Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamper type. Please help a noob

Hi,

just wondering if someone can explain what the different types of tamper are for, convex, concave and flat.

Originally posted by FineGrind View Post
    Hi,

just wondering if someone can explain what the different types of tamper are for, convex, concave and flat.
    Convex = base domed out slightly. Concave = base slightly, ummm, concave (dished) Flat = flat base.
    Most, including myself use a flat base, a few use convex and swear by them, don't know much about concave, the idea does not appeal to me.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

Dunno about most using flat. I have both and much prefer convex to get most consistent results.

Comment

I have a convex, and I love it. I can't imagine a concave tamper being of any good for anything. :P

While I don't believe there is a right answer, I like to try to match the shape of the tamper to the shape of the showerscreen. Maybe I'm imagining it (or just using this as justification), but I think my showerscreen has a slight convex nature to it. So the tamp gives the puck a nice concave nature, which suits the shape of the showerscreen.

Again - in my justification - this gives the puck an even distribution from the showerscreen. Whether this gives any noticeable difference in the cup, that's another debate entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by garglebutt View Post
          Dunno about most using flat. I have both and much prefer convex to get most consistent results.
          Never quite understood the purpose of a convex tamper. The point of the dispersion screen is to distribute the brew water as evenly as possible across the entire 58mm diameter of the basket whereas all a convex tamper does is create a depression in the centre of the puck that puddles the brew water in the middle for a far greater possibility of centre channeling occuring

Comment

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
            Never quite understood the purpose of a convex tamper. The point of the dispersion screen is to distribute the brew water as evenly as possible across the entire 58mm diameter of the basket whereas all a convex tamper does is create a depression in the centre of the puck that puddles the brew water in the middle for a far greater possibility of centre channeling occuring
            And of course a concave will direct the flow to the edge of the basket and puck increasing the likelihood of edge channelling.

Comment

Exactly... water will always follow the path of least resistance. Therefore... a flat tamp would seem to be the only way to go

Comment

Originally posted by Vinitasse View Post
                Exactly... water will always follow the path of least resistance. Therefore... a flat tamp would seem to be the only way to go
                I see an opportunity for a poll here, not sure how to go about setting one up with this new software.

Comment

I have a concave tamper, it was a 10 dollar cheapie 50mm tamp from one of those kitchen stores...

I don't use it, as it's waaaay too small to fit in my coffee baskets..

Scary thing is, I've seen the same tamper being used on a commercial machine (and no, it was a full sized 58mm basket) Needless to say, I did not get coffee at that place.

But that's about the only concave tamper I've ever seen, I might possibly do a little bit of lathe work on it one day to make it fit a PV Lusso basket

Comment

The Pullman Tamper | Frequently Asked Questions

Comment

i've only ever used flat tampers and have never had any major drams with channeling, just keep the grind setting in check for the beans in use and everything is fine

Comment

Working...
                      X