Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaggia Classic - Stuck Allen Screw

Hi Everyone,

I need to take apart my Gaggia classic but having trouble unscrewing the 2 allen bolts that hold the steam valve to the boiler. It is stuck on real good and I can't turn it, I suspect all the scale thats built up over the years have fused it to the boiler. I've tried tapping it, using muscle power but no go. I am scared I will snap the bolt if I go any harder.

Does anyone have experience with this or have any advice to help me with my dilemma?

My Gaggia Classic is around 7 years old, haven't taken it apart for more than a year almost 2. I need to take it apart to give it a good clean and replace all the o'rings (water dripping on group).

Thanks.

Originally posted by beanhunt View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I need to take apart my Gaggia classic but having trouble unscrewing the 2 allen bolts that hold the steam valve to the boiler. It is stuck on real good and I can't turn it, I suspect all the scale thats built up over the years have fused it to the boiler. I've tried tapping it, using muscle power but no go. I am scared I will snap the bolt if I go any harder.

Does anyone have experience with this or have any advice to help me with my dilemma?

My Gaggia Classic is around 7 years old, haven't taken it apart for more than a year almost 2. I need to take it apart to give it a good clean and replace all the o'rings (water dripping on group).

Thanks.
    I recently pulled down my coffee deluxe, same same. Those 2 bolts were hell to remove and yes there was some scale build up.

Are you using your bare hands? I had no success until i put a thin gardening type glove on with thin outer rubber grip on it and gave it all i had and they eventually came undone.
    Just got to be ready for the initial crack so you dont continue with your applied force and damage another part of the machine.

Comment

Had to change the steam valve on my classic a couple of years ago, same prob.

What I suggest is getting a pipe or similar to extend the effective length of the allen key arm, giving you more leverage.
      (Make sure you've got the allen key well seated and a good fit.)
      That way you can do a more controlled turn with less effort.

I don't think its scale thats the problem, its that the aluminium boiler has grabbed on to the bolts (and the brass valve).

Its not a reassuring feeling giving it that much force, but mine loosened off just fine, and no harm done to the machine or hands.

Comment

And not to bring doom and gloom but if you do get the bolts out you'll probably find the shower screen holder has "grown" into the base of the boiler and can't be removed. Got one in the garage just like that.

Keep trying and best of luck but start the plan for a new machine I'm afraid. Hurts I know - been there!

Comment

Just to present an alternative, you really don't need to separate the steam valve and boiler. This really can be a 'complete cock' (Gaggia's part description, not mine) to remove. Plus, the hard part is not getting the bolts out, it's separating the brass and aluminium that are compression fit underneath. I have tried to prize them apart before, and it's not fun.

My question would be - is it leaking? If not, the scale if there is any is providing a successful seal if the o-ring has perished anyway, and it's not like you need to separate them to get the boiler / group out of the machine and replace the o-ring.

Also, I'd be very hesitant to remove material inside the boiler - the oxidised (dark) layer that builds up is preventing corrosion. A mirror and some wet and dry do nicely for the bottom flange of the boiler when it's time to put it all back together.

Comment

Ok, finally got the screws off. In my original post, I forgot to mention that the 4 screws which bolt the boiler together were also stuck.
            I had to actually go bunnings and get myself some CLR and a small socket wrench and hex screw set, the CLR helped loosen the scale / rust and the wrench gave me enough leverage to get them off.

As Rick mentioned above, the steam valve was a cock to remove from the boiler so I didn't bother with it and will just have to live with that little tiny bit of water which leaks from the steam wand when the steam button is pressed. I just took apart the boiler and wiped off all the brown goop inside, I left the small layer of hard black scale on the boiler to inhibit corrosion of the aluminium boiler.

I also adjusted the OPV while I was at it. Getting much better shots, I can actually taste a difference between light and dark roasts, they were all tasting the same before (The fruitiness is now coming through on the lighter roasts whereas before I was only getting chocolate regardless of the roast level).

Comment

Working...
            X