Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone making accessories themselves?

Hi folks,

Just diving into real coffee and as I'm a woodturner (who also has a metal lathe in the workshop which I still have to learn to use!) I'm planning to make some bits and pieces - first up was a knockbox out of epoxy and ebony:

Click image for larger version

Name:	knockbox.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	763287

The ebony bar is wonky because I couldn't figure out a good way of laying out the holes, will have to think about it more if I do another.

Anyone else making this kind of thing and have any tips or suggestions on other bits and pieces that are better made than bought? Planning on making some tamps when I have time...

Cheers,

Danny

Most of my life I've had an irresistible compulsion to make things normal, stress-free, leisure-filled people simply went out and bought in a flash.

Made my kids bed, wardrobes, house extensions, crystal set radios, speaker cabinets, desks, table saws, landscaping...the list is endless.

I am so glad I had an epiphany and now I am normal. I now buy and with the new-found extra time I have, I wear clean clothes and visit coffeesnobs.com

I made my own awful wooden tamper. Then I ordered a 560 gram one of solid stainless steel. I made my knock box from bits of plywood epoxied together, laminex interior, aluminium bar inside poly irrigation pipe. I hate it but it's fairly large. Improvised aluminium baking trays as a moat in which the grinder and its stray far-flung grounds sits... Hate it too.

Empty Coles 10L plastistic spring water bottle for my reservoir. Hate it. Old 2 L kerosene bottle into which the drip tray empties. Hate it.

Comment

Hi Danny

If your interested in making a set (3 knobs) of knobs for level, steam and hot water from my ECM machine get in touch

Regards

Martin

Comment

Nice work Danny...

That knock-box looks a million dollars.

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by rtyuiop View Post
          Hi folks,

...first up was a knockbox out of epoxy and ebony:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23659[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Danny
          Wow, that look unreal, great job!

I love tinkering, fixing, making all sorts of stuff, nothing like a successful DIY.

Cheers

Comment

That's an awesome knockbox, I have a lathe I bought to make drip tips and got into making timber finished pens,
            Since "getting back into" rebuilding machines Ive toyed with the idea of making coffee related items, tampers, group handles but haven't quite got off my butt until I get these machines finished.
            Bloody nice knock box thou, well done!!

Comment

Make your metal faced tampers with timber handles, are you mixing expoxy up like pen turners make?
              I say go for it dude!

Comment

Originally posted by Mb21 View Post
                Hi Danny

If your interested in making a set (3 knobs) of knobs for level, steam and hot water from my ECM machine get in touch
                G'day Martin, once I get my own setup done I might give it a go.

Should be an easy job though - I'm betting there is a woodturner's club somewhere near you where you could get someone to do them for whatever liquid refreshment they prefer, and it'd be easier than me trying to do it remotely!

Cheers,

Danny

Comment

Anyone else making this kind of thing and have any tips or suggestions on other bits and pieces that are better made than bought? Planning on making some tamps when I have time...
                  Maybe a Tamping Station to match your knock box? Nice job by the way! If you do another you could make a template by wrapping paper around the outside and cutting this to match the profile of the knock-box. Lay paper flat and accurately mark out your holes in the correct locations. Re-wrap and transfer hole locations.

Something like the ECM tamping station might suit.......... (possibly a matching dosing funnel also?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ECM Tamping Station.jpg
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	750782 Click image for larger version

Name:	ECM Tamping Station2.jpg
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	750783 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood Dosing Funnel.jpg
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	750785
                  Last edited by CafeLotta; 13 October 2019, 12:19 PM. Reason: added Dosing Funnel picture

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo View Post
                    Make your metal faced tampers with timber handles, are you mixing expoxy up like pen turners make?
                    I say go for it dude!
                    Yeah, that was my plan - stainless tamp done on the metal lathe with a nice turned wooden handle.

I'm a pen turner too (among other things) who casts a fair bit, so casting the blank for knock box was straightforwards. Was a little bit of an adventure hollowing and finishing the bottom of it though!

Cheers,

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by CafeLotta View Post
                      Maybe a Tamping Station to match your knock box? Nice job by the way! If you do another you could make a template by wrapping paper around the outside and cutting this to match the profile of the knock-box. Lay paper flat and accurately mark out your holes in the correct locations. Re-wrap and transfer hole locations.

Something like the ECM tamping station might suit.......... (possibly a matching dosing funnel also?)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23665[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]23666[/ATTACH]
                      Like the tamping station idea, would cut down on mess and I think help keep things level! Added it to my list.

Yeah, if I do another I think either a template or drilling with a guide instead of freehand will be the way to go. If I was making more than one or two I'd build it into the mould which would be a permanent fix.

Comment

Ive gotten off making pens since I started new job, lack of time, but damn you've given me some great ideas, and to think I 3d printed a doser funnel yesterday I could've turned one!!!
                        Brilliant!
                        Cant wait to see more of what you make !

Comment

Hi folks,

Just diving into real coffee and as I'm a woodturner (who also has a metal lathe in the workshop which I still have to learn to use!) I'm planning to make some bits and pieces - first up was a knockbox out of epoxy and ebony:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23659[/ATTACH]

The ebony bar is wonky because I couldn't figure out a good way of laying out the holes, will have to think about it more if I do another.

Cheers,

Danny
                          Morning Danny, Wilcox Custom Coffee Parts are into wood turning, he seems to have gone a bit quiet lately.

Some nice photo's here.
                          https://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-e...gear-wood.html

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                            he seems to have gone a bit quiet lately.
                            Appears he may no longer be a Site Sponsor...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                              Appears he may no longer be a Site Sponsor...

Mal.
                              Noticed that, I imagine the market would be somewhat limited.

Comment

Working...
                              X