Microwave brewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microwave brewing

Can coffee be brewed in a microwave oven? What might be the result if attempted?

Give it a try and let us know what you think...

Mal.

Comment

How would you actually do this?

Comment

Originally posted by mwcalder05 View Post
        How would you actually do this?
        I have absolutely no idea mate...

Mal.

Comment

It could work; grinds in mug of water, nuke it, filter. Whether it'd be any good...

Comment

It would work fine if you had a filter. Just nuke water to 90-odd degrees, put in the grinds, brew for your desired time, and filter. Pretty much the same way as you would do with a French press.

I wonder what it would be like if you put the grinds inbefore nuking....

Comment

Boiling water (sans grinds) in a microwave can be very dangerous and should not be recommended. It is possible to superheat the water (which means to heat it to above it's boiling point without it boiling). When you then put something into it (especially something with a lot of surface area, like ground coffee) it can spontaneously boil (effectively explode) all over you.

So put the grinds in first!

Comment

Originally posted by MrJack View Post
                Boiling water (sans grinds) in a microwave can be very dangerous and should not be recommended. It is possible to superheat the water (which means to heat it to above it's boiling point without it boiling). When you then put something into it (especially something with a lot of surface area, like ground coffee) it can spontaneously boil (effectively explode) all over you.
                That's very interesting. How does it happen, surely the pressure in the microwave is the same outside?

Comment

Mythbusters explain it. Superheating of water (Mythbusters) - YouTube yep its a fact, I've seen it happen, violent reaction.

Comment

Boiling water (sans grinds) in a microwave can be very dangerous and should not be recommended. It is possible to superheat the water (which means to heat it to above it's boiling point without it boiling). When you then put something into it (especially something with a lot of surface area, like ground coffee) it can spontaneously boil (effectively explode) all over you. l
                    Heating the water in the microwave is fine, just don't overheat it. You might consider nuking it for 45 seconds to a minute depending on cup size and the water temp at the start.
                    I would only use the microwave oven to heat the water. Don't put metal or plastic coffee maker components in the oven. If I do a cold drip brew I will store it in the fridge and nuke a cupful for 1 minute.

Comment

Dead right. I had a mate got 3rd degree burns up his arm when he tried to put a spoonful of instant into a nuked cup of water. I'd been standing right next to him when the MW finished and had just moved back to the table and was looking at him when it happened - the contents in the cup literally geysered up over his arm.

Comment

Serve him right for drinking instant.

Barry

Comment

Lawl...

tenchars

Comment

Thanks for the warnings about super-heating. Best left alone I'm guessing.

Comment

Working...
                            X