Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First VST result

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First VST result

    For what it is worth here is my first VST coffee.
    My cridentials. Absolute novice !
    I recently purchased a 20g vst ridgeless basket and a jetblack flat 58.35 tamper. (reasonably snug fit, but some wigggle room)
    Adusted my grinder down 3 steps finer from my original rocket basket setting and measured out 20g.
    Flow rate was too slow at around 45 seconds so I will shift my grind 1 notch coarser next time.
    Anyway it was the best flavour I have had from this bean, richer, smoother, great !
    Puck looked good, no channeling. So my concerns regards comments about the vst being difficult to master were not the case. So far so good.

  • #2
    Yes, they are awesome.
    You should consider to buy/beg/borrow a bottomless portafilter, so as to check your work. There may be taste improvement also.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ermat View Post
      So far so good.
      More importantly, how did it taste?

      Mal.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Dimal View Post
        More importantly, how did it taste?

        Mal.
        Like I said above

        Anyway it was the best flavour I have had from this bean, richer, smoother, great !

        Comment


        • #5
          my experience with vsts too. they let the water flow through faster, so you have to grind finer to get the same contact time, and the higher extraction gives you a tastier cup.

          speaking of, scott rao's new trick with the aeropress filters let the water flow through faster too, so you can do another tighten up for an even higher and tastier extraction. people with good grinders and decent machines are hitting 26-27% now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Linky Woodhouse, you teaser...

            Comment


            • #7
              I found this photo https://i.imgur.com/RxYUepM_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium and this post https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw7JZFSnCeb/?hl=en. The first photo is from Reddit so I don't know if it's Scott's or not.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                I found this photo https://i.imgur.com/RxYUepM_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium and this post https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw7JZFSnCeb/?hl=en. The first photo is from Reddit so I don't know if it's Scott's or not.
                wow ! So would the grind need to be coarser with the filters ? My cridentials. Absolute novice !

                Comment


                • #9
                  I found a hb thread about it. Seems like the suggestion is a 10-20 micron filter paper, and a aeropress filter on top.
                  Last edited by Jackster; 5 May 2019, 10:50 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ermat View Post
                    wow! So would the grind need to be coarser with the filters? My cridentials. Absolute novice!
                    According to the comment in the link (emphasis mine):

                    Six or seven years ago my friend @soyboyandy told me he had been using an aeropress filter under his espresso pucks to absorb fats and cholesterol. Andy reported the interesting side effect that the filter allowed him to grind finer and extract (1.5%?) higher.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by woodhouse View Post
                      my experience with vsts too. they let the water flow through faster, so you have to grind finer to get the same contact time, and the higher extraction gives you a tastier cup.

                      speaking of, scott rao's new trick with the aeropress filters let the water flow through faster too, so you can do another tighten up for an even higher and tastier extraction. people with good grinders and decent machines are hitting 26-27% now.
                      Originally posted by level3ninja View Post
                      I found this photo https://i.imgur.com/RxYUepM_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium and this post https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw7JZFSnCeb/?hl=en. The first photo is from Reddit so I don't know if it's Scott's or not.
                      Wwwow.... that is fascinating... especially about the top filter greatly eliminating channelling which is indeed significant.... I feel some experimenting coming up!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
                        Wwwow.... that is fascinating... especially about the top filter greatly eliminating channelling which is indeed significant.... I feel some experimenting coming up!
                        Yep. Well worth looking in to and testing for yourself to see if you like the end result in the cup.

                        Will be testing additional filters on Robot at work and home machine.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good utilisation of my aeropress filters, considering I use a metal one for aeropress.

                          The HB thread I saw was here:
                          https://www.home-barista.com/espress...ck-t58544.html
                          Last edited by Jackster; 5 May 2019, 10:51 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by matth3wh View Post
                            Yep. Well worth looking in to and testing for yourself to see if you like the end result in the cup.

                            Will be testing additional filters on Robot at work and home machine.
                            Originally posted by Jackster View Post
                            Good utilisation of my aeropress filters, considering I use a metal one for aeropress.

                            The HB thread I saw was here:
                            https://www.home-barista.com/espress...ck-t58544.html
                            Awesome, thanks guys, can't wait to try it

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by woodhouse View Post
                              my experience with vsts too. they let the water flow through faster, so you have to grind finer to get the same contact time, and the higher extraction gives you a tastier cup.

                              speaking of, scott rao's new trick with the aeropress filters let the water flow through faster too, so you can do another tighten up for an even higher and tastier extraction. people with good grinders and decent machines are hitting 26-27% now.
                              Just wanted to point out, Scott Rao might have just started talking about it, but there were home baristas experimenting with the exact same idea in 2015, if not earlier...

                              Edit: Make that 2011, if not earlier...
                              Last edited by MrJack; 5 May 2019, 10:08 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X