No announcement yet.

Should i buy a lever or PID my Silvia??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i buy a lever or PID my Silvia??

I really want to improve my shots, drinking a lot of single origins lately and i really want to get the most out of the fairly pricey beans, im thinking i have a couple of options, i could pid my silvia which would be the cheapest way but im guessing could take a bit of time to do.. Im not sure how much its gonna improve the shot (comments from pided silvia machine owners very welcome)?? Would i be better though (comments from proud lever owners very welcome here) to invest in a lever machine, i dont want to spend too much over $1000, so would one of those little europicolla machines do the job? or would i be looking at the ponte vecchio type rig??

pls help!

Re: Should i buy a lever or PID my Silvia??

I will put my head up out of the trenches ( ready to dodge shots from the "traditionalists" hovering around  )
    Unless you have truly mastered  the art of temperature surfing ( and proven it with temperature reading checks) , then yes, a PID will improve the number of good shots  you make. It will also save you time and water that you normally waste trying to stabilize the temp .
    .. If you are handy and confident with a screwdriver, PIDs are cheap and easy to install.
    Alternatively, you could install a cheap digital temp probe  ( see "gronking")so you can actually see the boiler temp as it ramps up and down and pick the best point to pull the shot.

Having said that as a satisfied owner of a PIDd Silvia enjoying not throwing bad shots down the drain, i have to say i have my eye open for a nice quiet lever machine also . !! 

Comment

thanks for the info blend52, have you tasted many shots from a lever? Do you think id be getting nicer shots?

Comment

Originally posted by 616F666D673631030 link=1338355533/1#1 date=1338365052
        I will put my head up out of the trenches ( ready to dodge shots from the "traditionalists" hovering around  )
        Found this terribly funny.  Nice seeing you here blend52, good to see you still have your head on after that *other* thread, mate

Anyway, back on topic, Im also thinking about getting a lever machine (instead of the HX I have my eye on), so interested to see how this thread pans out. Have some concerns on the quality of coffee I personally would get, though, with a lever machine... I dont think my mojos to that level yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 343C212528606362510 link=1338355533/3#3 date=1338419510
          Anyway, back on topic, Im also thinking about getting a lever machine...  Have some concerns on the quality of coffee I personally would get, though, with a lever machine... I dont think my mojos to that level yet.
          Lever machine is probably the best thing you can do to improve that mojo. Yes, your first few shots probably be pretty average (I know mine were awful) but the amount of feedback you get through that lever, the time, the shot consistency and colour and the amount of control?

You learn so much about the grind, the tamping and the shot its amazing. Once you do get the hang of it, you can pour some pretty awesome coffee with it too.

And they look great!

Comment

There are many reasons for me considering a lever m/c.
            Silvia is a great m/c ( once the temp  is controlled ) but it lacks "character" and gives me the feeling it would be more at home in a laboratory rather than a relaxed kitchen.
            I also crave for minimal reliance on electronics etc, and the vibe pump is a noisy little bugger too !

The few shots i have sampled from a (commercial) lever m/c were very impressive, but weather  you or i can replicate that depends on many other factors,..but i believe the potential is there and i see it as a challenge  or the next step on the coffee ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by 6B656C676D3C3B090 link=1338355533/5#5 date=1338434662
              Silvia is a great m/c ( once the temp  is controlled ) but it lacks "character" and gives me the feeling it would be more at home in a laboratory rather than a relaxed kitchen.
              Geez...Is it a full moon or something?

The Silvia "lacks character" in exactly the same was as any other pump operated machine using unpressurised baskets "lacks character".

Some potential purchaser could read the comment and think the Silvia is no good. Its a long way from no good. In fact, it is likely only to lack character if the nut on the group handle is incorrectly calibrated.

If you expect a plaything lever like a Pavoni to deliver the same result as a commercial lever- to quote the famous man, "tell im es dreamin".

Comment

The Pavoni treated properly makes a really nice shot but it is fiddly like a lot of machines until you get to a technique that works consistently, you also need to watch it for overheating (cant be left on). That said my couple of commercial levers are easier to get great shots out of but that comes at an obvious price.

Comment

Originally posted by 0E51495F545F535A5A5959515D523C0 link=1338355533/6#6 date=1338438558
                  If you expect a plaything lever like a Pavoni to deliver the same result as a commercial lever- to quote the famous man, "tell im es dreamin".
                  thanks cjn this is the kind of important feed back im looking for, so to get commercial lever quality i guess im looking at over $1000 then. Maybe ill do the pid thing.. Orrr.. maybe pid a cheaper e61.. Mmm.. i just want good espresso...

Comment

Originally posted by 79263E282328242D2D2E2E262A254B0 link=1338355533/6#6 date=1338438558

Some potential purchaser could read the comment and think the Silvia is no good.
                    You might read it that way,.. but i suspect most people would simply read it as a "great m/c" with some shortcomings for MY requirements..
                    Useful information, i would hope for any prospective purchaser ?

Maybe i should have mentioned how the chrome falls off the PLASTIC cover around the group head after 12 months !

( i knew the snipers would be around somewhere ! )

Comment

Originally posted by 535D545F550403310 link=1338355533/9#9 date=1338443231
                      the snipers
                      Agreed- the ones who wish to disagree on principle...

Absolutely- theyre around to prevent newbs from the misinformation disseminated by those with a personal agenda..

FWIW- I really dont care as I dont sell them. You want the fit and finish of a $2-4k machine, buy one. For $700, you can have a Silvia or a plastic appliance. Its a simple case of part up or..... :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 0B2532283332646B5C0 link=1338355533/8#8 date=1338441970
                        .... Maybe ill do the pid thing.. Orrr.. maybe pid a cheaper e61.. Mmm.. i just want good espresso...
                        PID on Silvia is a proven mod giving known benefits for little money ( >$50 ?)..and can be done in an hour or so.
                        .. but i am not sure what you expect to achieve from a PID an E61 ( presumably a HX m/c ?)?

Comment

Originally posted by 515F565D570601330 link=1338355533/11#11 date=1338445507
                          PID on Silvia is a proven mod
                          Proven by whom? learning to use the machine will give all of the benefits of this unnecessary modification.

Comment

Originally posted by 616F666D673631030 link=1338355533/9#9 date=1338443231

Maybe i should have mentioned how the chrome falls off the PLASTIC cover around the group head after 12 months !
                            Followed by

Originally posted by 316E76606B606C656566666E626D030 link=1338355533/10#10 date=1338443756
                            For $700, you can have a Silvia or a plastic appliance. Its a simple case of part up or..... :-?
                            Just passing by and read this...

Hmmm... sounds to me like the Silvia IS a plastic appliance..... :

Comment

Originally posted by 5058404A57330 link=1338355533/13#13 date=1338452515
                              Hmmm... sounds to me like the Silvia IS a plastic appliance.....
                              Sounds to me like to Silvia has a plastic collar :

Comment

Working...
                              X