Greg Pullman's portafilter pressure gauge on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by symphonie View Post
    Thanks, If I use a portafilter gauge should it read exactly 9 bar to get the ideal brewing pressure?
    Just saw the video. You didn't misinterpret it (it's just wrong).

9 bar at the group is a guide only - the pressure will vary during an espresso pour, as the resistance and flowrate change.

Greg Pullman's portafilter attemps to replicate flowing conditions, so that there is some pressure drop in between the OPV and the group.

It is a better approximation of real conditions than a blind, but you are effectively calibrating the OPV/pump gauge for a single flowrate.

Comment

• but you are effectively calibrating the OPV/pump gauge for a single flowrate.
      But, isn't that the intention?
      Identify a median flowrate and then adjust the OPV/Pump Bypass Valve to achieve this at the Group?

Mal.

Comment

• Yep.

All I'm saying is that it won't maintain 9 barg at all flowrates - so there isn't really _an_ ideal brew pressure.

Comment

• Does that mean that everything revolves around how well the coffee puck in the filter basket is prepared that will determine the actual brew pressure and flow rate?

Comment

• Yep, it sure does...

And with machines that lack an OPV or a Spring Lever machine, etc it's even more important...

Mal.

Comment

• I remember the advice given to me by the guy I bought my naked portafilter for my Gaggia Classic from. "If you do not like how the shot you pulled turns out, just do it again. Don't change the dose or the grind setting. There is a high chance it is just your fault." Best advice I got when I was a newbie to the world of home made espresso.

Comment

• Is this still doing the rounds?

Comment

• Hi @Janus,

Yep as long as someone needs it it's still available. Just follow the instructions in the first post and I'll send it out to you.

Cheers,
                  Greg

Comment

• Paid up, please add me to the queue.

Comment

• Thanks Janus... if anyone else wants to use the gauge please check the instructions at the start of the thread. Janus should have it around the end of this week so I'd imagine it'll be available mid-September-ish.

Greg

Comment

• Greg Pullman's portafilter pressure gauge on the road

Whoops figured it out.
                        Last edited by Janus; 5th September 2017, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Thinking about joining the queue. I know MB21 was also considering it.

Comment

• Righto, I've paid up... add me to the queue. I've sent a message to Janus.

Matt

Comment

• As matt said I'm keen just not ready yet

Comment

• I've sent payment tonight so when Matt is finished (no hurry) i'll get the gauge when Matt is finished.

Comment

Working...
                                X