Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing/cleaning stainless

Hiya all
    Ina couple of threads which for the life of me i cannot find, few have spoken about good cleaning products for stainless, ie panels driptrays etc.
    I known that autosol works for really bad panels but is also abrasive and ive only used that on already “lived in” drip trays but there were other useful less abrasive products,
    Could those that know please mention what youve used with good results?
    Pls thanks 👍🏻

If it is just for removing stains, you could try a bit of espresso machine backflush detergent to wipe the panels with. If it is for polishing as in removing a tiny layer of worn surface to restore shiny looks, I wouldn’t know really.

Comment

G'day Sullo...

Probably the easiest system to use is one made by a mob called California Custom Products called Purple Metal Polish.
      Here's a short video on how the system works. Although demoing on aluminium, the same method is used for s/s...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VzwUD3IzTk

Mal.

Comment

+1 For the Purple Polish. See my results here

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...questions.html

Comment

For heavy-duty work I've used an electric drill with polishing wheels and abrasives. Restores the shine on dull scratched surfaces.

If the surface is scratchless come automotive polish or cuttin cream if in fair condition.

Comment

If you are just trying to remove greasy finger marks, coffee splashes and water spots from otherwise undamaged panels on a new(ish) machine, the best method is to get 2 microfibre cloths.
            Give one a bit of a blast with the steam wand to make it warm and damp (or the hot water spout if you need it wetter for really dirty bits), wipe over the dirty bits to clean them off, then before the are dries off, buff it dry with the other (dry) cloth.
            Works better than any actual 'professional' stainless cleaning products I have used.

Comment

"Bar Tenders friend."

Buy from Coles. American product as the name suggests. Very easy to use and works by chemical reaction not scouring. Recommended by Scanpan for their SS pots and frying pans. Leaves lovely bright finish .

Comment

BTF is mildly abrasive, it contains feldspar.

Comment

Originally posted by MorganGT View Post
                  Works better than any actual 'professional' stainless cleaning products I have used.
                  Yes, agree...
                  If there're no scratches or crazing to deal with, then this is definitely the best method to use.
                  Kept our Diadema machines looking in showroom condition after many years of use...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird View Post
                    BTF is mildly abrasive, it contains feldspar.
                    Interesting. They suggest wiping on and leaving it sit for short time but not "scouring". So is the feldspar "scouring" the cleaning action or a chemical action?

Comment

All of the above. It contains a couple of acid cleaners, one of which (oxalic) has the useful property that it will dissolve iron oxide and the other (citric) helps with chromium oxide layer formation, known as passivation.

Feldspar is mildly abrasive, it will cut steel but not chromium oxide (the inert layer on SS). The idea is that any existing oxide layer will be left intact but anywhere the layer has been disturbed the combined action of the abrasive and chemical cleaners will strip it back to bare metal so the oxide layer can reform.

Comment

Always interesting info Lb...

Mal.

Comment

Cool thanks everyone
                          This is for machines im restoring, i shouldve said that
                          Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo View Post
                            This is for machines im restoring, i shouldve said that
                            Got that mate, all good...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                            X