Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greg Pullman's portafilter pressure gauge on the road

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rechecked my pressure and had to tweak the bleed and then make a fine adjustment to my valve. All fine again now. I can recommend this setup for testing your pour pressures. Gauge is back with Greg now if you want to partake of this great service. Cheers...

    Comment


    • Just paid Greg for the hire of the Portafilter.

      Comment


      • Just sent the money through for the gauge hire.

        Comment


        • Does anyone want the gauge or shall I send it back to Greg?

          Comment


          • Gauge is coming back to me now, feel free to post in the thread when you want it next.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by gregpullman View Post
              Gauge is coming back to me now, feel free to post in the thread when you want it next.
              I'm back with a new (for me!) coffee machine so I've sent payment to borrow the gauge again.

              Cheers!

              Comment


              • Paid, please add me to the list. I'm trying the 6 bar approach promoted by Matt Perger. I want to see whether the pressure set at the rotary pump corresponds to the pressure at the portafilter. I have a Vibiemme Replica single group. Many thanks.

                Comment


                • Paid - please add me to the list. I want to check whether my Breville Oracle pump is working as it should (I suspect it is not putting out enough pressure)

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by JohnF View Post
                    Paid - please add me to the list. I want to check whether my Breville Oracle pump is working as it should (I suspect it is not putting out enough pressure)
                    Do the Group Handles of the Oracle use the standard 3/8" BSP thread John?
                    Otherwise, the Gauge may not be able to fit directly; an intermediate thread adapter may have to be sourced before the Gauge gets to you...

                    Mal.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by JohnF View Post
                      Paid - please add me to the list. I want to check whether my Breville Oracle pump is working as it should (I suspect it is not putting out enough pressure)
                      Hi John, I don't believe the portafilter pressure gauge will fit on your Breville. And you can't remove the spouts under the Breville portafilter to directly connect the pressure gauge to the Breville.

                      I'm testing the pressure on a Vibiemme Replica. I also have a Breville BES920, so I'll check whether the portafilter pressure gauge fits this machine

                      Comment


                      • Good point - might have to buy a second group handle (I was considering having two anyway, as we use it in an office).

                        Comment


                        • Hi John I'm ready to send the pressure gauge. However, you'll need a portafilter that uses the standard 3/8" BSP thread. I don't believe you can get one for the BES920.

                          So do you want me to ship the pressure gauge to you?

                          Cheers, David

                          Comment


                          • According to this WLL vid on youtube, the gauge should read 10bar to get 9bar at the grouphead as the excess 1 bar will be diverted to the reservoir? happy to be corrected if I misunderstood. getting a porta filter gauge myself to adjust the pressure on my BFC junior.

                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=torXYzDE2y0

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by symphonie View Post
                              According to this WLL vid on youtube, the gauge should read 10bar to get 9bar at the grouphead as the excess 1 bar will be diverted to the reservoir? happy to be corrected if I misunderstood. getting a porta filter gauge myself to adjust the pressure on my BFC junior.

                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=torXYzDE2y0
                              Completely wrong, sorry. The pressure at the gauge will be equal to atmospheric pressure (0 barg) plus the pressure drop across the valve (usually adjusted to 9 bar). The pressure at the pump discharge will be the pressure at the gauge plus the pressure drop between the gauge and the pump ; which may be 1 bar, in some circumstances (which would result in 10 barg at the pump discharge).

                              Pressure can't be diverted elsewhere (but flow can).

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by MrJack View Post
                                Completely wrong, sorry. The pressure at the gauge will be equal to atmospheric pressure (0 barg) plus the pressure drop across the valve (usually adjusted to 9 bar). The pressure at the pump discharge will be the pressure at the gauge plus the pressure drop between the gauge and the pump ; which may be 1 bar, in some circumstances (which would result in 10 barg at the pump discharge).

                                Pressure can't be diverted elsewhere (but flow can).
                                Thanks, If I use a portafilter gauge should it read exactly 9 bar to get the ideal brewing pressure?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X