X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperature and/or pressure profiling

Subject moved from the BDB thread..

Originally posted by Dennis View Post

I consider temperature and/or pressure profiling in the context of espresso preparation to mean there is a programmable or manual means of altering the temperature and pressure during the course of the extraction, ie. in a similar fashion to lever machines, where I believe the concept of temperature and pressure profiling originated from.
    Keeping temp and pressure profiling separate.. I can see how a lever m/c alows pressure profiling, but i fail to see how they facilitate any means of temperature profile changes..other than those initiated by flushing procedures. ??

The brew water loses heat to the huge group during the shot?

Comment

Correctamundo!

Comment

..The brew water loses heat to the huge group during the shot
        I understand that,... much like any other espresso m/c..
        .but where is there .." a programmable or manual means of altering the temperature.... during the course of the extraction," ..

Comment

As an example if you hold the lever at a point say half way through the pull the water remaining in the chamber will be cooler than when you started and continue to cool. Holding that position for x seconds will give you y degrees in the cup. Hold the position for x plus another 5 seconds will result in a cooler finish to the extraction than y and you have just manually manipulated the temp profile.

Comment

interesting stuff. The limitation with this though as regards the topic is that with a lever, temperature and pressure are tied to each other during the extraction, there's not really a way to separate the two as if you want to allow the brew water to cool mid-way through a pour by holding back the lever you would also introduce a pressure dip at that point.

Comment

I agree it has limitations. What I find most interesting is that apart from the introduction of some electronics, we have come full circle in the development of espresso machines.

Comment

yep, pressure wise they just are simulating the lever, with a pre, a peak and a taper off.

I find this works well with soft beans,

but I can't find the answer for normal and hard beans, pressure wise 9-10 bar still wins with the harder beans

I have even tried a 13 bar peak with harder beans without success

Comment

Working...
                X