Porta filter funnel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porta filter funnel

Does any one sell the Orphan espresso funnel (or similar) here in OZ? I have seen a pic of one being used on a Compak K3 touch and the spill was nil, just what I'm looking for

Originally posted by tonym1 View Post
    Does any one sell the Orphan espresso funnel (or similar) here in OZ? I have seen a pic of one being used on a Compak K3 touch and the spill was nil, just what I'm looking for
    Its a good device, have been using one for a couple of years.

As far as I know its not available in OZ, Ophan espresso in the US sell them, Talk Coffee Talk Coffee | Professional Coffee Machines in Melbourne had a similar device on special a couple of weeks back, could be worth contacting Chris

Comment

Very nice gadget for those who are attracted to shiny things, but......
      massively overthought, over engineered, and overpriced, for the job !
      get yourself a clear plastic disposable drink cup from Coles and a pair of scissors , and make yourself a practically invisible funnel, customised to suit your PF/ grinder combo..... For about $0.02 !
      ....or at least try it whilst you wait on delivery of the expensive shiny version !

Comment

On the other hand, others prefer to pay a little for great design rather than have a piece of of crappy plastic on their bench....
        Last edited by TC; 17 November 2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Chris do you have a funnel available for a 58mm porta filter?

Comment

Available on backorder for delivery this week Tony Coffee Catcha | Talk Coffee

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
              On the other hand, others prefer to pay a little for great design rather than have a piece of of crappy plastic on their bench....
              Simplicity and the clever adaption of existing everyday items to function effectively for new purposes is at the heart of a "great design"
              i am impressed at how quickly you manage to shoot down these simple solutions that threaten your own offerings.
              And I am a little disappointed that you consider $75 to be only "a little" ....for a small piece of shiny aluminium .!
              I guess that defines your sense of relative values .

Comment

No mate. Some people choose plastic. Others- (for example the the OP of the thread) are looking for something a little better than a cut down milk carton. I'm sorry if presenting alternatives makes you uneasy. The OE one also works- and it's cheap.

Seems to me you are yet to eyeball the Catcha. It's not aluminium.

Horses for courses.
                Last edited by TC; 17 November 2014, 02:19 PM. Reason: extra info

Comment

Originally posted by blend52 View Post
                  Simplicity and the clever adaption of existing everyday items to function effectively for new purposes is at the heart of a "great design"
                  i am impressed at how quickly you manage to shoot down these simple solutions that threaten your own offerings.
                  And I am a little disappointed that you consider $75 to be only "a little" ....for a small piece of shiny aluminium .!
                  I guess that defines your sense of relative values .
                  C'mon b52.... you're pretty quick off the mark to denigrate a straightforward answer to a question.

...... and "the heart of great design" is centred on "everyday items"??? Hardly.

"Great design" is an end to itself; whether it's a better fork to eat with, a more user friendly EFTPOS device, a one off piece of stunning furniture or a bridge spanning a river.

We CS's are all (mostly) accustomed to paying well over a $100 for a shiny lump of stainless in the shape of a well designed tamper,

realising the value of something that will last a lifetime....... $75 for a well designed and crafted dosing funnel that will also last a lifetime??? No problem; if it's your thing.

No it's not 'cheap', but it's not made in China either......

( well what do you know..... apparently it is!!, I stand corrected. )
                  Last edited by chokkidog; 18 November 2014, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                    Horses for courses.
                    Some make it with a Slayer - some make it in an old sock

Not right or wrong – just different!

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                      ..... and "the heart of great design" is centred on "everyday items"??? Hardly...
                      i don't mind being quoted, but please don't paraphrase to distort the original statement

We CS's are all (mostly) accustomed to paying well over a $100 for a shiny lump of stainless in the shape of a well designed tamper,

realising the value of something that will last a lifetime....... $75 for a well designed and crafted dosing funnel that will also last a lifetime??? No problem; if it's your thing.

i am happy to pay for things that are necessary and not easily sourced or replicated, but I hate to see someone not being made aware of a simple low cost option to a poor value gadget.
                      ....PS...I believe my plastic drink cup was made in NT !

and TC,...what do you have against plastic, it's a valuable modern engineering material...they even use it to make commercial aircraft these days !
                      Also, how many different heights of the Catcha are available ?... Or is this is a "one size fits all" situation !

Comment

Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
                        some make it in an old sock
                        Washed or unwashed?

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus View Post
                          Washed or unwashed?
                          I'm thinking Mr Bean style - take said sock off, beans in, bash them with the heel of your shoe, into the cup, water from the thermos, let it steep … gritty sock back on!

Comment

Porta filter funnel

Originally posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
                            Mr Bean style!
                            Ha! No pun intended?

Comment

I have a Coffee Catcha.
                              The box clearly stated "Made in China".

But I don't think this invalidates your point.
                              Very well made. Heavy, strong and works well.

I use for events and it has had a very rough life. Easily seen 200kg. Then at the end of the day it is thrown in a box with all the pitchers and group handles then chucked into the back of the van.
                              The rubber on the handle is starting to come off but I could just get some heat shrink to fix. I doubt this would happen with home use.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X