This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build your own knock box (knock tube)

Not sure if this has been done/posted before, but here is how I made a knock box. Next time I would make it much shorter, say 15cm, and cut the top at an angle before splaying it.
    Greg

Re: Build your own knock box (knock tube)

Apply heat …

Comment

Splay the top …

Comment

Insert 12mm dowel with 13mm tube. ( You have to thread the tube.)

Comment

Paint it … And start knocking out those pucks.

Comment

Nice one Greg, looks great.

Comment

Ive made a couple of DIY knockboxes based on plastic food containers such as decor or systema.

I went for these because they seal - important to me because I keep the container in a cupboard, and the lid retains the steam and smell!

The first one was made with a large bolt and clear rubber hose (all siliconed in place). This lasted several years before cracking in one spot and generally looking a bit feral.

To be honest, the hose was a bit stiff and lacked bounce. This meant I was timid about giving the pf a decent knock, so the puck didnt come out as well.

The new one (plus a replica for my folks) I went upmarket and bought the bar and rubber as spare parts from a proper domestic knock box . A bit more expensive, but much easier and neater result.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by 64514C44444F4650230 link=1162705311/22#22 date=1326412704
                Apply heat …

Thats a pretty sick looking heat gun youve got there! Did the rest of the case end on the floor, or inside your breadmaker?

Comment

If I was a surfer I might take that differently ... Its an Aldi one used once a week for 2 years. My roaster is a Kenwood with a stainless bowl and makeshift lid( who would have thought...) so all the heat funnels back over the heat gun nozzle. Greg.

Comment

Excellent "how to" post Groggles!

What sort of paint / prep did you have to do to get it to stick to the PVC?

Comment

I gave the outside a quick scrub with some fine sandpaper and just used normal wallpaint ... there were no issues with the paint adhering - it adhered well to the inside which did not get sanded.
                      Cheers

Greg

Comment

Hi Greg, great design, Ive got something similar in progress, but im wondering what sort of tube you fed over the dowel?
                        Cheers
                        Luke

Comment

Originally posted by 66504E574947220 link=1326412623/11#11 date=1334538862
                          Hi Greg, great design, Ive got something similar in progress, but im wondering what sort of tube you fed over the dowel?
                          Cheers
                          Luke
                          Its often just a piece of garden hose. Looks like greg has used some clear hose, but regular green hose would be fine!

David

Comment

Ok, thanks! So the garden hose works out not too hard/not too soft? Im happy to buy something from the local hardware store if results are better/safer for my pf. If not my garden hose loses a few inches then!
                            Luke

Comment

Great post.

I will be making a floor standing version ( with the right length for the garbage bag) for the restaurant (with angled top) now that the old one is falling apart.
                              Will use some heating for the hose to stretch and fit.

Gary at G

Comment

Working...
                              X