Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espresso coffee for camping

Howdy experts,

I'm interested in improving my holiday camping experience by adding high quality coffee. Zzzzzing! The wife and I enjoy espresso at home, so who's got a good machine/method for out-of-home-and-away-from-cafe coffee making?

It'd need to be manual (or battery powered, no 240v power). Also not cost prohibitive...

What do you reckon?

If it needs to be espresso- or thereabouts, a Handpresso may suit.

They're about $180 I think. Hot water, ese pod (ergh) or your own fresh grind and you're in business. They are robust and travel well.

We can source them.

Comment

Yep, we'd probably take preground beans (not great I know). Or maybe could take some pods I guess although I have no investment in this technology!
      What are the results like with the handpresso ? Rate-able?

Comment

Areopress - not a true espresso but the best camping coffee by far and $50!
        bought one for camping and wore 3 out using at home before i bought a machine better results than a lot of low end machines. Oh and they make great Frisbees too��

Comment

Moka Pot - that's what I use.

Comment

Originally posted by dicky_bow_tie View Post
            Areopress - Oh and they make great Frisbees too
            Personally I would avoid using an Aeropress as a frisbee too dangerous and you're liable to break it....

Comment

Hi,
              If weight isn't a factor we take the OTTO (little guy) - makes great coffee, especially if you like a latte. HOWEVER they are heavy to travel with
              Cheers
              Dave

Comment

I reckon I saw something some years ago where the operator screws down a cap on what looks a bit like a portafiller/handle type device. Any clues to its identify?

Comment

If cost is no option, then a portaspresso is awesome.
                  Sadly Ross takes a while and has a waiting list.
                  We managed to score a 2nd hand HC and a mini grinder for a7 week caravan trip, from a fellow snob. They worked brilliantly, and I now use them at work!

Comment

https://youtu.be/wsEAZ9ekvCw?t=11

Comment

Originally posted by Stickleback View Post
                      If cost is no option, then a portaspresso is awesome.
                      The OP did say 'Also not cost prohibitive.....'. So I would think the portaspresso and Otto (see above) are probably creeping into that territory (as would a Bacchi, which would also do a great job).

Aeropress or Moka Pot for me given the constraints.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
                        That's brilliant.

Mustn't... Be..... Interested....

Comment

Originally posted by shortblackman View Post
                          That's brilliant.

Mustn't... Be..... Interested....
                          They haven't done that well from what I can gather. Perhaps the RRP of $450 might have had something to do with that.

It gets a 3/10 on usability from me.

Comment

They haven't done that well from what I can gather. Perhaps the RRP of $450 might have had something to do with that.
                            Our absolutely rubbish exchange rate and high freight costs due mainly to weight of the hefty item have placed this item in the "impossible to justify the cost" category for me.

Comment

It gets a 3/10 on usability from me.
                              That's a shame as its a good idea. Hopefully they can tweak a few things to make it more attractive.

Comment

Working...
                              X