Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee Catcha compared to OE Dosing Funnel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Catcha compared to OE Dosing Funnel.

Knowing I have been using a dosing funnel from Orphan Espresso for over 2.5 years Chris from Talk Coffee sent me a Coffee Catcha last week and asked if I would write a short review on Coffee Snobs, so here it is.

Basically the Coffee Catcha is a funnel that sits securely on top of the portafilter while the barista is dosing, and, directs the ground coffee into the basket, it has a short handle that runs along the PF handle, the idea being that the operator holds it in position with his/her thumb, I'm not really sure why the handle is necessary as the CC sits there quite securely without being held, in fact my feeling is the handle gets in the way and makes the CC a little unwieldy.

The base of the CC has a turned lip that fits over the top of the PF and basket, no part of the device is inside the basket, you can even tamp through it if you want (though I'm unsure why you would want to) it certainly does it's intended job, directing nearly all of the coffee into the basket with virtually no spillage.

It's very nicely made from either stainless or chrome plated brass, as well as being well presented in a foam lined box, even has a little instruction book, somehow I doubt instruction will be called for, it will certainly compliment any machine you choose to use it with.
    I suspect despite claims to the contrary both the CC and OE funnel will be used more by home barista's than commercially, I really cant see it being adopted in a busy cafe situation.

At the moment it's only available in 58mm, the makers say that versions to fit other machines are coming soon, they also claim it's an innovation developed by them, I bought my dosing funnel from OE in July 2010, approaching 3 years ago!

It's quite a solid piece of gear weighing 123 grams.

What was my impression of the CC compared to the OE funnel?

The Coffee Catcha fits over the PF, the OE funnel sits inside the PF, both seem to work equally well in directing coffee into the basket and dramatically reducing spilled coffee grounds.

The CC is certainly the more attractive of the two, it's heavier by far, weighing in at 123 grams, in fact I found the weight combined with the handle and highly polished finish made it a little unwieldy/slippery to handle, made of powder coated spun aluminium the OE funnel weighs just under 11 grams, it's a simple easy to use device that does what it's designed for without fuss.

Which of the two do I prefer? regardless of price, for ease of use, I'll stick with the OE funnel, I'm sure others will prefer the Coffee Catcha.

Last edited by Yelta; 18 March 2013, 07:52 PM.

Thanks so much Yelta for donating your time freely and for a balanced, unbiased review.

I don't personally use these tools, but I am certain that any who are contemplating a dosing tool will find your comments invaluable in the decision making process.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Nice review Yelta.
      That wooden portafilter block in your photos looks like a great idea, did you make it yourself?

Comment

What a great idea I thought... $75 I thought... Ouch... But great idea given it looks like you can tamp with it on. But I'll look around for the dosing funnel. Cleaning the grind area means washing the cloth every time - be nice to only have to do it once a day.

Comment

Originally posted by fg1972 View Post
          Nice review Yelta.
          That wooden portafilter block in your photos looks like a great idea, did you make it yourself?
          Yep, made it up in 2009 http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...ing-block.html mine was the original, everything after are copies.

Comment

Nice review, might give the OE a try.

Comment

Which product did that funky carpet come with?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                Which product did that funky carpet come with?
                Morning Barry, the funky carpet is in fact a funky table runner.

Comment

Thought this may have generated a little more interest, obviously not as sexy as a nice new custom tamper, but, a very useful tool for the home barista trying to eliminate the mess factor.

Comment

I'd hit it... but for the fact that my cut up yoghurt container does a similar job and I can't justify spending like that...

Nice piece of kit though

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
                      I'd hit it... but for the fact that my cut up yoghurt container does a similar job and I can't justify spending like that...

Nice piece of kit though
                      I know what you mean, I agonized before buying the OE job, seemed a lot of money for what can be done with a empty plastic container.
                      Cant say it does the job any better than the yoghurt container, must say the yoghurt container looks a little rustic though.
                      Last edited by Yelta; 27 March 2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Coffee Catcha compared to OE Dosing Funnel.

I purchased one two weeks ago. Had to chase the OE team thrice with emails before it finally shipped yesterday..... Now the long wait for the post begins!!

Probably should have bought local but I couldn't justify the extra $$ for the catcher sadly

Comment

Originally posted by Lukemc View Post
                          I purchased one two weeks ago. Had to chase the OE team thrice with emails before it finally shipped yesterday..... Now the long wait for the post begins!!

Probably should have bought local but I couldn't justify the extra $$ for the catcher sadly
                          That's surprising, the OE mob are usually very responsive.
                          Keep us informed.

Comment

Nude Espresso just off Brick Lane in London is using one of these and also selling them at around £48. I don't think I could justify that sort of money for this piece of kit. I'd like it though.
                            Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            I really cant see it being adopted in a busy cafe situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                              That's surprising, the OE mob are usually very responsive.
                              Keep us informed.
                              I finally got my OE dosing funnel after about 6 weeks. Never got a response to any emails I sent either. I doubt I'll order from them again in all honesty.

The funnel itself is great. I barely lose a coffee ground now. Best but I've made just the service and communication was a huge letdown.

Comment

Working...
                              X