly spaced, and closer to the edge. The Synesso & Expobar baskets appear simmilar except the Expobar basket is rigded. VST basket is more vertical than the others with a smaller radius at the bottom. Overall, looks and feels better to me.

Cons - Unless you have an LM group handle or a naked handle, the basket might not fit. The straighter walls and smaller radius of the baskets do not allow it to fit into the Expobar group handle, lucky ive got a naked, but if I wanted to split shots Id need a differend handle.

Pros - Feels like it might have a teflon type coating and the puck, post extraction, comes away easier than the others. Might seem trivial but it makes cleaning the basket easier.

Had to change my technique for the VST baskets, grinding finer to get a simmilar extaction. I settled on a 19g of coffee and a 27 sec extraction, double ristretto, to produce aprox 28mls of coffee for each basket. I purchased some beans for consistancy (and my roaster has been waiting for parts). I used my Expobar Minore III , Mazzer Kony E, naker handle and weighed the ground coffee before shot. Yet to try it with flat burrs but I dont see this as necessary for the test.

Conclusion so far........

Shots seem to be more rounded. By that I mean with the Expobar & Synesso baskets, the flavour of the coffee hit all the points on my pallet I thought it would, But with the VST basket, it seemed to fill the void that I didnt notice before. The flavour seemed to be not so compartmentalised, but fuller. This also pointed out that perhaps more body was produced by the new baskets.

Yet to try the 22g basket, and for now at least Im very happy with my $30 outlay per basket as I feel its produced a better cup, at my house anyway.

Comment

Got mine on friday via the twitter group buy. Great results so far. I dont think im allowed to post a link to more info because theyre not a sponsor, so you might have to use google to find it. Suffice to say that many coffee people on twitter have been discussing the VST baskets and we all agree a finer grind is required, and the resulting cup has (i think) more high notes (think fruitier).

There is no teflon coating, they are just new and shiny.

Comment

One and the same group buy Rival.

Originally posted by 68736C7B76222B1A0 link=1304666268/13#13 date=1306053277
                              There is no teflon coating, they are just new and shiny.
                              Not so sure. No not teflon, but might be something to do with the grade of stainless steel. Think I remember hearing something about a coating for some grades.

Will ask the metal urgest at work

Comment

Working...
                              X