Whats an HX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats an HX?

So... whats an HX? Heat Exchange? I see the term used but I dont know what people mean.

Re: Whats an HX?

Originally posted by 7E7E6E72737F761A0 link=1328702065/5#5 date=1328874954
    So... whats an HX?  Heat Exchange?  I see the term used but I dont know what people mean.
    Heat eXchanger. Its a, you guessed it, method of transferring heat. Its typically seen in prosumer and commercial machines and most frequently consists of a large test tube shaped metal cylinder (Part # 700236 here: http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/cimbali/cimbali-spare-parts-1) that sticks into the boiler. The brew water is injected into the tube where it is flash heated and then channeled to the brew head.

Java "Exchange what?!?" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Ah... so its two purposes would be: Get the coffee out faster and regulate temperature?

Is it a lot different from thermoblock in concept and/or practice?

Comment

Originally posted by 7E7E6E72737F761A0 link=1328874956/2#2 date=1328922638
        Ah... so its two purposes would be: Get the coffee out faster and regulate temperature?

Is it a lot different from thermoblock in concept and/or practice?
        HXs allow water to be flash heated to a consistent temperature and the large boilers typically used in HX systems are also able to heat and maintain the temperature of the large grouphead(s) commonly found on commercial machines.

HXs predate modern electronic heating and control circuitry with the advent of modern electronics leading to the appearance of thermoblocks in espresso machines.

In practice an HX system and a thermoblock system do the same thing, deliver water at a certain temperature and volume to the basket of ground coffee. In many systems they also heat the grouphead(s). Designs of the two systems however vary widely between all the different machines out there in the marketplace.

Java "Nuclear power plants are HXs" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Javaphile, you are the undisputed KING of organizing threads!

Thanks for the explanation.

Serving Royalty
          even when I dont feel like it.

Comment

Here is a site that explains how a heat exchanger works.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/heat-exchanger-machines-how-they-work

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by 42697E69786061646D080 link=1328874956/3#3 date=1328975924
              HXs allow water to be flash heated to a consistent temperature and the large boilers typically used in HX systems are also able to heat and maintain the temperature of the large grouphead(s) commonly found on commercial machines.

HXs predate modern electronic heating and control circuitry with the advent of modern electronics leading to the appearance of thermoblocks in espresso machines.
              HXs also provide the only solution available at the time without having your own Nuke to heat the brew water. You need to heat (say) 30ml of water for a single to 92C (say) from room temperature - that isnt easy - it is a lot of energy. Doing it electrically requires something like a thermoblock just to get the energy transferred from the metal to the water. With an HX, there is a "reservoir" of heated water in the HX loop.

I suspect people generally dont want the inside of their coffee machine to glow, or for the lights to dim when they pull a shot!

/Kevin

Comment

Working...
              X