Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler pressure relief valve opening

Hi all

I’ve got an ECM Technika that’s given me years of trouble free service. Recently the Pressure relief valve is popping open when the machine is initial warm up. It goes off about once per second. If I run some water through and it draws cold water into the boiler it fixes it and it never happens again until the next time it heats up from cold.

Is it time to replace the valve?

Cheers

DS

It could just need a clean, you can take it out clean and soak in descaler for an hour or so, maybe it is sticking or something. I have had a few machines I worked on where the anti vac valve just stuck open and blowing off steam when they warmed up to full pressure.

Have you noticed your boiler pressure gauge running higher than usual (should be 1 -1.2 bar)? If it is running high when the valve is popping then you might have a pressure stat that is playing up and the boiler pressure (and temperature) is getting too high. Your PStat might need to be adjusted or replaced.

Comment

Are you certain it is the over-pressure valve, and not the anti-vacuum valve? They are usually next to each other.

Agree with Roosterben about looking at the pressure gauge. If the pressure is within the normal range and the valve is going off it would appear to be a faulty valve.
      If the pressure is way too high, then the valve is doing its protective job. So look for a faulty pressurestat.

Comment

Boiler pressure relief valve opening

Thanks for the replies.

Could be the anti vac valve. Will check out where it’s coming from.

Re boiler pressure, it looks right. It sits pretty closely to 1 bar.

Cheers

DS
        Last edited by double_shot; 1 October 2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Checked it out tonight. Definitely the pressure value. The anti vac looks to be working fine. Pressure valve going off at about .8

Have taken out pressure valve and soaking in descaler. Will see how it goes. I think a new valve will fix it in the worst case.

Comment

A new valve is definitely required as they are a certified protection device.
            Once they're faulty, you should just chuck 'em in your recycle bin of choice...

Mal.

Comment

Thanks for the help. New valve installed and it’s back running as good as new. Harmony is restored in the house!

DS

Comment

Working...
              X