What type of base do you prefer for a tamper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of base do you prefer for a tamper

I think the title says all that is needed, what's your preference for a tamper base, concave, convex, flat, or ripple.
    Concave
    0.00%
    Convex
    18.75%
    Flat
    79.17%
    Ripple
    2.08%

So when do I expect my free samples of each type to try out? I have a couple of flats (not because I prefer them) so you don't have to send one of those.

Comment

Thought there may have been a little more interest in this poll, guess it's early days yet.
      Flynn, I'm out of stock at the moment, why not ask Greg, I'm sure he will be happy to oblige.

Comment

I think the results of this poll will be interesting. I answered based on what I use at home, but really my experience with other types of tampers is limited.

Comment

Can't say I have ever used a concave tamper.. but to be honest, I have used both the flat and convex in home and commercial environments, and I can say with complete authority that neither makes the world of difference. I have used them side by side, one after the other, same coffee, same baskets.. no discernible difference.

Comment

I think a convex tamper should give you a greater margin of error if your elbow isn't directly above the PF

Comment

i can't quite explain why, but for me a convex just feels better... in the cup, if there's a difference then it is imperceptible to my feeble tastebuds...

Comment

Interesting, 172 views and only 13 have chosen to vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Santalum View Post
                  Interesting, 172 views and only 13 have chosen to vote.
                  Because most people have only tried one type.....I could vote...but I'd be pulling the opinion out of my proverbial

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                    Because most people have only tried one type.....I could vote...but I'd be pulling the opinion out of my proverbial
                    Same here. I've used a flat tamper on my EM3600. But I wouldn't really call that a fair comparison to the convex tamper on my Perfetta...

Comment

Hi Jon,

I started out with a convex, it was ok, I think they are more forgiving. Flat base is better to use if well fitted to the basket, and once you have good technique.

I'd be interested to hear from someone with a ripple base, I thought about machining some concentric rings on my tamper when I made it

Concave???????? anyone have one?

BB

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                        Oh dear, polls! the devil is in the detail, perhaps I should have asked what type of base does your tamper have?

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                          Oh dear, polls! the devil is in the detail, perhaps I should have asked what type of base does your tamper have?
                          Mmmm, I have one flat and one convex, but I can only vote once.

I like the flat one better, it's prettier .

BB

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            I didn't vote either, as I've only ever had a flat base one.

Comment

I have convex and flat. I must say I have not noticed any difference in the pour.

Comment

Working...
                              X