Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VST Filter Basket - Whats Your Experience Been Like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VST Filter Basket - Whats Your Experience Been Like?

Been playing around with my 15g & 18g VST filter baskets for over a week now. Was wondering what our resident experts have found in using these basket? What changes in techniques, grind setting and dosing have you found necessary?

My own experience when compared to my synesso baskets is that they do allow much more water flow and you have to grind significantly finer. So far I have updosed these baskets to 18.5-19.0 and 21.0g respectively and 4 teeth finer on my Mazzer. Some have recommended dosing down to the rated basket capacity and leave a concave in the coffee bed in the middle. Have yet to try that.

Taste wise so far the synessos win but early days yet.

As Greg says these are the Pullmans of Filter baskets - absolute engineering marvel so I am persisting.

regards
    JohnT

Re: VST Filter Basket - Whats Your Experience Been Like?

Hi John - Ive now been using mine for a month.

The flow is indeed quicker. But in comparison to the Synesso baskets - small but noticeable improvement IMHO.

Only did one back-to-back comparison, and slightly muffed the grinder setting so the shot via the VST was a tiny bit fast. The two shots tasted too close to pick, but the one I did immediately after with the grinder tweaked a bit more was lovely. But that could be wishful thinking..

I do love the way the puck just drops clear too! I suspect I might be getting the single version when it comes out (I have the 18g).

/Kevin

Comment

Good one Kevin,

Are you dosing at the 18g mark or overdosing?

I have been using the 15g most dosing at 15.7g. and the pucks come out sloppy and not in one piece. But coffee tastes fine and extraction is at 28 seconds so pretty good.

regards
      JohnT

Comment

Been using my 18g basket a couple of weeks now, I initially had to dial my Mini in a few notches to slow down the faster pour compared to the Synesso basket, I have noticed a small improvement in shot quality and consistency has been good, if I dose a fraction low I get damp pucks. More than happy with the VST

Comment

Dosing - well, I used to weigh the beans before putting them in the grinder.  But I got to thinking that seemed just a bit too anal. 

I discovered that the little shot glass in the cupboard held exactly 18g of KJM blend beans, and also 18g of the Ghimbi and also the Malawi...  So I just dose in a volumetric way.  Which still gets a chuckle from the spectators, but I can live with that  :

So yes - everything is 18g +/- a small amount.

/Kevin

PS: More and more Im convinced the VST is actually quite a good improvement. Id buy another. In fact, when the single is available Ill buy one [Greg: expect me in your office when that happens!]

Comment

Im trying to use the 22g baskets, but have almost given up on them.

Ive found that even at the finest grind setting before the burrs touch, I cant get great shots. Ive been trying to only dose 22g, which doesnt fill the basket well, but pours at an ok rate. It tends to channel around the edges of the basket, and never really group or pour at the centre.

Ive got a very good fitting, flat tamp. Ive tried several techniques, but every time, my pucks appear perforated around the edges, and (if I updose to about 25g) fairly dry in the centre. Upon further investigation, I found that my e61 group only seems to pour water around the edges, but I dont understand why this is only happening to myself :|

A very frustrated,
            Nader.

Comment

Could be that others are having the same problem and dont want to say, or could be a technique issue that your distribution isnt as good as it could be.

Brett

Comment

Is it only with the VSTs youre having this issue? If so +1 moto and look at your dosing technique. Id strongly recommend reading through http://coffeegeek.com/opinions/markprince/04-29-2011 because Mark Princes original technique gave him poor results. Once he changed the technique everything fell into place.

Greg

Comment

I found this with some useful comments and hints on the VST:

http://haveanicecoffeetime.com/2011/...e-vst-baskets/

I still have not decided if the VST produce better coffee for me than my previous synessos. They are just different - but well see.

regards
                  JohnT

Comment

I have received my 15 and 18gm vst.Ill
                    Let everyone know how I go

Comment

Nader, you are not the only one.

I had the same issues last week when the VST arrived from Greg.

All Ive learnt from these VST baskets is that I need to pay a fair bit more attention to dosing and distributing the grinds. Also, (this may sound a bit daft) but I now realised I sometimes collapse on a slight angle and somehow that is more evident in the VST than the Synesso basket.

Comment

I know I am going against the collective wisdom on the use of these baskets but I have gone back to overdosing these baskets (just like the synesso) and I am liking the taste much more! I mean those sloppy pucks just didnt seem right! Am dosing the 15g with 19g and it works for me, had to adjust grind 1 notch coarser too.

Be interested in your experience in over vs on spec dosing.

regards
                        JohnT

Comment

Hello

I have found 19.5g dose of beans in the 18g VST basket works well for me, just needed to use a finer grind than I was using with the standard expobar basket
                          Using a K3 T and expobar minore 3 .

Regards
                          MNSTA

Comment

Im grinding finer and dosing so that the screen leaves a slight impression on the coffee on my VBM Super. Seems to work for me, WHEN I get it right

Cheers.

Comment

Im about to give up on the VST and go back to the Synesso. My dosing etc is obviously not great but Im really after a "decent" morning coffee or 2 and I can get that easier with the Synesso.

Comment

Working...
                              X