Any good electrician coffee snobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good electrician coffee snobs?

Hi, I hope you're a good electrician if you're reading this.

My dear old Breville Ikon BES400 espresso machine has been out of action for some time, and it's apparently due to the 1.5uf 280v capacitor on it's PCB.

An electrician coffeesnob previously posted that he had found the solution to the same problem I have had with two consecutive machines, and said he replaced this faulty capacitor and was all good.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...-assembly.html

But I don't know where I will be able to find one quickly.

I've found one that looks the same on eBay but it is 1.0uf 280v - and so my question is, do you think I can get a 1.5uf from somewhere, or do you think that the 1.0uf capacitor will do the job just the same?

Thanks in advance for lending your electrical knowledge to help out a fellow coffee addict.

Glen

I had a look at my Jaycar catalogue for you but 280volts is right out there, almost nothing they sell goes that high so you sure that spec is right? Maybe give them/Altronics/RS components a call?

Comment

It's probably a Polyester Film capacitor, smoothing and buffering the output of a half-wave rectifier...

So long as you keep the capacitance value the same, a higher voltage one will be fine. Something like this...
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capacitor.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	741372

Mal.

Comment

I have them in stock, fairly sure they're the same as the one I'm thinking of. I'll check tomorrow, I can post one out to you if you like.
        Will send you a PM once I've got more details.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
          It's probably a Polyester Film capacitor, smoothing and buffering the output of a half-wave rectifier...

So long as you keep the capacitance value the same, a higher voltage one will be fine. Something like this...
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]11216[/ATTACH]

Mal.
          Sounds good!
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by noidle22 View Post
            I have them in stock, fairly sure they're the same as the one I'm thinking of. I'll check tomorrow, I can post one out to you if you like.
            Will send you a PM once I've got more details.
            That's great!
            Yes please let me know.

Comment

If it's a capacitive power supply I would not advise substituting a 1uF instead of the correct and original 1.5uF, as it may have flow on effects downstream and potentially cause damage to other components.

As Dimal said, higher voltage is fine. But it also might be an X or Y rated cap which must also be replaced with the same type to maintain the safety properties they are in there to provide.

Comment

Originally posted by nicovington View Post
                If it's a capacitive power supply I would not advise substituting a 1uF instead of the correct and original 1.5uF, as it may have flow on effects downstream and potentially cause damage to other components.

As Dimal said, higher voltage is fine. But it also might be an X or Y rated cap which must also be replaced with the same type to maintain the safety properties they are in there to provide.
                I tend to agree the 280V is a bit of a guide as X2 are typically rated in that voltage range

An EPCOS 1,5uf can be sourced from Element 14 and is showing as ex stock EPCOS B32924C3155M000 Capacitor X2 1.5uF 305VAC 22.5mm

Comment

Sorry, the ones I have are 0.82uF, used in the 800ES machine.

I'll check with Breville to see if a new power board is available as it's showing on the spares listing. Should have some news next week.

Comment

here is a picture of it, you can read everything on the side of it.
                    Thanks for your replies. I'd really like to have a replacement installed before Friday next week, so I know if I should box it up and take it with me or not.
                    I'll try get something express posted to me on Monday, hopefully by then I'll have found a decent replacement.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nicovington View Post
                      it also might be an X or Y rated cap which must also be replaced with the same type to maintain the safety properties they are in there to provide.
                      Yes, I considered this too but with the symptoms explained in the link of the OP, didn't sound like an X/Y capacitor. If there is any doubt, instead of using a PET component, a PP (polypropylene) component should be used instead...

(Edit)
                      In fact, the photo you provided is exactly that, so scratch the PET capacitor and use a PP instead...

Mal.

Comment

Just make sure you use an X2 rated and approved capacitor as this will be sitting across the power line.
                        First 2 pages of this link explains http://www.kemet.com/Lists/Filestore...aRFIandSMD.pdf
                        "X capacitors are across the line. If they short-circuit, the risk is fire" "Because of the risks, X and Y capacitors are safety agency tested"

Comment

To be honest....

If that capacitor is connected as per the usual X capacitor, I doubt that the symptoms would be as described. It is indeed an 'X' type capacitor but whether it is connected as such, who knows, unless somebody has experience with this particular board and knows the circuit. I think it would be best all round if the OP got somebody with the requisite knowledge and experience to check it out for them...

Mal.

Comment

Can you provide a more overall photo of the board. I think it might be a capacitive supply based on the nearby diodes and fairly large resistor. 1.5uF would be in the ballpark too, I have a number of 1uF X2 caps from when I designed such a supply for my thesis project.

The symptoms should match too, if that capacitor has a partial fault, it may be sagging under the load as these types of supplies are extremely limited in the current they can provide.

Comment

Agree with you "nicovington"...

That's what it seems like to me too...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                              X