Tampers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampers

Hello everybody . . my very first post - a question. Forgive me if this has been covered already, I havent had time to read everything yet, quite a bit to cover. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but here goes; whats the deal with tampers? Why do some people pay large amounts of money for tampers - are they a fashion statement? I made mine from 5mm perspex and a drawer knob, seems to do the job . . photo attached. Cheers, Lindsay.

Re: Tampers

Like anything we have in this consumer society, we buy what we want to.  So I have bought two Pullman Tampers since becoming a snob.  I am not saying that they are the best just that they appeal to me.  I have used cheaper tampers and they do the job but in my opinion the Pullman does a better job.

It is like buying cars I could buy a toyota or a BMW it will depend on money available and also a desire to buy something other people may not have.  Unfortunately I drive a toyota but I can get an upmarket tamper. ;D

Comment

Hi Lindsay

I use an Espro tamper and I paid over $100 for it but it is to hopefully take out another variable (tamp pressure) to achieve a better result.

Wayne

Comment

Hi Linzoid,

Youre right; almost anything will squash down coffee. Ive heard of people using teaspoons, vegemite jars, even their hand!

Consistency is very important in making coffee. The water pressure when making espresso can be around 1000kPa (thats about four times what you put in your car tyres!), so any slight difference in how well the coffee puck is prepared can have a big effect on the results in the cup. Youd probably find a purpose-made tamper more comfortable to use and easier to control than the one youve made, and that being the case youd be more likely to be able to tamp more consistently than with what you have. There are a few tampers (ours included) which can be machined to fit the basket exactly so theres no untamped ring of coffee around the edge for that high-pressure water to escape through. Then there are different colours, materials, styles, you name it!

All or any of these reasons are some of the reasons why some people spend the extra money on a purpose-built tamper.

HTH,
        Greg

Comment

LOL, just wait till you find out about baskets ;D

What does the bottom of your tamper look like?

Comment

Originally posted by 404542564345482C0 link=1310874246/0#0 date=1310874245
            hy do some people pay large amounts of money for tampers - are they a fashion statement?
            Following on from Stans statement above, this site is about coffee. People want more coffee equipment and flashy ones at that! So, if I wanted to spend a few hundred to upgrade my coffee setup, but didnt have enough to upgrade my machine or grinder - then I guess you could buy a shiny new tamper.

Comment

Originally posted by 53564F4F4E424D230 link=1310874246/3#3 date=1310902604
              Youre right; almost anything will squash down coffee. Ive heard of people using teaspoons, vegemite jars, even their hand!
              I had an old breville, and Swisse Ultivite tablet packs were the perfect size as a tamper :P

Comment

Thanks folks . . . its pretty much as I suspected. Trentski, not sure if you are having a laugh, my tamper being transparent, but the bottom is quite flat and even except for the phillips head screw securing it to the knob. At this stage of my coffee journey, Im using a standard stovetop pot, so I guess my tamping is not really crucial yet?

Comment

Hi Linzoid, awesome little tamper you made. I like that you can see through it as well
                  For home use it looks like it would do the job nicely. Did you percision fit it to your basket?
                  My tampers diameter is 1-2mm smaller than my basket which annoys me. One day I may splurge on a Pullman too.

Comment

Hi Yash . . my tamper is also a tad smaller than my basket, but Im not annoyed by that. What I AM annoyed by is that my budget doesnt allow for all the way cool equipment that I see on this site!!!!!  [smiley=undecided.gif]

Comment

Originally posted by 2520273326202D490 link=1310874246/9#9 date=1311582763
                      Hi Yash . . my tamper is also a tad smaller than my basket, but Im not annoyed by that. What I AM annoyed by is that my budget doesnt allow for all the way cool equipment that I see on this site!!!!!
                      Check out the for sale section - plenty of cool bargains come up there regularly!

Comment

Originally posted by 404542564345482C0 link=1310874246/9#9 date=1311582763
                        What I AM annoyed by is that my budget doesnt allow for all the way cool equipment that I see on this site!!!!!  [smiley=undecided.gif]
                        Welcome Linzoid... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hell mate, dont worry about any of that. What is waaayyy more important is the quality and freshness of your coffee, and the means to grind only that amount you need for immediate use. Everything else can wait until you have the means...

All I started out with (many years ago) was a small burr grinder (Braun) and a Tea Infuser thingy (full of freshly ground coffee) that I drizzled the hot water on to. Made a beautiful cuppa.... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 2E2B3232333F305E0 link=1310874246/3#3 date=1310902604
                          There are a few tampers (ours included) which can be machined to fit the basket exactly
                          This is the most practical feature of a tamper for me

Comment

Originally posted by 4441465247414C280 link=1310874246/7#7 date=1311579676
                            Trentski, not sure if you are having a laugh, my tamper being transparent, but the bottom is quite flat and even except for the phillips head screw securing it to the knob.

Thats what I was wondering about, how the knob was held onto the base and if that was leaving an imprint on the puck that could lead to channeling.

Comment

Ive countersunk the head of the screw into the perspex so that its flush. All I get is a faint cross imprint from the phillips head in the coffee. Being as Im only using a moka pot at this stage, I wouldnt think channeling would be an issue?

Comment

Working...
                              X