Vst basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vst basket

I am thinking of taking and learning my brewing knowledge to the next level. So far i never take a great care of sophisticated equipment other than what i have that comes with the machine. I ve been using a 18 gram wega basket (comes from the wega portafilter) i also have a 22 gram basket that came with the giotto i bought second hand.

And i heard about this vst basket, do they really produce better coffee taste? Which basket should i get for starter? They come in 7 15 18 20 and 22, should i get 18 and 22 to compare to what i have now? Or should i get the 15 and 20?

any opinion regarding this is absolutly welcome

thanks

I'd debate whether they will "take your learning to the next level". What they will do is provide you with a much smaller bullseye to shoot at as they insist on pretty specific technique.

As always, the biggest influences on what's in the cup will be your beans, your grinder and your technique.

Comment

It really depends on how you like your coffee.

I have a 15 and 22.

What I found, working on the 30ml in 30secs, was that although the shot came out perfectly with the 22, the shot really was too strong for my taste.

The 15 is perfect for me. The BF likes stronger coffee so the 22 actually works for him.

Comment

With VST's the holes are far more accurately done. Each basket comes with a serial number that means the basket has been individually checked, so, for example, if you got your basket from Pullman (thingscoffee.com.au - site sponsor) you can give him the serial number and get a tamper made to specifically fit that basket.

On the usage side, VST's let you grind finer than a normal basket and so get a higher extraction rate in the cup. They are a bit intolerant of overdosing, something you will see is very common on the site with lots of people telling how they dose 20g in a 15g basket, or even 22g. I've seen a video where the guy claims his coffee is great because he doses at 21g in a SB double basket.

With a VST the dose is pretty specific, usually very slightly over the rated size. e.g. maybe 15.5g in a 15g basket. In my experience, the coffee from a VST is richer in flavour that I can get from the SB baskets because I grind at (say) 13 on my SB EM0480 with a given bean for the SB basket and grind at (say)10 or even 9 for the same bean with the VST.

Having said that, (& I DO recommend the VST's) I think you'd learn more faster getting a naked PF for your machine. Nakeds teach you about how you are dosing/tamping visually - you can SEE when you haven't got it right.

And the best of both worlds is the VST/Naked combo.

Comment

Originally posted by shapeshifter View Post

What I found, working on the 30ml in 30secs, was that although the shot came out perfectly with the 22, the shot really was too strong for my taste.
          Are you getting 30ml in 30s out of the 22? That's... very very very very ristretto.

Comment

Originally posted by Hildy View Post
            Are you getting 30ml in 30s out of the 22? That's... very very very very ristretto.
            If it doesn't bruise your eyelids when they snap open on the 1st mouthful it ain't really coffee...

Comment

For me 30 odd mls, from 20 or so grams, in 30 to 40 seconds, is normal and not very anything except delicious .....

For those that like to qualify and quantify; it would be a normal ristretto.
              Last edited by chokkidog; 4 May 2014, 07:53 PM.

Comment

LOL Hildy, that's how he likes his coffee, and often a double shot, I was drinking it for a while and couldn't figure out why I didn't like it, very blonde moment there Got kindly sent a 15g and presto, coffee is fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                  For me 30 odd mls, from 20 or so grams, in 30 to 40 seconds, is normal and not very anything except delicious .....

For those that like to qualify and quantify; it would be a normal ristretto.
                  I usually agree; but with the traditional extraction ratios, from a nominal 21g basket a normale would be 90ml, a ristretto 60ml.

Comment

Thanks for all kind replies, yes i am getting the naked portafilter as well, should i get the 18 too for comparison?

Comment

I usually agree; but with the traditional extraction ratios, from a nominal 21g basket a normale would be 90ml, a ristretto 60ml.
                      According to what? 60 ml is pretty much a double espresso. I don't like watery coffee. ;-) But...each to their own! :-D

Originally posted by ahhhespressso View Post
                      Thanks for all kind replies, yes i am getting the naked portafilter as well, should i get the 18 too for comparison?
                      As well as the what? And that would be entirely up to you. You should also price, for comparison, the Precision available from some sponsors. e.g.:

Precision filter basket 58mm- Espresso parts | Talk Coffee
                      Last edited by chokkidog; 5 May 2014, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ahhhespressso View Post
                        I've got the 15g and the 22g. The 22g has so far been used for 1 double for me and since gets used for 2 coffee pours. Shapeshifters bf might like the coffee from a properly dosed 22. I'll get a single eventually - currently I am exploring the other bean possibilities and singles are a harder task than doubles, so once I get my head around what different roasts can do in a cup, I figure I'll be ready to tackle the 7g single VST.

I haven't tried the 18g one but the 15g is easily strong enough for me and I like strong macchiatos.

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
                          ... so once I get my head around what different roasts can do in a cup, I figure I'll be ready to tackle the 7g single VST.
                          You will likely know this already, but if you're going to get a VST single you'll need to get a specific (smaller) tamp to match.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                            According to what? 60 ml is pretty much a double espresso. I don't like watery coffee. ;-) But...each to their own! :-D

As well as the what? And that would be entirely up to you. You should also price, for comparison, the Precision available from some sponsors. e.g.:

Precision filter basket 58mm- Espresso parts | Talk Coffee
                            As comparison to what i have now as i mentioned on my first post that i have 18g and 22g basket that came with the machine. Also as comparison to the 15 gram as i ordered them already from bombora. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kwantfm View Post
                              You will likely know this already, but if you're going to get a VST single you'll need to get a specific (smaller) tamp to match.
                              Yep... although to begin with I will probably try TampIt's trick with the top of a Lipton's Iced Tea bottle. (I think he used a Powerade one but I don't drink that at all )

Comment

Working...
                              X