No announcement yet.

Anyone got/tried Puqpress auto tamper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got/tried Puqpress auto tamper?

Just wondering if anyone has tried this electric auto tamper. I haven't found any reviews of it. I could see it being worthwhile for a cafe with not very skilled staff. Not cheap at around A$17-1800! but for the ultimate home setup....

Commercial link removed as per Site Posting Policy puqpress

Kinda the ultimate lazy buggers 'delete any skill involved in the process' tool, but interesting.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 22nd April 2017, 07:14 PM. Reason: Commercial link(s) removed

Yep. Looks awesome. Seems like pretty courageous pricing for what it is though

Comment

It does seem as if it may be useful as suggested for a cafe with inexperienced staff - top end for a home setup.

Does anyone know what the coffee machine next to the puqpress is (the one used by the barista with the tatooed hand)?

Comment

Detective work - La Marzocco Linea PB

Comment

10 times the price of this which also looks worth a try (I've seen a few variations of this in my googling):

Commercial link removed as per Site Posting Policy eazytamp
          Last edited by Javaphile; 22nd April 2017, 07:16 PM. Reason: Commercial link(s) removed

Comment

I have seen the workflow up close. The role of the human in the workflow is to act as a conveyor belt from pre-dialled in grinder to puqpress to pre-set volumetric machine to knock bin a few hundred or few thousand times a day. The role of the barista is getting a little bit smaller all the time...

Comment

Does rather grate that the Puqpress is $1200 odd everywhere else I've seen it other than Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Melbroaster View Post
                I have seen the workflow up close. The role of the human in the workflow is to act as a conveyor belt from pre-dialled in grinder to puqpress to pre-set volumetric machine to knock bin a few hundred or few thousand times a day. The role of the barista is getting a little bit smaller all the time...
                I think there will always be people that want coffee made by hand (or as manual as can be) by people that call themselves barista's, but for high turnover, low skill cafes you couldn't blame them. Made by minimum wage staff, as automated as they can get away with (short of turning to a full auto machine).

There aren't many take away food/drink stuffs that have as much theatrics/BS/skill (depending on your point of view) as coffee still has.

Comment

I've seen it in use in a couple of cafes I frequent; interestingly neither could be remotely described as low skill or commodity driven.

I guess controlling one variable is seen as a positive when consistently high quality is the priority rather than theatrics or stroking the operator's ego... [emoji848]

Comment

Originally posted by wfdTamar View Post
                    Detective work - La Marzocco Linea PB
                    Thanks wfdTamar, the one I meant is shown below, not sure if it is a photoshop, some sort of underbench machine or just a grouphead placed on a table with driptray screen?

Click image for larger version

Name:	home-video-bg_800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	745285

Comment

$1600 for a tamper eh, pardon my hilarity.
                      Bet they probably even sell a few.

Comment

I thought that was too easy. I vaguely remember seeing that somewhere. It's plugged in under the counter.

Found it - god forbid I put an actual link for fear of actually providing information. (stupid restrictive site policy)

Modbar

Comment

It wouldn't put me off if I came across a cafe that used one of these. If they have someone who knows what they are doing monitoring the quality of what is coming out and adjusting the grind etc, I can see how it would work in some places......certainly a few places I've tried in London would have been better off with 1 decent barista, 1 of these and their other eager but marginally incompetent beavers.

Comment

Originally posted by wfdTamar View Post
                            I thought that was too easy. I vaguely remember seeing that somewhere. It's plugged in under the counter.

Found it - god forbid I put an actual link for fear of actually providing information. (stupid restrictive site policy)

Modbar
                            Nothing stupid about it (site policy) most understand the reason for the few simple rules of this forum, guess for a few the penny simply wont drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
                              It wouldn't put me off if I came across a cafe that used one of these.
                              Wouldn't put me off! however would help me understand why we pay close to $5 for a cafe brew nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                              X