Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a portafilter gauge?

Hi Guys,

Any chance there is a how to build thread on the forum here? where and what to buy

I'd like to check my pressure

From another thread -

"If you're ever looking for a good quality Pressure Gauge for OPV adjustment or troubleshooting, I can recommend one from Edesia Espress which cost around $45 landed from the UK.

They're Certified and more solidly built than the plastic bodied ones. If you search "Edesia Espress Portafilter Pressure Gauge" you'll find them."

Remove the spout from your existing portafilter and attach gauge temporarily for pressure testing.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
      From another thread -

"If you're ever looking for a good quality Pressure Gauge for OPV adjustment or troubleshooting, I can recommend one from Edesia Espress which cost around $45 landed from the UK.

They're Certified and more solidly built than the plastic bodied ones. If you search "Edesia Espress Portafilter Pressure Gauge" you'll find them."

Remove the spout from your existing portafilter and attach gauge temporarily for pressure testing.
      If I were in the market for a gauge this is the way I would go, inexpensive, easy and from what Cafelotta tells us, a quality unit.

Comment

I'd also suggest utilising a Blind Filter to fit the hardware to rather than the Group Handle, as then the end result can be used on a multiple of 58mm filter spec'd machines - In case some friends need your assistance...

Mal.

Comment

I agree mal, but then I was thinking that it's not useful unless the friend has a naked portafilter.
          At least it seems most (a few?) portafilter threads are fairly standard.

Comment

Hi Hoggy42
            have a look at this thread, it may help. I used Greg’s gauge and it helped

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-eq...auge-road.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
              I agree mal, but then I was thinking that it's not useful unless the friend has a naked portafilter.
              At least it seems most (a few?) portafilter threads are fairly standard.
              Yep, that's true enough mate.
              I guess I was just thinking that naked PFs seem to be almost ubiquitous these days, but of course, they're not...

Mal.

Comment

My thoughts too. That's why I have both setups!

Comment

Thanks guys top advice there.

I don't have a naked portafilter I would like to get one in future. I did however pick up a 2nd portafilter really cheap a VBM which fits the expobar as expected and as luck would have it came with a 20g VST basket.

I've had this machine for around a year it has no gauges what so ever the previous owner tells me it was serviced before I got it but since then has had a new pump and other bits so I doubt it's going to be running at the correct pressure.
                  the other question that came up while researching this pressure gauge is some people are putting a tap on the end to simulate a pour is this important for setting the pressure or just misinformed?

Thanks
                  Last edited by Hoggy42; 6 June 2019, 03:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Mine just leak a bit.

Comment

I've ordered the unit that
                      Cafelotta suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggy42 View Post
                        I've ordered the unit that
                        Cafelotta suggested.
                        If you ordered it on EvilBay, just be aware there were 2 postage options.

The standard economy option currently shows delivery "Estimated between Mon. 17 Jun. and Mon. 23 Sep".

The slightly more expensive tracked option shows delivery "Estimated between Tue. 18 Jun. and Fri. 5 Jul."

I think mine took around 3 weeks but I can't remember which postage option I had.

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                          If you ordered it on EvilBay, just be aware there were 2 postage options.

The standard economy option currently shows delivery "Estimated between Mon. 17 Jun. and Mon. 23 Sep".

The slightly more expensive tracked option shows delivery "Estimated between Tue. 18 Jun. and Fri. 5 Jul."
                          I did and it's on the slow option I figure I've been using it for months this way I can live with it a bit longer.

Comment

some people are putter a tap on the end to simulate a pour is this important for setting the pressure or just misinformed?
                            It is a more accurate way to do things but not essential.
                            Simulating the flow rate for the way you like to pulls shots, ensures that what you record is optimum for you.
                            Without an adjustable valve, you need to set the OPV so that your brew pressure reading is about 1.0Bar +/- 0.25Bar higher than than the so-called ideal of 8.5-9.0Bar...
                            That will get you very close.

Mal.

Comment

I don't have a naked portafilter I would like to get one in future. I did however pick up a 2nd portafilter really cheap a VBM which fits the expobar as expected and as luck would have it came with a 20g VST basket.
                              If it's brass I'm happy to convert it to naked for nothing, you pay postage both ways.

Comment

Working...
                              X