Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Filter Advice

Hi Everyone,

I was pretty much ready to go with the C150 water filter kit, but I was reluctant to drill another hole in the bench or sink for the gooseneck.  I then stumbled across the Everpure SPA400 which seems to be a "mains pressure" filter and therefore I could just hook it up to the cold water of my mixed tap.  I cant seem to find too many reviews or advice on this filter (sorry if there is already a thread on this unit, I tried searching the forums and couldnt find any).  It appears to tick all the right boxes on first glance but the lime scale reduction/inhibition seems different in principle to that of the C150.  Replacement cartridge costs seem about the same between the 2 units (C150/SPA400) so not a big difference there.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Water Filter Advice

Sorry, forgot to add a link to the unit I was looking at:
    http://www.everpure.com.au/products.html

Its on the far right of that list.

Comment

Originally posted by 684456505144250 link=1337726109/0#0 date=1337726109
      Hi Everyone,

I was pretty much ready to go with the C150 water filter kit, but I was reluctant to drill another hole in the bench or sink for the gooseneck.  I then stumbled across the Everpure SPA400 which seems to be a "mains pressure" filter and therefore I could just hook it up to the cold water of my mixed tap.  I cant seem to find too many reviews or advice on this filter (sorry if there is already a thread on this unit, I tried searching the forums and couldnt find any).  It appears to tick all the right boxes on first glance but the lime scale reduction/inhibition seems different in principle to that of the C150.  Replacement cartridge costs seem about the same between the 2 units (C150/SPA400) so not a big difference there.

Thanks for any advice.
      Why not give Bombora a call? They handle both brands....

Comment

Thanks for that Chris, I didnt realise that they also stocked and sold the Everpure range.

Comment

The Everpure SPA-400 specs dont say anything about reducing Calcium or Magnesium ... so you should confirm that it really is a solution for softening water for your coffee machine.

The Brita C150 kits are our preference for coffee machine water filtration and softening and we put together a kit that plumbs straight to your cold water tap as well as the full kit with extra tap (and requires the extra hole). But note that if you go to your cold water tap, every litre you take out of your tap will "use up" the resin in the C150 cartridge so the cut down version is not a great solution if you use your tap lots for other purposes - eg washing up. In that scenario, bite the bullet and get the kit with extra tap.

charlie

Comment

Where are you based?
            Water quality varies enormously around Australia.
            In QLD we support a local supplier based on the GC who is not a site sponsor unfortunately, but has extensive  knowledge in this field. On the Gold Coast and for Brisbane, the water is pretty good, and you only need a basic two filter system. One is the sediment filter, and the next is a carbon filter. For scale reduction it is recommended to use an inline magnetic filter. I have this setup and it works great. Filter costs for both cartridges are under $30. For WA and SA seek advice from Bombora, as those states have very hard water. This filter system can be connected to your current sytem, without the need for another tap.
            Either way, I would recommend an inline magnet as well to help reduce scale, regardless of your setup.

Comment

Originally posted by 595E4B44492A0 link=1337726109/5#5 date=1337763686
              For scale reduction it is recommended to use an inline magnetic filter.
              Magnetic carbonates and sulfates eh? Next thing Ill need a magnetic pillow..:-?

Comment

Here we go again, the typical cynicism that your infamous for.
                To those interested, check out Gundrill Trading. All the proof is on their website.
                You can save heaps and do not need to buy expensive solutions from site sponsors.

Comment

Originally posted by 7770656A67040 link=1337726109/7#7 date=1337767104
                  Here we go again, the typical cynicism that your infamous for.
                  To those interested, check out scammers r us. All the proof is on their website.
                  You can save heaps and do not need to buy expensive solutions from site sponsors.
                  Charming... [] Heres an apostrophe for you. Ill let you buy a consonant and a vowel as well.

I also dont believe in snake oil :

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/magscams.html

Comment

So said the peddler

Comment

Originally posted by 5156434C41220 link=1337726109/9#9 date=1337768598
                      So said the peddler
                      Ill say it too. I think youve been standing too close to that magnet. The site you mention doesnt have any hard evidence, unless of course youre referring to the bit about cattle drinking more water and crops producing a better yield.

Originally posted by 5156434C41220 link=1337726109/9#9 date=1337768598
                      So said the peddler
                      In this case, that would be you.

Comment

Not coffee related guys but this stock on the ASX will make me plenty of coin in drug delivery..... Research OBJ and their magnetic technology!!

Comment

Originally posted by 6F4A4B515C250 link=1337726109/11#11 date=1337773301
                          Research OBJ and their magnetic technology!!
                          I wonder if I made a hair net out of magnets if my hair would be pulled up from under my scalp where its been hiding for a number of years? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 17363D3D3A20530 link=1337726109/12#12 date=1337775252
                            Originally posted by 6F4A4B515C250 link=1337726109/11#11 date=1337773301
                            Research OBJ and their magnetic technology!!
                            I wonder if I made a hair net out of magnets if my hair would be pulled up from under my scalp where its been hiding for a number of years? ;D
                            Not side tracking here Dennis but why would GlaxoSmithKline and the worlds largest consumer healthcare company - Proctor and Gamble sign up for joint development ventures...... Both companies are not stupid!! Forrest from the trees or a paradigm shift!

On a filtration note, Ill stick within exchange, carbon and particulate filtration for my coffee machine - bombora.

Comment

Im with you there Jonty.

I think the drug companies are talking a different level of sophistication when it comes to targeted delivery of medications. Its plausible.

As for water filtration for espresso machines, I too will stick to proven solutions rather than what appears to be quackery with no scientific proof whatsoever. Until Im convinced otherwise with real, hard data to support the claims rather than propaganda, sorry but nope. Nothing whatsoever from the extensive water chemistry component of my degree makes me inclined to think otherwise. Perhaps a couple of really powerful ones might work to pull your leg though (or to extend the wedding tackle).

IMHO, this sorta stuff wont give you 20% economy gains in your car and sorry Dennis, but you will most likely live out the rest of your life as a chrome dome. I believe that this stuff is simply designed to hook gullible Joes with little or no scientific understanding. Youd be better off to buy one of Brockys polarisers. :

Comment

Working...
                              X