Remnant coffee on shower screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remnant coffee on shower screen

Hi. I was wondering if I'm filling my basket too high because I always have lots of coffee stuck to the shower head after pulling a shot. Is this normal? I have an expobar office. It is easy to remove when the machine cools down however more difficult when still warm and you want to brew another shot! Any tips would be appreciated!

Hi

I always have a bit of coffee left on the screen on my machines. If I am pulling another shot i don't worry about it as its very little. If it was a fair bit then all you need to do is to put in the PF and pull the handle for a few seconds, wobble the PF a bit to loosen stuff under the seal. Then remove, ditch any water and coffee in the basket, and load your next shot.

After the machine has cooled I always use a brush to clean the underside of the scree and run my finger or a cotton bud around the outside of the screen and where the seal goes.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga1788 View Post
      Hi. I was wondering if I'm filling my basket too high because I always have lots of coffee stuck to the shower head after pulling a shot. Is this normal?..........Any tips would be appreciated!
      No not normal for a properly dosed, ground and tamped puck.

Contrary to your proposition, on the limited information supplied, I would surmise that you are UNDER dosing.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I assume you are removing the PF immediately after pulling the shot. I usually only get that when I get distracted by something and forget to knock out the puck & clean up immediately afterwards.

GrahamK

Comment

Define lots. As a noob I thought that a correctly dosed and tamped puck was supposed to expand when the water hit it enough to just touch the shower screen. Is this not right? That would leave a little coffee on the shower screen, but not lots. I often flush the machine a little to wash these grounds off before inserting the portafilter for the next shot.

This comment may actually be a comment on my espresso machine. I can't overdose at all without the coffee hitting the shower screen as soon as the portafilter is inserted. With an 18gm VST basket I find 17½gms (weighed before and after grinding) to be about the limit in my machine. So if I want a higher dose I need a bigger basket.

Is my understanding incorrect, or is this machine-dependent?

Comment

surely when the solenoid vents the pressurised water from the top of the puck at the end of the shot the water sucking back through the shower screen and out the solenoid exhaust would carry some grinds with it that stick to the screen? or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by gunda View Post
              a correctly dosed and tamped puck was supposed to expand when the water hit it enough to just touch the shower screen. Is this not right?
              No, its not right. One of the many myths associated with espresso. Aaron is right - do a search for clear PF videos to see if you agree.

Comment

Have not heard anyone mention the portafilter jiggle for a long time The Pullman Tamper | Imat / Quaha Tips | Backflushing I backflush with chemical once a week and perform a short jiggle the with blind basket in place after each session, keeps everything in the coffee path spotless.

PS, its a jiggle not a twerk.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                  surely when the solenoid vents the pressurised water from the top of the puck at the end of the shot the water sucking back through the shower screen and out the solenoid exhaust would carry some grinds with it that stick to the screen? or am I missing something?
                  Originally posted by Pete39 View Post
                  No, its not right. One of the many myths associated with espresso. Aaron is right - do a search for clear PF videos to see if you agree.
                  Now that you mention it, I have seen one of those videos. So what Aaron is saying is I was right - a small amount of the grinds on the shower screen after the shot is normal, but my reasoning as to why they're there was wrong. But "lots" as in the OP may indicate something else.

Hang on ... then what is all this talk that I've read of a shower screen imprint on the puck being a good sign? Have I misunderstood this too?

Comment

Originally posted by gunda View Post

Hang on ... then what is all this talk that I've read of a shower screen imprint on the puck being a good sign? Have I misunderstood this too?
                    I believe you have, I most certainly don't want the screen contacting the puck, the 5 cent piece test has had a few mentions in the past few days and here it is again, it's a quick and easy test that will help to establish the correct dosing level for your machine.

Comment

I meant an imprint on the puck after the shot.

I understand that you want a small gap - roughly the height of a 5 cent piece - between the top of the puck and the shower screen prior to pulling the shot.

But I've seen some references to an imprint on the puck after the shot, and this is one of those things that gave me the impression about the puck expanding during the shot. I mean, if the puck passes the 5 cent test before the shot, how do you get a slight imprint after the shot if it doesn't expand? Is a slight post-shot imprint a good or bad thing?

Comment

You will find that a puck that indicates a nice "dry" post shot imprint of the shower, will leave the cleanest shower (as long as bean freshness, grind and tamp were also optimum).

I say again......going only on what was stated at first by the tiopic author, who has not been back with any further explanations, I believe his "problem" is the result of UNDER dosing (and I could add, grind too fine, coffee not fresh). All of these will leave a "dirty" shower. Try it and see !

Comment

Thanks, but I'm still puzzling over my unanswered question: "if the puck [correctly] passes the 5 cent test before the shot, how do you get a slight imprint after the shot if it doesn't expand?" Is this imprint caused by pressure rather than contact?

Comment

The puck expands because during brewing (erogation) all the voids between the coffee grinds become filled with water.

Contact.

Hope that helps.

Comment

There are some conflicting views being expressed here by people with higher post counts than me.

Comment

Working...
                              X