Naked portafilter tripple basket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naked portafilter tripple basket?

I saw it mentioned on Talk Coffee that the naked portafilter comes "standard with deep triple basket". Is that usually the case for naked portafilters?

The reason I'm asking is that a naked pf, from what I understand, is mainly used for training and to check your grind, tamping etc, so wouldn't you want it to be as similar as possible to what you normally use, which in most cases is a double basket? Why the triple basket?

Thanks

I normally use a triple basket...

I always use my naked PF...

My triple basket doesn't fit into my standard portafilter...

I won't speculate as to Talk Coffee's reasons for selling them together, but consider that someone troubleshooting a double basket already owns one.
    Last edited by MrJack; 15 April 2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snobben View Post
      I saw it mentioned on Talk Coffee that the naked portafilter comes "standard with deep triple basket". Is that usually the case for naked portafilters?
      Yes!

What you do with yours is entirely up to you. If you can get a picnic basket to fit....

Comment

Yeah, well I do like strong coffee, so I'll probably be happy to use it all the time.

I was just surprised that a tool that, from the info I mostly see about them, seems to be mainly for diagnosing, training etc, is different from your usual tool. It seems a bit like saying "we've got this special hammer here that allows you to see exactly how you hit the nail, so you can fine tune and optimise your hammering, but it's also (for no apparent reason) got a head that is 1.5 times as large as the head on the hammer you normally use...". Not ideal, if you ask me.

Just an observation

Comment

It's a great idea because triples don't fit in most baskets, and most people already have double baskets. It makes sense to me to give the buyer something they don't already have, and couldn't use without the naked PF.

I got one with mine. I don't use it much, but have played around with it.

You can still use the double basket.

Comment

Originally posted by gibberblot View Post
            You can still use the double basket.
            Oh ok, so if I understand you correctly, the naked pf comes with a triple basket but you can still put a double (or even single, I guess) basket into it. If that's the case, that's great. I thought your only option was to use the triple basket it comes with. Hence my question 'Why a different basket to what's considered more normal / common?'.

Cheers

Comment

Ah I see. Yes, you understand correctly: the naked PF still fits standard baskets

Comment

Welcome to CS Snobben,

The hammer analogy does't work unless you include children's toy hammers. ;-)

Naked p/f's are more about coming out of the dark and into the light; their use goes way beyond 'diagnostics and training'.

'Normal/common' ...... depends, on quite a lot. In my experience it's less common to use a single.... rare even.

Comment

I originally converted my PF into a naked to check my pours but now use one all the time as I find it cleaner and easier. No drips, no coffee residues. I use my normal pf with a blind for easy backflushing without having to swap baskets.

If you get one if the cafelat portafilters (I love it) you can have both in one.

On another note, my synesso double is is about the same capacity as a generic triple.

Cheers

Comment

I'm with artman: I originally bought a naked to check my extraction but found it was cleaner - no need to remove the basket to wash out the PF. It also looks sexier

ironically triple baskets often don't fit in stock PFs, hence their use in naked PFs. However unless you're in the habit of drinking triple ristrettos it would be handy to split them, which is where the versatility of the Cafelat PF comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
                      Welcome to CS Snobben
                      Thank you

Naked p/f's use goes way beyond 'diagnostics and training'
                      Yeah, true, and I agree it looks nicer. I just meant most of the times I come across someone talking about them, it's in the context of checking your tamping etc. That's what pretty much every youtube video on naked pf's say.

'Normal/common' ...... depends, on quite a lot. In my experience it's less common to use a single.... rare even.
                      Yeah, I was referring that double baskets seem to be the most common. Or rather, triple baskets NOT being the most normal/common.

Comment

Thanks guys, I think the key was my misunderstanding of what baskets fit into a naked; I didn't realise that I can still use a double basket in it.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi there. As I've got an excess PF, would it work if I just machined the base off one of them? Done by a friend who knows what they are doing with said machine? Or is there something fundamental I'm missing here?

Comment

Machining the bottom out will give you a perfectly usable Naked PF. You will see the brass where the material was removed if you look under it but I have never noticed chrome peeling at the interface after many years of use.

My first naked conversion I did with a hole saw in a drill press.

If you have access to a lathe it will be easier and neater. It will be done in a few minutes.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Pukako View Post
                              Hi there. As I've got an excess PF, would it work if I just machined the base off one of them? Done by a friend who knows what they are doing with said machine? Or is there something fundamental I'm missing here?
                              Hi Pukako

You are only missing something (perhaps an eye) if you try to use a hole saw with a stainless steel p/f (i.e. most new ones since EU decided to avoid brass). Very dangerous as the hole saw may shatter. A lathe is fine for either stainless or brass.

Using an existing p/f and converting it is probably a safer / better way to go unless the naked is actually made for that machine - any height difference between the lugs and the top of the p/f can give problems sealing the shot / wearing the collar (depending whether it is looser or tighter). I have seen a few train wrecks caused by that mismatch.

Onto the "nakeds are a diagnostic tool only" thing: I suspect most "hard core CSrs" like myself have not used a standard p/f for years. Better crema and superior, cleaner tasting shot is a given with a naked. It also helps to hone your technique. Even most of the better WA cafes I know use a naked for most shots.

TampIt

Comment

Working...
                              X