tamper advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tamper advice

Hi folks, I'm just after a bit of advice. Sorry if this has been covered before.

I want to get a better-than-stock basket for my VBM domobar jr, thinking of going with VST. I need a matching tamper (currently using the one from my old EM6910, which is honestly useless), and would like to go with a Pullman.

Question is - should I get a custom matched Pullman big step, which, from what I can tell, will mean the tamper won't work with any other basket, or is the standard pullman barista tamper good enough?

I ask this because I don't want to end up with an expensive tamper I can't use if I happen to dislike the VST (I know they can be tricky and a bit love/hate).

Thanks in advance.
    Will

Well, I have a VBM Domobar Jr and I use a VST filter. I also have a standard Pullman tamper with a jarrah handle. These I have been using for about five years and I have had no problems whatsoever. The Pullman fits perfectly and feels great in the hand.

I hope this helps.

Comment

The other option is the Barista Hustle tamper. It's around $70 and will work beautifully with VST baskets.

Comment

A standard size tamper will be fine, I've been using a standard 58 mm tamper for many years, not a perfect fit, but it really doesn't need to be, as long as its close you will be fine.

Some perfectionists go down the matched tamper/basket road, I have never seen any great benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
          A standard size tamper will be fine, I've been using a standard 58 mm tamper for many years, not a perfect fit, but it really doesn't need to be, as long as its close you will be fine.

Some perfectionists go down the matched tamper/basket road, I have never seen any great benefit.

Thank you, I was kinda hoping that would be the case. I've rung the bloke from Pullman and he was doing the hard sell on the matched Pullman basket and "big-step" tamper. If I go that route, I'm stuck with a $300 tamper that can only be used with 1 basket.

Anyone out there have any comment on the matched pair basket/tamper scenario? Yelta, have you tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
            The other option is the Barista Hustle tamper. It's around $70 and will work beautifully with VST baskets.
            That actually looks quite nice. Have you used it?

Been to the website, but it doesn't say what the handle is made of; have you got any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by StratosOZ View Post
              Thank you, I was kinda hoping that would be the case. I've rung the bloke from Pullman and he was doing the hard sell on the matched Pullman basket and "big-step" tamper. If I go that route, I'm stuck with a $300 tamper that can only be used with 1 basket.

Anyone out there have any comment on the matched pair basket/tamper scenario? Yelta, have you tried it?
              No! as I said in my post, I perceive no benefit, other than perhaps psychological.

Comment

That actually looks quite nice. Have you used it?

Been to the website, but it doesn't say what the handle is made of; have you got any idea?
                i have one and its made from hard plastic.

i also use it with my 22g vst basket and fits perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dozerz View Post
                  i have one and its made from hard plastic.

i also use it with my 22g vst basket and fits perfectly fine.
                  can I ask why you chose it (rather than any other make of tamper), and whether you're happy with it in all aspects (i.e. build quality, way it feels in the hand/balance, etc)?

Comment

can I ask why you chose it (rather than any other make of tamper), and whether you're happy with it in all aspects (i.e. build quality, way it feels in the hand/balance, etc)?
                    i didnt actually choose it, came with some other stuff i bought from another snob as i needed a new tamper and this one was available with the other stuff. i did know that it wasnt particularly heavy which is what i liked. i wasnt expecting much being a kind of lower end but has turned out remarkably well and does have some style to it. i do like the build quality, the plastic is hard but not too heavy and the base is replaceable but i havent had to do that yet. id recommend it definitely for vst and other baskets, i find the shape and weight gives better control and feel.

Comment

I posted this many moons ago, still holds true.

"I get a little annoyed with self proclaimed experts and retailers trying to tout their products telling me (and anyone else gullible enough to listen) that if I don’t use a tamper that fits the basket like a piston in an engine and if it doesn't have an ergonomic, height adjustable handle my coffee is gonna taste like crap and I will be doomed to a life of coffee mediocrity.

It’s scare tactics and rubbish, they know it but ignorance breeds fear, if you’re a novice, or, if you don’t know and ask questions, the sermons begin, what’s happening of course is these snake oil salesmen are simply drumming up business, you can almost hear em rubbing their hands together.

Tamp your coffee with a pickle jar lid attached to a 100mm length of broom handle if ya want, it’ll work just fine.

As a matter of interest I bought a very nice 58 mm Reg Barber tamper 12 years ago, it ain’t a perfect fit in the baskets of any of the 3 machines I have owned over the period but it has done an excellent job on each and every one.

As Mal says, a 1mm gap is nothing, centre the tamper in the basket and it becomes .50mm, which is absolutely bugger all."

The thread is worth a read through if you have the time.
                      https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...expensive.html

Comment

+1 for Barista Hustle. Cheap, good quality, and works well. Mine is aluminium with a stainless base.

I don't like the rings on most of the Pullman bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamburglar View Post
                          +1 for Barista Hustle. Cheap, good quality, and works well. Mine is aluminium with a stainless base.

I don't like the rings on most of the Pullman bases.
                          Thanks mate. Do you buy them direct from the BH website, or is there an AU distributor?

Comment

The current Barista Hustle tamper is black anodized aluminium. I’ve had a range of tampers with the last two being the Pullman Barista and Barista Hustle. I liked both of them and would be happy with either. I think the matched pair is a little unnecessary, but having something that isn’t too much of a loose fit definitely makes a difference in my experience.

Comment

Thanks mate. Do you buy them direct from the BH website, or is there an AU distributor?
                              I bought mine from the Australian distributor. They often have email discount codes. I paid $59.25 shipped

My old Pullman has been machined down to fit a smaller LSM group. It's a lot better without the rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X