Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tamper Mat - do you have one? do I need one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamper Mat - do you have one? do I need one?

The more I look into our next machine purchase, the more accessories I discover! Tamper mats main function is to save the kitchen bench, is that right? So..whats the consenus - how many of you have them and are they something you cant live without.

Carina.

Re: Tamper Mat - do you have one? do I need one?

I have one and as you say I bought it mainly to save the bench. It is also useful for collecting any loose coffee that may fall off the basket when tamping. Could I live without it yes - but for the money why go without?

Some people purchase the more expensive click mats which measure the pressure you exert when tamping. Could be a useful aid to achieve consistency if you feel the need.

Comment

No, and no.

You will only damage your bench if you have the sensitivity, coordination and tactility of a 4 year old.

But hey, if having a mat would make you happy or feel more comfortable, get it!

Comment

Were going from a fully automatic to (probably) a Lelit so the comparison to a 4 year old might apply in the first days! ;D

Comment

I do not believe laminex can handle ~50kg/cm^2 if you tamp on it, so I use a mat. Nothing fancy though. $2 offcut of very firm rubber from Clark Rubber. Still going strong after around 6 months.

Comment

I dont use one... ive got enough coffee paraphernalia cluttering up the kitchen bench as it is. Never damaged the bench. Its not an expensive item though so if youre worried, why not

Comment

I use one, it came with my grinder, so I dont see why not!
              But honestly, I do think it is a piece of necessary equipment to have, because my machine likes a higher dose, and hence I generally do a few "settling" taps on the tamping mat.
              I find that it is invaluable.

Comment

I used to use one for several years then I saw a Bumper Stand listed on the Veneziano website and purchased one immediately. Suits me down to the ground... 8-) These are no longer available unfortunately, having been bought out by Cafelat who have their own design.

Mal.

Comment

I rest the PF on the bar of the knock box (stainless - so quite strong) and tamp that way. One less thing on the bench and any stray grinds fall straight into the knock box.

Must say though, the bumber stand above looks very nice!!

Cheers

Comment

The SB grinder came with a sort of a mat so I use it - mainly to stop little puncture marks in the bench.

Comment

I have been using an old very thin plastic cutting board, which I also sit under the grinder to catch stray grinds, helps to keep the mess contained, and easier to clean up.
                      If you do any settling taps I think anything that protects your bench top is a good idea, but whatever works for you is good.
                      So no you dont necessarily need a tamper mat but some sort of bench protection can be useful.

Comment

The only thing I have noticed when banging down the PF to settle grinds against rubber (in my case knock box stainless rod wrapped in rubber), is that it produces a bit of "bounce", which can actually unsettle/disturb the grounds on subsequent taps, negating the prior taps. This doesnt happen if I tap on something more solid like a bit of timber.

Not sure if a thing tamping mat would have a similar issue, maybe the rubber on my knock box is too pliable?

Cheers

Comment

I have an attractive looking camphor wood chopping board about the size of a DVD case that I tamp on. I dont do any settling taps.

The board goes well with my Jarrah handled Pullman 8-)

I did find that tamping on a stainless steel bench will mark the steel.

Comment

I agree with artman; tamping on a bouncy surface can unsettle your beans and actually NOT give the settling effect that a light tamp on a solid surface can produce. If you think about it, the more solid the surface onto which you are tamping the more you are compressing and flattening-out your ground beans. It only takes a very light tap to get the effect you need; and no harm to any surface is likely.

Comment

Originally posted by 535F4A4A475A483E0 link=1312357047/2#2 date=1312359319
                              You will only damage your bench if you have the sensitivity, coordination and tactility of a 4 year old.
                              Thats a little boorish, but well move on..

I use a mat because Ive modified the double spout on my group handle to cater for shots into one demitasse cup. After trial and error, I made the bottom edges slightly pointed as I found it helped create a neater pour. The other handle is naked so I use either that or the double.

Comment

Working...
                              X